• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rude people on the ice!

GooseSlayer

i don't think it was even ten feet I didn't say anything to them considering it was a blizzard out but if you knew the lake theres no structure just a bowl why not spread out you maybe will get a shot at a fish then

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jigglestick

• united jigsticker

• LABS4ME

• Eric Wettschreck

jigglestick:

He11, somebody has to stir the pot in here! Or the rest of you are going to look like Hank Hill and the boys in the ally.......yup........yup.......yup.....yup.

Here's my real take on the subject.

Thirty years ago,(dawm few electronics then) yes, if I didn't know a lake, I would set up near everyone else, ask questions, shoot the breeze, then the next time out use what I was able to "learn". That's the key word here. It's easy to forget that not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to afford $400 for a FL18, $300 for the latest camera, $300 for the new flip-up house, etc. etc. etc. Let alone another grand for a computer to vist sites like this. Just maybe that guy that pulls up within 100 yards of everyone is a first timer. Sure there are PLENTY of Richard Craniums out there, but I figure, I need to give them the benefit of the doubt, until I know different. Myself, I seldom fish lakes bigger than a few hundred acres, just to stay out of the traffic situations. Nobody likes them, but if a fishery is as highly talked about like Red, it's gonna happen, same with Mille Lac, and on and on.

The point of my sarcasium is; if you choose to fish the Hot Lake of the year....Shut Up And Fish!

P.S. puppy dogs that have never heard a shot fired in anger, should think twice before talkin trash about flingin sh1t through the air. JMHO

10ft,DNR knows best? What everyone is talking about is common courtesy and respect for your fellow fisherpersons. you dont have to live on a lake to look around for fish,just move,its a bowl. personally I'm 4 hours away along with 3/4 of the people on this site and they seem to move around,and find fish. Lets just try to show some respect, those colt 45's are 16 ouncers and I have a good arm.

------------------

On structure bound lakes, where fish school tightly because it is their prime location for forage, oxygen etc, then yes, if you are new to the winter fishing scheme, fish close to the group.

The point that seems to be missed time and time again here is that your chances of catching a fish on URL because you feel secure next to the group do not increase. In other words, the fish do not follow the crowds.

The guy in the middle of nowhere has just a good a chance at catching a fish as you do if you go 1/4 or 1/2 mile east, north, south, west away from him. Being right next to him doesn't increase your odds, because as I have seen, being 10 feet away from the hothole can be the difference between limits and lull sometimes.

I guess it's the mentality that because they are brave enough to venture on their own that they must know something others don't and have a big secret spot on top the motherload.

They do have a secret, and it's been shared many times here.

Ya ready, here it goes:

Stay away from the crowds and drill a few holes

It ain't gonna kill ya. And when ya catch fish you'll feel proud.

GPS coordinates are great for getting let down on Red alot of times.

Just go and fish. and by the way... good luck smile.gif

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 02-11-2003).]

Crappiekeeper you should change your name to "Turkey Vulture"

Maybe this weekend i will confuse all the people that close in on me by throwing my limit of walleyes on the ice.........
On second thought maybe not.
If your within 10 feet of my house theres a good chance i could pee on you.

Here's my take on the situation! Do any of you hunt public land for deer? If so how would you feel if you went to your stand one morning, only to look 20 feet away to see another person sitting there?
-just a thought

When I was a kid the peaple in the town I grew up in didnt mind when I played on there yard. One day I thought it might be a good idia to go play in the farmers fields, till I got some salt in my backside shocked.gif So I figured that the farmer wanted to be left alone.......to say the least. So I would figure that if they are by themself they like it that way. Just my expirience..... wink.gifGood luck to you all

------------------
"SEE YA"......

Labrat, I see your point for 30 years ago, but gas stations and bait stores have topos. of Red, it's a bowl. before I had a vex or a shack I still kept my distance I'd never fished Red until 2000, but I didn't go by the crowds. sometimes it's better to be away from the people relaxing not getting PO'ed every time someone drives by and the craps.stop biting for a half hour

------------------

want more info on " to close " go to brainerd area in main forum page #2 same subject different area.
walleyedan and a great deal of us and others put a lot of time in on the water
to learn locations & patterns ( yes we give up other things; the remote,nice warm dry house, barstool, etc etc etc. ) WHY??
for some IT IS there livelyhood, others for there enjoyment to bring there family and/or friends to TRY and catch fish, so if you aint lost or invited stay THE H####LL AWAY!!

