• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Hunting

Rick

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fivebucks

• tjhunter

• Grabs

• Shorelunch

What the hell is MN DNR doing so much differently than the WI DNR? Why the drastic difference in population densities. Nearly 100% of WI has more than 15 deer per square mile, while MN is nearly 100% less than 15 deer per square mile!

We really need to change some thinking here I think.

Well, their also having a problem with CWD.

Don't quote me on this, but from what I've heard they are offering 2 extra tags a day until they are gone. It doesn't sound like there is any legal limit at all, except for bucks, I'm sure.

If the ultimate goal is to reduce the deer population, why don't they reduce the price of a non-resident license for one year. Instead of trying to get one guy to harvest 10 deer, why not get 5 guys to harvest 2.

Since i had no success in mn i am going to try and hunt the WILLOW RIVER STATE PARK just across Wisconsin on 94 near hudson i believe has anyone ever hunted here Ill pay my 150 or whatever it is for my license and give it a try any information hints, on this area would be great anybody heading to that area.

Grabs,

Check this website out...

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/livehunts/ksdeer2002/

It's a live hunt in KS. It's very cool. He's sees trophy deer just about everyday. If he doesn't shoot them with his bow, he takes a pic of them and posts them on his site.

That's the type of deer I'd like to see when I go out hunting.

tjhunter

Grabs,

How did you do this weekend? I didn't see any deer. It is really thick up there. One guy in our party shot two small ones on Saturday morning.

tjhunter

I saw two does on Sat AM, but didn't take a shot due to many factors A) Didn't know exactly where our "wonderer" was at and I thought he was going to come from that direction B) I didn't know if they were pushed or just moving on their own and C) there was the possiblity the were responding to my fawn bleat and trying to get down wind of me. So the end result, no shot and the deer didn't circle back, so in hind sight I should have taken the shot when I had it, turns out the deer were moved by our "wonderer" he took a bigger loop than he had orignally planned on.

Another guy in our party shot a 3pt, the fourth was broken off.

So end of the season we were 4 for 5; 3 bucks and one small doe. Not a bad year!

hey all anyone going out for the muzzleloader gonna give it a try this year been wanting to give it a try for the last few years finally bought a LYMAN TRADE RIFEL 54 cal the only problem is were to hunt around the north metro areas any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tim

Hey Nick, we hunted 3B, 342, by Zumbro Falls, and we did really well, 3 bucks and 6 does for our party of 5 people.

I counted close to 30 deer on Saturday, and the land owner wants us to go buy more intensive harvest permits and thin them down some more. A good mix of age classes from a couple fawns to a buck and a doe that were at least 4 years old.(HUGE)!

Good luck to everyone else for the rest of the season.

Tim L.

I'll be out with the loader this weekend. There are quite a few public areas in the north metro.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/compass.html

Click on the above link. It is the DNR recreational compass and will show you the public land. There are thousands of acres up by Forest Lake. I'll be hunting the Lamprey Pass Wildlife Area.

Good luck

tjhunter

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

We ended up 5 for 6 during the rifle season. I'll be out muzzleloading this weekend.
Good Luck to all that are heading out.

Why do people drive home from deer camp with their dead deer in plain view for the rest of the traffic to see? I know most people are proud of their kills, but that has to be the stupidist display I've seen. Hunters should know better. With all of the anti hunting propaganda around today - this is just one more thing they can use. Not too mention, if someone isn't 'against' hunting, this is a good way to put a bad taste in their mouth.

The only exception to this is if someone is drivin a car home and they have no where else to put the animal.

tjhunter

[This message has been edited by tjhunter (edited 11-29-2002).]

pretty bold words there TJ! I haven't given that much thought, but it make some sense. I just wish you would have chosen your words a little more carefully. I think calling your fellow hunters morons is a cheap shot. I think you could have worded this a little better and still gotten your point across. I just noticed I share the same home town as you do. I am glad you did not say that to me face to face as I pulled my deer through our town on my ATV trailer! I will reconsider doing that in the future as I stated I never really gave it much thought, but I do resent being called a moron.

