• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fall Bite is Definitely On

LakeofthewoodsMN

On the South End... Walleye and sauger fishing remains excellent with numbers of walleyes and saugers being caught.  The fall bite is definitely on.  Anglers are finding fish a bit shallower this week, ranging from 20 to 25 feet across the south shore of Lake of the Woods.

Jigging with frozen, or live emerald shiners, is catching most of the fish.  Locating fish on your sonar and anchoring up for about 30 minutes will normally give you a good idea of what is living in the area and a good strategy.  

Areas across the south shore including the Lighthouse Gap (where the Rainy River enters Lake of the Woods) west to the Morris Point area, west to Zippel Bay area to Long Point are all still producing nice fish.      

Successful jig colors in the stained waters of LOW are gold, glow white, glow red, chartreuse, orange, and pink.  Gold combined with any one of these colors is often a good choice.  

On the Rainy River... The river continues to get better and better.  There are definitely more shiners and walleyes in the river this week.  Good fish being caught in many sections of the river.

Trolling crankbaits in the fall is also a well known strategy to catch hungry walleyes chasing shiners.  A great way to cover water and get that reaction strike.

Sturgeon fishing is really picking up as the water cools.  Sturgeon are catch and release right now into the month of April, 2025 when the "keep season" begins again.

Some nice crappies, pike and smallmouth bass were also in the mix for fall anglers fishing the river this week.

The river is a great option for small boats and also a nice option if it is windy.  

Up at the NW Angle... Fishing is flat out excellent up at the Angle.  Some anglers are fishing the MN side, others the Ontario side.  Walleyes are using a variety of areas, but structure such as points and neck down areas with some current are good right now. 

A mixed bag of fish is the norm in these parts.  Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, crappies, pike, smallmouth bass and muskies are all being caught.

Fall fishing leading into early ice is some of the best fishing of the year and a beautiful time to be out.

Double header walleyes_Sportsmans Oak Island_100824.jpg

Big fall sturgeon_Royal Dutchman Resort_100624.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Fish Head
      Great to hear from you again Mark! I've always liked your posts over the years. 
    • leech~~
      Yep, it's just you know and I know every dad who takes his kids or family camping for the first time.  Is buying the camping gas no matter the cost, cuz it says "Camping" on it! 🤭🤭
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the South End... Walleye and sauger fishing remains excellent with numbers of walleyes and saugers being caught.  The fall bite is definitely on.  Anglers are finding fish a bit shallower this week, ranging from 20 to 25 feet across the south shore of Lake of the Woods.   Jigging with frozen, or live emerald shiners, is catching most of the fish.  Locating fish on your sonar and anchoring up for about 30 minutes will normally give you a good idea of what is living in the area and a good strategy.     Areas across the south shore including the Lighthouse Gap (where the Rainy River enters Lake of the Woods) west to the Morris Point area, west to Zippel Bay area to Long Point are all still producing nice fish.         Successful jig colors in the stained waters of LOW are gold, glow white, glow red, chartreuse, orange, and pink.  Gold combined with any one of these colors is often a good choice.   On the Rainy River... The river continues to get better and better.  There are definitely more shiners and walleyes in the river this week.  Good fish being caught in many sections of the river.   Trolling crankbaits in the fall is also a well known strategy to catch hungry walleyes chasing shiners.  A great way to cover water and get that reaction strike. Sturgeon fishing is really picking up as the water cools.  Sturgeon are catch and release right now into the month of April, 2025 when the "keep season" begins again.   Some nice crappies, pike and smallmouth bass were also in the mix for fall anglers fishing the river this week. The river is a great option for small boats and also a nice option if it is windy.   Up at the NW Angle... Fishing is flat out excellent up at the Angle.  Some anglers are fishing the MN side, others the Ontario side.  Walleyes are using a variety of areas, but structure such as points and neck down areas with some current are good right now.    A mixed bag of fish is the norm in these parts.  Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, crappies, pike, smallmouth bass and muskies are all being caught.   Fall fishing leading into early ice is some of the best fishing of the year and a beautiful time to be out.  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Well I've been up a lot the last two weeks. My bay was packed with crappie chasers a week ago. Less so this past week. My brother from AZ came up last weekend, mostly to play in the woods. However, we did go out fishing one night. He caught a bunch of panfish on crawlers and I caught my PB crappie on a rainbow minnow while fishing for walleye. It doubled over my pole, was jumping at the surface, and is still swimming on the west end. Somewhere is a photo but I wanted it back in the lake so didn't take the time to measure. It was easily over 12" so I was happy.   Gorgeous weather up north these days. The maples all went from green to yellow/orange/red over the past week.
    • Wanderer
      You do realize the price on the Camping Gas is for 2 cylinders vs 1 of the Coleman’s, right?   Calling it camping gas is a catch though.
    • leech~~
      My son-in-law is the VP of sales at his company.  I sent this to him and asked, If it was getting easier to sell stuff now that the general public is getting this stupid?"  🤪 He said, it's all in the catch!  😉
    • leech~~
      "When you shop Menards" 🤑
    • Wanderer
      You could save Big Money with Camping Gas too!
    • gimruis
      I went back to Lake X/Y/Z on Saturday afternoon and crushed them.  I had not been there since late August and the water temps have finally begun to drop into the mid 60's.  There was a rapid weather change that occured with the wind shifting from the south to the west and a temperature drop which I believe triggered a very aggressive feeding window.  I caught 19 bass and 5 pike in about 4 hours, including my biggest this season, a 21 incher that weighed nearly 6 pounds.    
    • monstermoose78
      Rooster season is coming soon!! I have sight in my muzzleloader quick and then Hazel and I will be looking for birds.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.