• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Found a spot this morning and picked up 5. Lost over a dozen as well. 3 of us fishing and their inexperience hurt.  Hope the wife doesn't see this.😁

• Thumbs Up 2

Found a spot this morning and picked up 5. Lost over a dozen as well. 3 of us fishing and their inexperience hurt.  Hope the wife doesn't see this.😁

Found them on a hump about 17 ft. in big bay south end.  If I moved off it by 20 ft nothing. I think the best plan is to troll slowly and if you get 1 stop and jig it. Leeches or crawlers both worked.

• Thumbs Up 4

We couldn’t put a pattern together this week. The few keepers and the one 25” slot fish we got were caught moving slowly up and down reef edges in 15-24 feet. Nothing off the edge and nothing on the tops. Very tough fishing, found bugs and baitfish top to bottom in the water column almost everywhere we went. Should’ve just switched to bass. 

• Thumbs Up 3

MikeG3Boat I was fishing east of Frazier Bay all the way around Pine and the north side of Big Bay.

• 2 weeks later...

No new fishing reports?  I have heard that the bite is picking up, but it sure hasn't for me.  I am heading up for the weekend and any info/insight would be appreciated.  Have a great weekend and be safe!

• I Like it 1

Wife and I went out Tuesday evening till dark, only got 1 slot fish and missed another. Marking fish, getting them to bite is the problem. Caught mine on a spinner-worm harness, bottom bouncer. Wife was dragging a leech. Wakemup Bay area.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Skunked tonight! Marking them-no takers...did miss one nice hit.

I was Skunked as well...again. I only went out Friday night and immediately discovered that my trolling motor remote battery was dead. I couldn't find the spare that I stuck in my tackle box a few years ago. Although as I typed that, I now remember giving it to a buddy while we were out fishing in his boat. Darn.

Anyway, I did a lot of drifting with crawlers on lindys in the wind, but I was moving too fast IMO. Lost a few crawlers to perch nibbles. That was my only action.

Edited by SkunkedAgain

The amount of bait fish I am seeing on my graphs and livescope is unprecedented. Every spot I go, I see massive clouds and piles of small fish. It is rather remarkable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/5/2024 at 8:27 AM, jparrucci said:

The amount of bait fish I am seeing on my graphs and livescope is unprecedented. Every spot I go, I see massive clouds and piles of small fish. It is rather remarkable. 

Hopefully this means it's a solid growth year for walleye.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any new information?  Site has been eerily quiet.  Sometimes that means no one is catching fish, or everyone is catching fish?  I wasn't up last weekend.  Let me know if you have any new information.  

The fishing has picked up for me quite a bit. Caught plenty of walleye in 18-22 feet on a jog or Lindy with a crawler. Frazer Bay

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, PSU said:

The fishing has picked up for me quite a bit. Caught plenty of walleye in 18-22 feet on a jog or Lindy with a crawler. Frazer Bay

Same except 28 to 32. Mud flats. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
2 hours ago, chaffmj said:

Was on Basswood last week camping and fishing.

IMG_9273_(1).thumb.jpg.bb824850f41efa5788dcf4209dcafe98.jpg

IMG_9271.jpg.69624618b81390c65c0c10b94140b309.jpg

IMG_9267001.thumb.jpg.b963d925dbfa2418f4dff8fd787ee028.jpg

IMG_9277.thumb.jpg.cfa7362d3adcf69212117741465422f6.jpg

Didn't you catch any eaters you could keep?  ;)  :D

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, chaffmj said:

Was on Basswood

Didn't realize they allowed outboards there.  I thought it was a non-motorized area only.

1 hour ago, gimruis said:

Didn't realize they allowed outboards there.  I thought it was a non-motorized area only.

Permit & Season Information

A permit is always required to enter the BWCA Wilderness: 

Visitors taking an overnight paddle, motor or hiking trip, or a motorized day trip into the BWCAW from May 1 – September 30 are required to obtain a quota permit through Recreation.gov. Walk-up permits may be obtained at any permit issuing station on the entry date or one day prior when available, however, reservations are recommended since there are a limited number of quota permits for each entry point. 

• Thumbs Up 2

That plate of fish and potatoes  looks awesome. I almost drooled on the keyboard!!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 2

On 8/27/2024 at 7:58 AM, gimruis said:

Nope, there are parts of Basswood that allow motors.   Entry is from Fall Lake, and there is (I think) a motorized portage.   It is really popular in the spring...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Will that blond haired kid have that cool little orange boat in the show this weekend? Saw him driving around by Muskego Point a few times this summer.

8 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Nope, there are parts of Basswood that allow motors.   Entry is from Fall Lake, and there is (I think) a motorized portage.   It is really popular in the spring...

You launch on Moose Lake to get to the motorized portage. It's called Prairie portage. To get to the portage you put in at Moose Lake. From Moose you go into Newfound Lake. From Newfound you go into Sucker Lake. On Sucker is where Prairie portage is. There is a dock on the American side and on the Canadian side there is big sign welcoming you to Canada. Latourell's Resort runs the portage and the cost for the portage is $40 for a round trip.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, chaffmj said:

Latourell's Resort runs the portage and the cost for the portage is $40 for a round trip.

Aren't they the ones that ran into problems about illegal bait? Anyone know how that turned out?

Heading up to LV a week from today with the kids. Any advice for us? Staying on the West side but open to traveling if the weather permits.

The way the last few weeks have gone, might stay for good!!!