• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Hunting

Rick

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fivebucks

• tjhunter

• Grabs

• Shorelunch

Well I ordered that book from Clancy, I found it for under $9 with shipping.

Should be a good read for under 10 bucks.

Thanks for the input.

Has anyone had a deer processed in the N or NW metro this year? If you had good or bad results, please let me/us know!

fishgun,
back up to page 12 and read my post. I recommend starting with a box of each and see which patterns the best. Remember, take the shooter out of the equation when testing ammo, use a gun vise or sandbags at a minimum. I am surprised at how many people do not use something to steady themselves when sighting in.

One more week. Are you all gettin excited.

I know I can't wait. hats why we are heading up Saturday, to check things out.

Good luck
Happy hunting

The deer are almost in full rut up by Grand Rapids,we found several scraps and lots of rubs.Saw a small buck chacing a doe that was not in estrus yet.
Benny

Benny
I saw in one of your posts that you will be hunting in the Pengilly area, are you from the area ??? I grew up on the north end of Swan, hunted grouse and deer out on the tailings pond area. there sure are a lot of deer around.

Graybuck, have you fished Swan at all this year? I heard things were pretty good up there this fall? My Dad and I usually take part of a day and hit the water for some walleyes when we come up to work on deer stands, but we didn't have time this year and Grandpa had already winterized the boat.

My grandparents live in Hibbing and we hunt north of Hib Tac out off of Hwy 5 heading to Side Lake.

Good to hear you are seeing high numbers. When we came up 73, between Floodwood and Hibbing, I could easily count 50 some deer! This is getting a good look at them, body and all. There were plenty of others I am sure, but when your headlights cast there way into the ditch and the ditch begins to glow,..where does a guys start counting!

Good luck this season! If your hunting zone 175 check the DNR site for a list of registraion stations that are going to be taking samples in this zone.

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 11-04-2002).]

Graybuck,yes I sure did grow up there.Lived on the Calumet cut off.Send me an email so we can chat a little.
Did you used to use the user id of ranger?

Grabs, my unckle has done fair out by MR. Robers bar nad grill.He seems to have that lake dialed in, I have only cauth a few Walleyes out ther ein all the years I grew up next to it.We always had better luck fishing Buck LAke or Spider Lake north of Nashwalk.
The old deaf camp shore line on the south side used to put out a few in the weeds, also along the east side by the old public landing.Swimming beach area did fair as well on the north west side.

Benny

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 11-04-2002).]

Benny,

So you must have been a greeny???? I am heading for deer camp on thursday with my dad. I have some land a a shack north of Cook where we hunt out of now.

I have always used the handle of graybuck, I think I know who the Ranger is you are talking about, he lived on Swan also, but on the south end by the bridge.

Grabs
I usually fish off the folks dock on the spring and may get out a few times during the year on swan.

I wish both of you guys a great season and be safe

Yep I was a Greeny,all though I didn't have any school spirit.Prefered to get home do the chores,home work and hit the trails with the gun,boat or the three wheeler.
The Ranger I was refering to lives over by the old boat landing on the east side, he went to Greenway also.
Good luck this season, Benny

Heading up to the deer shack tomorrow AM. I am pumped up. Now I just have to get my work done so I don't have to stay at the shop until midnight. Good luck to everyone!

Hey Graybuck
Have you seen or heard if anyone has gotten the Side Lake Ledgend? I had the chance to see it a few years ago heading to Riverside on my way up to the shack. (yes it was before I had any Bulldogs) Man was that a Buck! I spent many a season close to where the Snake trail and Taconite Trail intersect
Addicted

Side Lake Legend? We have one by our area that we call Ol' Moss Back, but I haven't heard of the Side Lake legend.

Addicted, where do you live, you probably know some of the guys I hunt with, at least if you spend any amount of time out at Riverside. Does Snidarich ring any bells?

Benny
I do know the Ranger you are talking about, his folks and his uncle are old friends of the family. I was the same as you, after school I would head out hunting and fishing.

I am heading for deer camp today, my cousin is coming up to bow hunt for the rest of the week. Man I love this time of year.

Addicted
I have not heard of anyone shooting a real big buck in that area so it may still be there. I know the snake trail and taconite very well. I am one of the groomer operators that tries to keep the taconite trail and timcorey nice and smooth for the beelers.

Good luck to all and remember to take a kid hunting!!

SAUSAGE QUESTIONS?

Greetings - I was having my sausage made by Brotherson's meats in south Minneapolis but they closed. Next I went with Krazmaczek's on east hennepin - They closed!!

A week from Monday 11/18, I'll have trimmings from six deer to process and I need your help and recommendations.

Where have you had good luck with your sausage? I'm looking for someone in the metro that comes highly recommended. But for the right quality and flavor, "Have Trimmings will Travel". I'm primarily interested in venison sticks but will also have some Thuringer and links made if my batch is large enough.

I can't wait for saturday morning! BOOM!!!!

Grabs :
From Little Canada. Snidarich doesn't sound familliar, however I'm sure we've crossed paths. I used to hunt with Koenesky/Rupar bunch.Hunted there from 89 until 99 then I moved down to the Sandstone area.I hunt Sandstone the 1st & 2nd Weekends, but do get back up to Side Lake there for 3rd. Ol Moss Back? That might be him. I saw him closer to Linnea's corner. I stopped in with my buddy to Riverside agfter I saw it and Silas overheard us talking and said we just saw the Ledgend.
Graybeard:
Thanks for the smooth trails! I appreciate it! Good Luck this weekend!

Pengilly? Do You know D Nelson?

I found out my slugs are shooting about 4" low at 50 yards on my 870 smooth bore barrel.
I have a Simmons 4X shotgun scope and the person who adjusted the scope last year is not around to adjust it for me. The windage was perfect with all shots, but it shot 4" low.
How do you adjust he scope to make it aim correctly?

------------------
F-STOP

Finlander,
There should be two screw on caps on your scope. One is for the elevation and the other is for the windage. The elavation is on the side of my scope. To adjust, take off the cap and look at the arrows on the scope. To make my scope aim higher I have to click the adjustment down. It is usually 1/4" per click. For 4" you would have to turn it down 16 clicks. You can here it click so it is easy to count. Make sure you shoot a couple more times before heading out to the stand to make sure that you are on the mark. It is relatively easy to adjust. Good luck and have fun!!

Bushwacker

Finlander,

On most scopes, the elevation is on the top of the scope. Be sure to check, it should have an U for up or a R for right. Bushwacker is correct about how most scopes are 1/4" per click, but remember, that is for 100 yards. You will want to double the clicks for 50 yards = 32 clicks = 4" at 50 yards. Depending on where you hunt, you may want to set your sights for an inch or so high at 50. Finally, with a smooth bore accuracy beyond 100 yards is really iffy, so take that into consideration when in the field. Good luck!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Well I may be jinxing myself by asking this question, but here goes.....

Does anyone have a link for a good website with instructions on how to prepare a whitetail cape and head for mounting?

Guess I just wanna be prepared if it ever does happen.

Thanks

does anyone know any guides that are not too expensive looking to go on my first deer hunting trip thanks if you could give me some links or information thanks everyone