Hunt4food,

I apologize. I tried to find a different word(I even checked the thesauras in Microsoft word). I posted the same thought on a different bowhunting site with a little different wording. I also changed the original wording on this posting too.

Thank-you
tjhunter

Sounds like your suggesting we hide our kill? Wouldn't that be admitting there is somrthing wrong with killing and eating a animal?I enjoy seeing all the different racks,doe to buck ratios on the way home. Most of the deer are either strapped to cars or on trailers. Where else should they be? Hidden under tarps,in the truck leaking blood with your clothes,food guns whatever. I recieved many thumbs up on the way back with a large rack propped up for all to see.I'm sure lots would rather not see this but most can turn thier heads. Part of the hunt is to be proud of a kill,for me.As long as I have a right to hunt legally and kill I will refuse to hide from those who don't agree.This is not an attack on you for asking the Questions just my thoughts on the big dsplay.It may leave a bad taste in some mouths but so does the idea of animals starving.Most nonhunters I know understand the need, but they choose that hunting/killing is not for them.

I am suggesting that you hide them - until you get home. Then post the pictures here and other sites and brag about it to all of your hunting friends and family. If you think it is that hard to wrap up a deer in a tarp, then maybe you are just lazy. But if you are intentionally displaying your kill - then we can just agree to disagree. I live in an urban area. And I hate that hunting is not accepted as much as it is in rural areas, but I'm not going to force it down their throat by parading my kills around. You may be recieving some thumbs up, but you may have just negatively affected someones attitude towards hunting.

tjhunter

[This message has been edited by tjhunter (edited 11-29-2002).]

tjhunter

I do agree to disagree.It will be on my mind for the ride home next year.

Does any know of a reputable taxidermist that does european mounts, near the metro or within reasonable distance. Thanks Brian

Just wanted to see if there is any other late season bowhunters. I know i'm looking forward to some COLD evenings in the stand. I saw about 20 deer out during the last hour of light tonight. They must know the rifles are put away. just wondering if anyone else is seeing much throughout the rest of the season. Good Hunting!!

Eastsider,

I'll finish out the black powder season and then archery hunt until the 31st of December. I went out Thursday and chased a few deer away from my stand as I walked in. I was out on Saturday with my muzzleloader and saw three. Hopefully we can get a little more snow so it'll be easier to see where they are hanging out.

Where do you bowhunt at?

Good luck
tjhunter

Tj, I agree with you, in this day and age when anti-hunter sentiment is growing, the population is becoming more urban and farther away from the land, their is no sense in fueling the anti-hunter sentiment by having 'Bambi' tied on top of a car, dripping blood down the side, creating more anti-hunter sentiment. Tarps are cheap. If you want to see deer heads, subscribe to the Outdoor news.

Eastsider, I haven't been out bowhunting since the gun season ended, letting things settle down. But I do plan on making it out a few more times, depending on the weather and how the ice fishing goes. Plus I'd like to get out pheasant hunting a few more times - when we get that first 4-6 inch snow, I have to go out after the birds! Right now ice fishing is on my mind, need to get out and wet a line and hopefully catch a meal of fresh fish! smile.gif

Eastsider, I'll be out there with ya! I knew there were other die hards around. Dec 31,,,,,uhhh Cold? Whats this talk about displaying deer. I understand both sides, and agree with both sides, So i agree to agree and disagree wink.gif yah not everyone wants to see it.....Then somebody should clean up road kill faster,.....Whats the difference,...on the road or in the back of my truck. (the other hand),...It gives all hunters the same name. In Wisconsin you have to display it.

Superfish, there's a drop off site in Hastings just over the bridge on 61. It's on your right hand side if you're going south. It's just a little bait/hunting and fishing shop.