The main thing that happens when people set up close to each other is that they are all trying to catch the same fish. 10 people will not catch any more fish from one spot then 5 people but each one of those 10 people will now catch 1/2 as many fish as whey would have if they had spread out. Whether it is someone setting up alongside a hard house or one group with 4 or 5 portables if you do not spread out you are limiting yourself. Time and time again I see a group of people set all their portables 10 feet apart. What if that really good spot is 50 feet away? If everybody that fished URL went to the Res. Line and then looked to the NE, East and SE and realized just how big this lake is and how empty the middle is they would all wonder why we are fishing in little cities getting on each others nerves. grin.gif Good Luck All! smile.gif

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Good posts all, even the ones that feel that 'the DNR regs say 10 feet and its my right'. Hopefully by reading these posts those people will be educated to the fact that the majority of the fisherman don't appreciate you moving in on them. Maybe they'll realize that most fisherman feel that its like walking up to a person and saying 'puck you' - try that at the local bar and pretty soon you'll be getting your head beat in. Maybe they'll realize that a better approach is to educate themselves about the lake, be courteous, talk to fishermen, make some friends, and maybe they'll catch a few more fish and have a good time doing it.

Jiggle, thanks for the 'feel your pain' comment. I WAS venting, close fisherman and tailgaters are two of my pet peeves in life. Maybe see you around sometime, I'll bring the Colt 45 malts smile.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I can respect differing ideas and opinions.
We dont need joker's here that drop some crap then say "Just Stirring the Pot"
Sad part is I know why you do it. For the attention. Good or Bad dosent matter as long as someone acknowledges you.
The next time someone whats to come here and "Stir the Pot" go pull your sisters hair instead.

black jack, i had a pet peeve once. up and died. it got a labrat stuck in it's throat. the rat didn't do so well either smile.gif small irony. i'm not quite over it yet, though i will talk about it at the next triangulatics meeting, and try to wash down my sorrows with a colt 45 malt liquor. baby steps.
"shut up and fish" huh... i'd like to meet that guy....

------------------
keep a firm grip on your jiglestick!!....jigglestick....

I used to have a t-shirt that said "Shut up and fish." Every time I wore it fishing I got skunked. Then, one day, it got used as a rag to wipe up the mess that happens when ya drink a 12 of PBR before changing oil in the Heavy Chevy. Amazing how my fishing luck has changed for the better ever since the infamous SW Minnesota oil spill.

------------------
Grip it and rip it

Hey!!!
Those portables,when folded up,look like hockey nets,right?
Well how about a stick, a puck ,AND SLAPSHOT FROM THE BLUE LINE!!!!

Ooops, sorry got out of line.

Jar Jar

Guess ya'll missed my point, when I said "stiring the pot".

If everyone has the same opinion, and you just come in here to gripe to each other about that same opinion, it's just another hen party, and no one learned a thing.

Nope not lookin for attention, the ex's lawyers give me all I need.

Yup, "Shut up and Fish" came from a T-Shirt. Got one for the Ol Man, cuz I heard it a million times when I was a kid.

And I'm glad that freakin Peeve died, I still got the scars!

No. But the shirt that says "I've got a Crappie attitude"...I like that one. grin.gif

Just a comment on Kelly P.'s testimony.

I, a single jury, find him to be 110% correct on the case Crappie Catches vs. Crowds.

You have 14 feet of water. You have 3 feet of ice. And the fish are on the bottom.

Like Kelly said, in one tiny area of 5 guys, huddled together and drinking the MGD, Hamms, Pabst Blue, etc, you are only limiting yourself.

30 fish divided by 5 guys equals 6 fish per person.

Each guy moves 50 feet away, and they all get to catch their own limit..maybe. wink.gif

Theoretically, in a perfect world that's how it works, but at least you're increasing your odds. In some cases one guy in the group of 5 may catch the majority of the fish, or all of them, but it just depends on how much Busch Light everyone has had to drink.

Well Jigglestick I read one of your post saying that you guys have the best info. Well I'm going up their this saturday. Where do you think a good spot would be? Where is your house set up? Just seeing if you guys are as honest and friendly as you think.

Kelly p your last post was so good I had to compliment you on your way of thinking. For those of you that disagree and think it is ok to crowd in on other people just do the math and maybe it will change your minds. Why would anyone drive 5 hours, get to the lake setup in the middle of the biggest crowd where all the noise from augers, trucks, radios etc... is, limit themselves from finding their own hotspot that might last a few weekends or more!!! Good luck to all this weekend and please reread kelly p last post. keep up the great work kelly.

all excellent responces, I've only been up to URL a few times this year but I always keep at least a couple hundred yards or more between myself and anyone else. I have not slayed the fish yet this year by any means but I do ok and have never got skunked.

