• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lanterns = Crappies

looperhunter

Still would like to know the difference between below the ice and below the waterline. I only see surface tension and temp. If its wrong below the waterline its wrong below the ice as well. WHERE IS THE GRAY AREA??????

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• united jigsticker

• LABS4ME

• Fish On

• kelly-p

Just when you think the fire is going out someone else throws another stick on !!!!

Wow, I just read the ENTIRE thread, this is getting overboard. I had a similar discussion about a crappie rig that had two hooks on it, I used it, took the fine for too many lines in the water, and didn't ask anyone if they thought it was legal again. The moral of my story is, if there's any question whether it's legal or not, don't do it, or e-mail the DNR and they'll be more than happy to mail you back with an answer.

Hey Labs , does that disco ball in your house constitute artificial light? smile.gif

If the application of artificial light made the crappies swim up the hole then I could understand all of the haggling here. I on the other hand have found that Red Lake crappies avoid the light, so no problem for me.

Muskybuck , ideas here are great! But have info to support your idea should a person disagree with you. If you were to make a accusation, blanket statement, or label someone then indeed you will here about it here. I think alot of people post with out thinking about what they say because of the aninimity of the internet. 0.02

------------------
" chaos , panic and disorder ... my work here is done. "
I.B.O.T. # 013

Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 11:14:18 -0600
From: "Tim Hage" <[email protected]> | This is Spam | Add to Address Book
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: legal question

Yes you can.

>>> tom tompson <[email protected]> 03/05/03 01:19PM >>>
i have a quick question for ya about ice
fishing......if i was on the lake fishing and i
drilled a hole not all the way through the ice (no
water) and placed my lantern in that hole would that
be a legal practice...thanks in advance for responding
rory

straight from the dnr smile.gif

i got my proof printed out that it is A OK to do this in the beautiful state of minnesota thank you for your time and i hope some of you feel bad for ripping fellow sportsman about a regulation you made up "i hope some of you fell like you need to take a shower"

[This message has been edited by Fish On (edited 03-06-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Fish On (edited 03-06-2003).]

I must say that I am a little surprised at the resulting answer from the dnr, but there it is straight from the horses mouth.

Ok, I can't argue with that! I apologize to anyone who I have offended by stating that this was cheating. This "new" line of thinking is opposed to what I have been told and witnessed in the past. Just for safe measure, I am going to print this email and carry it around! Thank you for correcting my line of thinking! See you on the lake, I will be the one with all the lanterns in the holes! Teasing of course! Get the big one!

I have been watching this tread for a couple days and I am amazed how the argument has went . It reminds me of back in Montana , asking the different FWP officers the same question. They are people too , complete with different answers. The captin of wardens told me that ,he always tryed to hire wardens who understood the spirit of the law.

Red river man , Im with you. I believe there is a fine line between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law! The spirit of the law is what was intended by our forefathers.IMHO. If asked if the light was there to attract fish and you answer yes then you should receieve a ticket. If its there to avoid it getting nocked over then OK.
Fish on why dont you put your lantern in an ice hole and then summon a CO to
" interperet" the law for you. I wouldnt rely on a person sitting in an office in st paul to avoid a ticket.

------------------
" chaos , panic and disorder ... my work here is done. "
I.B.O.T. # 013

Ok i've been trying to stay away from this topic BUT, I just e-mailed the dnr and asked the question in a slighyly different way. " if a person was ice fishing and drilled a hole half way through the ice and placed a lantern inside to attract crappies to the light. What can happen to this person, can he /she get a ticket, warning etc... or could the CO determine that it would not hold up in court and not bother this person" I allready have my own interpretation of this as definitely being illegal as it states in the regs. and I guess that is all that really matters anyway (my personal interpretation of the law) I am not on here trying to change the way other people think, just trying to get the facts straight for the ones that are undecided. I will post the answer whatever it is as soon as I recieve a response from the DNR. I only asked this question because the other question sent in was very generic. smile.gif spinach

Ok. I know I said I was done, but Fish On has struck a nerve.

I request you withdraw your statement in respect to your accusation of us "making up" a regulation.

Secondly, I request you read the literature in the 2003 DNR Regulations Handbook available at any vendor where fishing licenses are sold.

Thirdly, I do not believe you to be one of so much power and respected authority that anyone here should "feel bad" or "dirty" as you implied simply because you asked a generic question and got a very undetailed explanation in return.

"Yes you can". Yes I can what? Yes I can drill a hole in the ice to keep the lantern from tipping over?

Yes, I can drill a hole in the ice and use the lantern for purposes of attracting fish?

Or is it Yes I can be fined for doing this pre-described action?

Yes you can what? It just isn't specific enough for me. Do you see my point?

The DNR has so many people, and I have personally gotten differing answers from one CO to another.

Sorry. Your question didn't involve purpose, and the response you gave to the members here is totally disrespectful to some in my opinion.

If YOU knew the laws you would NOT have accused anyone of making up regulations.

Rhetoric, opinions, and b.s. aside, I have one question: If someone happens to get cited after reading your proclamation, will you pay their fine?

Fish On! Fish Off! ::Guzzle:: cool.gif

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 03-06-2003).]

"yes you can". What,is that suppose to be THE answer? Hey united jigsticker, I think you hit it right on the head. Fish on, I really think you need to read the regs. rolleyes.gif

I have one thing to add: If anyone believes a printed sheet of paper from their home computer is going to protect them and assist in making their case pleable in the field...Well, good luck with that one!

I can take and type any question I want, get a response back, copy, paste, and put it all on one sheet so the Q&A clearly reads in my favor, and the DNR e-mail address is shown so everything looks in order. Yep, make it look official.

On the same token, I can also backspace, edit, change words, phrases etc. That piece of paper means nothing.

