• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rude people on the ice!

GooseSlayer

i think it's getting to be about time for the decoy houses again smile.gif i'll stop by the appliance store to look for the cardboard boxes. it's gonna take alot of duck tape this year to make one that looks like the big red barn smile.gif

------------------
keep a firm grip on your jiglestick!!....jigglestick....

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jigglestick

• united jigsticker

• LABS4ME

• Eric Wettschreck

I think on any lake 20 feet (or even 20 yards) is too close!!! I fish for relaxation, that means peace and quiet and some space. On Red, 100 yards is too close!! And to make it worse, the jerks that set up too close are always doing it at prime time, when the sun goes down. When people set up too close to me, I let them know it - verbally - so that they'll think twice about the next time that they're looking for a spot. Even the old saying 'do onto others as you want them to do to you' doesn't work because too many people in this society are use to living in town near people, looking out in the backyard and seeing what there 6 neighbors are doing, they drive the freeways to work and they're used to fighting the crowds in the stores - they think thats the way it should be out on the lakes - NOT!!

Whats really needed if for some crazy to pull out a .45 and blast a couple of these sheeple that get too close!! That will make people start thinking!!

black jack, i feel your pain man, but i really hope you mean a colt 45 malt liquor??? i would hate to see a bullet go astray, and hit an innocent crappie!!

------------------

Wow, no kidding. That is a bit crude don't you think. I think that most people do not know they are infringing on what is "too close". That might be 20 ft for some and 100 yards for others. Me and my group will be drilling all over the place and will be far from the cowds. Keep and eye out, you might see us pull a few up before we set the houses up. If you are lucky enough to catch us, come on out and join us, I might even have some PBR or schmittys for ya! Hope to see you on the ice and if I get too close, just let me know (without the .45). I just want to catch fish! Get the big one!

Wow!!! Look at the change in the "tude"!!!!

[This message has been edited by JAR JAR (edited 02-11-2003).]

Maybe they should a piece on fishing etiquette in the MN fishing laws book? Otherwise, I second the motion for the Colt 45! MALT!!

Nah.

It's not worth writing a piece on fishing etiquette. The ones that are ignorant and can only follow the crowd of other security seeking anglers won't read it anyways.

And even if they did, their guage of distance is probably no better then that of a cross eye kitten, and they will still seek to drink from the litter.

I am sorry to hear about the dude you thought was from Mankato. I am from Mankato and do totally agree with everyone here about setting up too close!!!! I have been to URL many times and the best fishing I have encountered was well away from everyone even people in my own group!!!

All Mankato people are not idiots like that one!!!

I can assure you Mankato does not have the market cornered on this kind of behavior. I've fished this state from border to border and where the fish are biting you have this happening. I don't see much difference in this then say going down the road and people cutting you off. We are living in a rude society!!! Respect, what is that?

While the wind is flappin your gums for ya, consider this, Ignorance is simply a lack of education, and can be addressed, Stupidity, on the other hand, is genetic. Did I mention how the majority of these posts read?

i wonder if i could buy a pit bull and leave him on a 50yrd leash outside my ice house?
well i suppose the people would still invade the space but they wouldn't last long smile.gif

Not sure what happened to my last post but...

I posted that the guy must be from Mankato .
I was only joking because I had a similar situation happen here in Mankato .

This is a good town and most of the fisherman that ice fish Mankato and surrounding lakes are pretty respectful of others .

Winter fishing is pretty low key compared to the summer days I spend on the lakes down here so I usually leave my weapons at home and save my ammo for those pesky JET SKIs .

Didn't mean to offend anyone from Mankato it is a great town !

Kelly P . If you are reading this I will look for this weekend at West Wind and will buy you a cold 1 .

Klbowe
No offense on my side, just commenting how society as a whole seems to suffer from this. Have you been out on any of the area lakes lately?

.....IGNORANCE IS BLISS............

Jiggle, of course I meant Colt 45 malt! Wasn't that obvious in my post??! smile.gif Was debating whether it would be a waste of good beer but just the thought of a can of beer thumping off the side of some ignorant intruders head makes me smile smile.gifsmile.gif I don't think emptys would have enough oomph, they'd HAve to be full ones. Now if the good folks on this forum could help come up with a launcher with a range of 100 yards...

