• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good Eaters and Big Walleye Being Caught

LakeofthewoodsMN

On the south end...   A good week of walleye fishing with some big fish caught along with good eaters.  All of that despite some fronts that came through and lots of wind.  Being in a charter boat a few days this week was an advantage for sure.  

Wherever you fish, there are days the wind will blow.  Here are some good options for anglers when the wind blows on LOW.

-Fish on a big charter boat

-Fish the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River

-Bays such as Four Mile, Bostic and Zippel Bay

-Slide behind one of the thousands of islands that being up at the NW Angle

-Trailer your boat to a leeward boat ramp and fish that shoreline

A jig and frozen emerald shiner was the go to presentation for walleyes.  Most boats are anchored up and vertically jigging.  Some are starting to use spinners and minnows or crawlers with success.  This pattern will pick up steam as the walleyes are starting to transition with warming waters.

Walleyes have been caught this week in various depths.  As a rule, 21 - 32 feet of water was still the range.  Again, various areas across the lake are holding fish.   Various rock reefs have been good.  Fish are transitioning to mud as the season progresses.

On the Rainy River...  The river is flowing strong right now as water is being released from the dam which controls its flow.  With the heavier current, fish are being found in areas with a current break.  Even a slight break that still has current is a fish attractor when the water is moving.

Jigging with a minnow, pulling spinners and trolling crankbaits along shoreline breaks against the current in 6 - 12' of water is producing a mixed bag of walleyes, saugers, pike, smallmouth bass and an occasional crappie.

Casting to shoreline structure and even docks is also an effective method.

For those who like fishing for dinosaurs, the sturgeon season opens July 1st.

Up at the NW Angle...  A great week of fishing amongst the island area of Lake of the Woods.  Guides fishing the Canada side of LOW reported big numbers of walleyes along with a mixed bag.

Minnesota waters also produced good fish.  Many of the walleyes are being found in deeper than normal water for this time of year, in that 22 - 28 feet.  As hatches begin and shiners begin to spawn, there will be some shallow water opportunities as well.

The goto presentation continues to be a jig and minnow.  Pulling spinners with shiners or crawlers and trolling crankbaits also putting walleyes in the fry pan.  

As is common in these parts, a mixed bag of walleyes, saugers, pike, jumbo perch, crappies, pike and smallmouth bass being caught.

Muskie anglers, the season opens on both sides of the lake Saturday, June 15th.  A glorious day for those who target the almighty predators!

Two big walleyes on charter boat_Zippel Bay Resort_060924.jpg

Big walleye_charter boat_Lakeroad Lodge_060824.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Heard that too. Also heard 38 was closed for a but north of rapids due to flooding.    I know the water really came up when I was up last week compared to when I was there in April. 
    • Kettle
      Someone said 4 inches in the past week, more expected this weekend. A few roads, including county roads that are asphalt ended up with sink holes. Lakes are the highest I've ever seen in the 30+ years coming to the area and now living here. Several people lost trees Tues night
    • smurfy
      Dang Kettle  that bites. Great to hear fishing was good though.   How much rain you get up that way?
    • Dash 1
      50 in 6 hours is great. Boat issues really put a damper on a great day though. Hope you get it fixed quickly.  
    • Kettle
      Well boat finally got "fixed" and I picked it up Saturday. Last week worked 96 hrs so Sunday wanted the day to fish alone. Boat ran great out to the spot, 4 miles or so. Fishing was great boated over 50 walleye in about 6 hrs. Caught them lindy rigging, jigging and bobber fishing watching them on the live scope. Kept 6 between 18-20 inches. After using the trolling motor for the entire time fishing, go to fire up the tiller and it bogs down and dies. Another 4 hours running the trolling motor back to the launch. Fortunate it's under warranty. Bummer of a day but fishing was great landed one about 7 lbs too  
    • Dash 1
      Terrible news for that area especially this being such a prime time for tourism. We can only hope for dryer days ahead so they can get back to normal.
    • SkunkedAgain
      For those not in the area, the Lake Vermilion area got anywhere from 5-10" of rain the other day (depending on your source). The lake is rising rapidly affecting docks, shorelines, and cabins. The Littlefork River that runs through Cook overran its banks and flooded the town. It's not expected to crest until at least Saturday, which means things will get worse. Places such as the Comet, the Muni, the library, and many other businesses are flooded. Many roads in the area have been destroyed by flooding as well. There's lots of damage. Below are two quick links.   https://www.northernnewsnow.com/2024/06/20/floodwaters-inundate-city-cook-evacuation-location-open/   https://www.mprnews.org/story/2024/06/20/cleanup-continues-flooding-in-northeast-minnesota-southern-minnesota-rivers-rising
    • delcecchi
      Apparently just the motorized portage.   If you paddle you are good to go.
    • CigarGuy
      The only way I could do it is running parallel to the shoreline on the "L", but with the wake from the boats and my rocky shoreline, the waves just bounce it around too much, even with bumpers tied off. My neighbors dock is recessed off the main channel, I'm going to sweet talk him into letting me dock it there.
    • partyonpine
      They closed the Trout Lake Portage down washed out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.