Maybe what I'll do is just print out the "Yes you can" and use that as my free ticket for everything.

"I can have 400 Sunnies, it says so right here Officer, see!!!!" "Yes you can."

This is an exageration, but it makes the same point.

Fish On! Fish Off! ::Guzzle:: cool.gif

it says YES YOU CAN have your lantern in the ice in my eyes that says if you do there will be no questions asked and i never even thought of the option of editing this mabey i just dont have that mind set hopefully the dnr represenitive i mailed dose not have that crimanl mindset either at least enough to back up what he wrote and I do also think that was kind of a bad answer he could have went into detail but hey thanks for jumping down my back about what he wrote and for the question what is not said in it that should be i asked if it was a legal practice and i got.... yes you can wich to me means yes it is if it was a "gray area" i think this dnr rep. who im sure has at least 4 yrs of schooling to do this occupation would have at least wrote yes you can unless..... so united i guess YES YOU CAN edit this to what ever you want it to say and i guess people do think of stuff like that is why it would not hold up and to tell the truth ive never even done this i mailed the dnr expecting absoulutly not but i was wrong i got yes you can so mabey i will try it out and see how it works smile.gif if you dont want to dont if a dnr asks if it to lure crappies i can honestly say no its to lure the plankton in which minnows follow and i guess if the crappies come to I aint gonna complain smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Fish On (edited 03-07-2003).]

I agree that just having the word yes you can does not mske me believe it either. The fact remains its is artificial light and it is being used to attract fish. Wrong in my eyes. Also you should get some reading done Fish On.

I personally would not take the chance, but just how it varies on speeding infractions when driving, would also have similar reaction by a DNR enforcement officer,DA,and the Judge who whould be hearing the case. Maybe if you could get a warden to sign off to your specific question, with a actual written signature, the judge may have some lienency if he disagrees.

I keep a Monopoly "Get Out of Jail Free" card in my wallet, just for situations like these smile.gif

I should clarify this by a example, I once went directly to a regional wardens office to personally get the answer to one of my questions . The captin of wardens thought I would be OK, I asked him If he could call the state headquarters and they thought I would be ok. But then the captin asked one of his wardens who just came in from the field and that warden disagreed with the state main office. The captian then told me that even if he aggreed with me, he would stand in back of one of his officers if they wrote somebody up on it. So get a actual signature on a specific question if something is in the gray area and that might,MIGHT stand up in court. Be careful when you walk the line, we all do to some degree . tongue.gif:

Fish On!

I love you man!!!!!!

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!! I wasn't replying because everybody told me that it was illegal, and I was trying to get an answer from the DNR also. I did, they said the same thing. yes, as long as you are not through to the water.

I won't glote anymore....

This whole thing can go on forever. I took my two cents out of the discussion once it started to get personal, but now I have to jump back in. I have talked to the DNR by phone so I really can't put it as a attachment. But when I called and explained the whole situation. On the ice, in the ice and attracting crappies. After asking the question they said they would have to get back to me. Well expecting a "no" on everything except on the ice I was surprised. The DNR explained a few things for me. First of all, on the ice or in the ice issue was dealt with. The officer said that basically it was doing the same purpose if it was on or in the ice. Then I asked if it was used to attract crappies how would this be handled? He explained that for a officer to give a ticket on that he\she would need lots of proof. He felt that it would be impossible to prove that. I explained to him that I have done it on URL and have improved my fishing tremendously. He reply was that I got lucky. Just like all the others, meaning that some people can sit five feet away from somebody else and do excellent and the other person can't catch squat. "Good point" I exclaimed. Basically I can to the conclusion with him that it's allright to do as long as there is no open water below the light. In short it cannot be sumersed. That is just my two cents worth. Take it for what its worth. I just wanted to call and get some things straight because I was getting rediculed for a lot of this. Take this post for what it's worth with out getting personal. But it has convinced me that it can be done and there will be no tickets given. Just like the last two times I was checked and not a word was said. Thanks

Just another typical URL thread! LOOOONNNGGGG and every single point made again and again and again!! Hey, don't get me wrong! Keep it up! I love the reading it is good humor on my breaks at work!! grin.gif

------------------
I like Tail

One more thing! I am coming up to URL in two weeks am I going to need an extension for my ice auger!! Just Kidding grin.gif

------------------
I like Tail

Lets check n see if we can string christmas lites on top of the ice,will the wardens view the blinking ones differently,how bout the different colors ? While were at it how bout trowing firecrackers down the hole or maybe import some electric eels for bait ? Oh well the tribe will be using the nets in a couple of years, so much for sportsmanship. I personally don't care if people use lights in the ice , but my point has been and still is , what you're told and if you are cited with a violation, it may or may not stand up in court. Just as you have different opinions here , so like wise will people in the legal system. No big deal, do you drive 60 in 50 mph zone, how about 62, It's your call but also your fine. As I get older I find myself pushing the limits less. But if you do use lites in the hole , I wish you luck. I hope it was worth the trouble. smile.gif

lundprov

Hey, I gotta hand it to ya man, great post. This issue can be put to rest, I'm sure that there's still some who don't believe it; or now that they see it's legal will try to impose thier own moral beliefs. It's a free country though people can say whatever they want, It is just too bad though that some people feel the need to impose thier view point on you even when thier wrong just because they are stubborn.

Good Fishing to everyone though.

Fish on

That is the point exactly. I never said people should not have thier own views, I do have a problem with people sticking thier nose in other peoples business telling them that what they think is right and that YOUR views are wrong. If somebody wants to use a lantern or do something else you don't necessarly agree with, that is no reason to attack that person. If your that much of a busy-body control freak then I for one would be happy if you considered taking up a different sport!!!