[This message has been edited by BLACKJACK (edited 02-11-2003).]

Could these be the same ones that leave allthere trash when they leave. Lets everybody fishing Red this weekend take off with us more than we bring out. Yes it discusting that the majority have to pick up after the few.

labrat... if you don't like these posts you don't have to read them. they for the most part are written in good humor, and meant to offend no one. if it helps to feed your superiority complex, then complex away. glad to help. i see your posts have been very insightful. if it is purely hardcore tips , secrets, coordinates, you are looking for, ask away. i gaurantee the best fishers on this lake read and post here. might i add the most considerate also. but you better wear a smile when you ask cause these guys can sniff out a chump from a mile away.
good fishing. p.s. if i took your post the wrong way, then please disregard smile.gif

------------------

I have read all the posts about the rude people on the ice. Some people just have no clue that they are doing anything wrong. I don't know why. Maybe mommy didn't breast feed them long enough.To quote a famous man (namely my father.. however he is only famous to me.)small brains come in big packages. There I'm done ranting also.

Who moved my beer???

Oh, they know, they don't care, they have as much right to that space as you do. Common courtesy is a rare trait these days.

The common lingo here is "Crappie Talk" from those who have caught so many that the slime has acted as a sort of "canabis" in it's own respect, absorbing into the skin of the anglers here, in turn making them one step closer to the family of "Cropus Delecti" and further fueling the addiction.

It's similar to the nature of the "Crappie Flop" which is what I feel most inclined to attempt to immitate and impersonate when doing the "Shooks Shake" upon my arrival at the enchanted intersection of truth.

It's reality my friends. Some just may never understand...............

well been reading this thread from the start
and have to comment so here it is;
judging be the writers here most of US have
had similar experiences and different ways to
deal with "the to close" person/people. but what really works? just have to be creative.
open water;(there not going to move)so you move, oh s*******t forgot about the ancor!!! oh well waters a little dirtier smile.gif
icing; start drillinggggggggggg
furtherrrrrrrrrrrr away from you wink.gif then go make a good jester tongue.gif ( heyyyyyy buddyyyy works sometimes ) and offer them the fresh holes, but you want the opption if they start catching that you will be right over!!!! grin.gif

I just hope something good comes out of this topic. Hopefully some of the people that crowd will read these posts and try their own spot next time. I'm just saying find a nice day and give it a try. It truly is rewarding when you find your own fish.

Looks like the weather is going to start warming up come thursday. I think the crappies might start working their way shallower pretty soon. I'll be heading out their Thurday or Friday depending on the wind. It seems as though the crappie's don't move around a lot when it's windy.

I wish everyone the best.

When some run-off from melting occurs then look for some shallower fish.

Then again, they could be there already.

We should put up a bear in the air to clock these fish and keep an eye on their patterns.

On second thought, aviation probably isn't a good idea inside the triangle. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 02-11-2003).]

You talk about rude last year I was fishing in my house when I heard a auger start up so I poked my head out of my house I two guys where drilling holes right behind my pickup to use it as a windbreak talk about rude when I set my house up I was a half mile away from everybody the first three weeks I used my house I never fished more thant two hours at night for my limit then after three weeks I came back on friday night it was like I moved from the country to town I just about couldn't find my house there were so many houses around me. Why couldn't it go back to the weekends in the summer when there where only ten people around I used to be able to relax back then I been there through thick and through thin I'm getting sick of all these people that are up here for the good times why could'nt they be here for the good and the bad you know they will be here till the crappie run ends and when the walleye run starts but what will happen to them when in ten years everything levels out and the fishing is just normal they will all leave and we will be back to the same way we where before struggling to maintain a community

Well if the DNR made the distance limit 10 feet than that's right. I think the DNR knows what their doing more than most! Plus I don't have the time to look for fish like a lot of people. I don't live right by the lake. So far this year I have done well fishing by the Hard houses, and will continue until otherwise. I fish by the law and thats all one can ask.