• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Elk River area

ozzie

Have been out shore fishing a few times catching all that the river has to offer.  I decided to buy a little jon boat to use in the area.  It is a 12' jon boat with a 4hp 4stroke engine.  I know when the river is high this rig will most likely not go up river, but when the river is at it's normal current, do you think this will be enough HP to push me up the river?  Just hope to get to different shorelines and holes to see what they offer and explore the wonderful river!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
On 8/16/2023 at 10:23 AM, ozzie said:

Have been out shore fishing a few times catching all that the river has to offer.  I decided to buy a little jon boat to use in the area.  It is a 12' jon boat with a 4hp 4stroke engine.  I know when the river is high this rig will most likely not go up river, but when the river is at it's normal current, do you think this will be enough HP to push me up the river?  Just hope to get to different shorelines and holes to see what they offer and explore the wonderful river!

Did you ever give the up river run a shot?  Would be interesting to know.  👍

I was able to get on the river once so far, and tested the boat set up, and it was more than powerful enough to push me upstream.  I am going to do some modifications to the craft to give me more floatation by adding float pods to the rear as my 220 frame sitting in the back squats a little.  I am satisfied with this setup so far and after a few adjustments, I will love this set up!  It is so light and easy to load and unload and the motor gets me going a little more than 6mph which is just enough to move me from spot to spot.  In the future I have thoughts of a trolling motor and a small graph and this will be a river slaying machine!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ozzie said:

I was able to get on the river once so far, and tested the boat set up, and it was more than powerful enough to push me upstream.  I am going to do some modifications to the craft to give me more floatation by adding float pods to the rear as my 220 frame sitting in the back squats a little.  I am satisfied with this setup so far and after a few adjustments, I will love this set up!  It is so light and easy to load and unload and the motor gets me going a little more than 6mph which is just enough to move me from spot to spot.  In the future I have thoughts of a trolling motor and a small graph and this will be a river slaying machine!

If the nose is running high, sometimes a tube of sand in the bow will help level things out. 👍

• Thumbs Up 2

Is this kind of the idea you have to add some rear lift?  👍

• Thumbs Up 1

Yup exactly what I have in mind.  There is a company in the St Cloud area that is called Backwater Inc. and they make them.  They are going to install them for me also.  Mine will be welded on though.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Just thought I would provide an update....the river is high and fast.  I have been down there multiple times during the course of the year and the fishing has been poor with water moving so fast.  I have tried 3oz weights and they tumble like nothing down the river.  Have not attempted to launch the boat out there.  I have been on the Rum a bit with the boat and that is a fun navigational voyage!  Not a lot of fish caught but some.  Regarding my boat set up, I did upgrade the 4hp up to a 6hp.  has just enough power to go where I need with a passenger.  next step is to weld up something to mount a bow mount trolling motor and I will have a solid fishing machine for small lakes and rivers. Hope everyone is out there enjoying our summertime open water!!

• Thumbs Up 4

30 minutes ago, ozzie said:

myboat.jpg

Looks like you got it set up pretty nice with comfy seats. How did the rear floats you added work? 

• Thumbs Up 1

they have been great!  Provide more stability and floatation to the rear of the boat where it was needed with my 230lb frame with the motor back there.  They also make the boat look pretty "mean" for a small little jon boat :)  The only downside to them is now I have to figure out a trolling motor since I cant put one off the rear, and I have to get creative to mount a transducer.  Currenly i just suction cup a vexilar transducer to the side of the boat. I am planning on adding a motorguide kayak 36" shaft trolling motor to the bow.  I just need some welding on the front, but I have to customize it so the boat still can fit on my trailer properly, as I have bumpers that create a little logistical snafu.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ozzie said:

they have been great!  Provide more stability and floatation to the rear of the boat where it was needed with my 230lb frame with the motor back there.  They also make the boat look pretty "mean" for a small little jon boat :)  The only downside to them is now I have to figure out a trolling motor since I cant put one off the rear, and I have to get creative to mount a transducer.  Currenly i just suction cup a vexilar transducer to the side of the boat. I am planning on adding a motorguide kayak 36" shaft trolling motor to the bow.  I just need some welding on the front, but I have to customize it so the boat still can fit on my trailer properly, as I have bumpers that create a little logistical snafu.  

My transducer I mounted the bracket with counter sunk heads on a aluminum plate.  I then cleaned a spot on the back of the boat and siliconed the plate with bracket on the transom.  Wasn't sure how long it would last but it's been on there for about 16 years!  :)

• Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, ozzie said:

I have been on the Rum a bit with the boat and that is a fun navigational voyage!  Not a lot of fish caught but some. 

I tried the Rum near Princeton last week and the water was definitely flowing pretty good for mid July.  Slightly murky too which was not good for smallmouth fishing.

Caught 22 of them in about 4 hours but they were all dinks, 11-15 inchers.  Most of them came on topwater.  I used to fish it every season several times in midsummer but we've had drought 3 out of the last 4 years and it was just too shallow.  I saw hundreds upon hundreds of crayfish on the bottom of the river.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have hit the rum at the Mystic landing and then also in the Dalbo/Walbo area off 95.  Caught small walleyes redhorse and a few small smallies.  Last night saw a few shore fisherman catching crappies in a side channel.  I am thinking of trying the Rum around Lake George area as it appears there is some deeper water in that area.  Just fun to be able to hit the small rivers and navigate them!

• Thumbs Up 3

Ozzie,

I’m assuming your boat hull is a single layer?  If you have a safe spot for it, you can mount your transducer inside and shoot through the hull.  Or, like when I’m running my little river boat with a portable ice fishing unit, I just set the transducer on the bottom by the seat where the sonar is sitting.  If you have a clean area and it’s sitting in water, it reads just fine.  If you mount it, use epoxy and make sure you have the bubbles out.

Little river boats can make a ton of great memories! 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have been getting out on the Mississippi a few times exploring the area...found a few smallies here and there but the big cats that we were finding last year are just not being located...yet!  Also have been hitting the rum and finding a mixed bag of fish each time out.  Good luck

• Thumbs Up 2