crappie keeper. would you like me to give you exact coordinates to my house??? how about the key, so you can fish in my holes? so now if i don't tell you where my house is i'm condisdered not honest? if you really want to know what i said, here it is-- " i gaurantee the best fishers on this lake read and post here". and yes some of the best info can be had here. if this is some sort of a smarta$$ little challenge then i won't bother. i'd be glad to help out anybody, with the best advise i can give. however the fish aren't in tanks under the ice. they move all the time. that is why i say what i say. pick a spot any spot. if you are cookie--i mean crowd oriented, then try this. don't be part of the crowd. just get outside the crowd. use the crowd. there are a certain number of fish in an area, and they get herded away from the crowd, to the outside of the crowd. it also helps to know which direction the crowd has grown, as the fish will be heading that direction away from the crowd. sure you can follow somebody to a hot spot, and maybe get on some fish, but if that is all you are worried about then i won't help you. the other thing to try is just pick a spot in the middle of nowhere. it works! that just isn't good enough for some people. they look one direction to the vast wide open, and the other way towards the crowds, and they are compeled towards the crowds. they can't help themselves. all they care about is catching a ****ed crappie! just once go out to the middle of no where and set up. if you don't have fish by 6:30, move a hundred yards in any direction. that's all there is to it. move around and keep trying till you hook up. also, try going home empty handed. it doesn't hurt that bad. anyways if you do it right you really won't be leaving empty handed, and i'm not talking about fish either. some people don't understand that part. refer to the post where kelly had some guests that came up for years every year, and never wet a line??? how can that be???
if you were to stop me in the middle of the lake,and ask me where a good place to fish would be you would be surprised what i'd tell you. i might just point right straight dow, and say "how about right here" i can give daily tips as to different reports i've heard, but that all changes from day to day...really. this is the best site by the way. open your mind and have fun!!!

------------------
keep a firm grip on your jiglestick!!....jigglestick....

Let me inform some of you on a little secret. If I go out Friday night and catch a limit of slabs out of one hole I am not going back to that hole the next night.

Is it because I take great pleasure in finding new spots..Well yes, on spot oriented lakes. But on URL there is no such thing as a spot.

A hothole one night could be a dead hole the next. It works that way quite often.

We are not being vague when we say "Go out in the middle of nowhere and drill some holes!

We are giving the very best advice to help put you on some of URL's world class Crappie Fishing.

Again I say, good luck, have fun, and let the Crappie Angels be with you

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 02-12-2003).]

Fellas and ladies. Since we're talking about advice, I have a question for ya's. Having never been to URL, I'm a stranger in a strange land. From reading the posts I've learned to stop at WW for some brewskis and good times and when fishing, avoid the crowds and venture off by yourself. This is good. What I'm wondering is, is there a certain time they bite best??? Where I live there really isn't a "Prime time." They pretty much bite when they want to. Where I grew up (bout an hour north of twin cities) you could set your watch by the 5:00 pm crappie bite. Is it the same on URL?? Is there a certain time I should quit bs-ing with the fellas, put down the beer, and grab the pole??????

------------------
Grip it and rip it

AMEN

Now everybody strike a Hamm's
Wet a line
And rip some lips

"Crappie Vulture" - You definatly do have a Crappie attitude!

Boilerguy...typically it's 1/2 hour b-4 dark to ?. Can go all night (like 2 weeks agobest time was 2-3 a.m.) or can be over in an hour. Some guys even find a school and catch them all day, I'm never that lucky (or should I say Kevin @ W.W. is very lucky cuz you know where'd I be headin even earlier grin.gif). But like I said keep the beer on the floor right around dusk.

Hey which beer is mine?

Ken

So, the trick is to pretty much be ready to be ready. Got it. Spose I can lay on the floor and tip the beer can over and just let it pour in and not have to worry about holding it. Thanks for the tip, really. I appreciate it.

------------------
Grip it and rip it

This has been an interesting post so i would like to tell you what I do. I have a sleeper that I have moved only once. I started out at Rogers and moved it over to Westwinds. I go to URL to get away from all the everyday headaches. Sometimes I catch fish and sometimes I don't. I just like to fish and meet new friends. So if anybody wants to park 10 feet from my house go ahead it is a green 8x12 with Minnesota spelled Minnsota on the door it is 5 miles out of Westwinds. Stop by if you like. Oh by the way did you happen to catch my USERNAME rolleyes.gif (jk)

Good Luck
Lock and Load!!!

When I am fishing red this march lets remember one thing I am "Crappie Getter"!!

Not "Crappie Keeper"

Just to eliminate the confusion ahead of time!!!

crappie getter,

------------------
Chris's Croix Guide Service
http://fishingminnesota.com/stcroixguide/
(651) 458-1899
[email protected]
St. Croix River

All I can say is what I know. Last year I went up with my brother and his two boys. We drilled about 12 holes stretching about 50 yards. We all took holes and started fishing. Wouldn’t ya know it, the guy in the middle started icen em, and the rest of us couldn't buy one. After a few hours we drilled holes around him just so we could get a few. After being on such a big lake we all realized how lucky we were. Coming up this weekend and looking for that lucky spot again :-)

[This message has been edited by fubar (edited 02-12-2003).]