• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This is a good debate, lets not think anyone is stepping on anyone's toes here.

I re-read the DNR assessment from 2001 and it shows there is a problem with some of their efforts in stocking. It appears that a lot (millions) of fry had died when released one year. There is an obvious issue with natural production. I have seen it personally in my fish I have filleted. My first walleye from W. Battle was 24", released. The second fish was 20" so I kept it. I put in a lot of work for the fish I have caught, so I deserved one meal even though I would hardly keep anything over 17". When I filleted the fish, it appeared to be a male because there were no eggs in it. That is one large male, if that is the case. Usually I find eggs in these fish, like on Otter Tail about the same week I caught a slightly smaller size eye and turned out to be female with eggs. I think walleyes struggle in that lake, regardless of muskies.

I was at Lake of the Woods a couple weeks ago and we caught a big eel pout. My buddy filleted it to find it FULL of 8" walleyes! There is also a huge population of pike in WB, some very large fish. Now they eat walleyes, why not blame them? I watch the walleyes and pike co-mingle on my underwater camera in Battle and they are not afraid of one another, but we all know pike prey on walleyes (and vis versa) and other fish...I've seen that first hand.

It also states that the population of sunfish and crappie are very strong in WB. I don't know that from personal experience, but I do know people catch lots of these fish....somewhere (they won't tell me where!). They are easy prey for walleye, bass, pike and muskie. Why are their populations so strong with the DNR's samplings? Strong reproduction? Must be because I didn't see anything about the DNR stocking panfish.

No doubt, it appears that the catch rate has decline quite a bit since 1983. But, also consider the poor stocking that occurred. The population just can't keep up with all the people taking the fish out of the lake...

cd...saw your little jab on finding sunfish...

in the summer ive found no better place than the west side of south point along the weedbed. just a slip bobber, a small hook and the smallest leaches you can buy will give you all the eating sized sunfish, blue gills and pumpkin seeds youll need for a tasty fry. get a little closer to the docks and the same combo works great for some really nice bass too... but try to use a barbless hook on the bass eh? throw em back so i can catch them to?

Hey carp, thanks for the insight! I'll be sure to give it a try. I won't take any bass, I love 'em too! (I have never kept a bass in my life). I will only keep a fresh walleye or 2 for a meal, that's all.