• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
8 hours ago, JerkinLips said:

Fished Wednesday PM to Friday AM for my bi-weekly trip.  Neither the Y-Store nor Vermilion Fuel & Food had leeches (Y noted they are out for the rest of the season) so I was stuck using crawlers since I didn't think minnows would survive overnight in the warm water.  Had trouble keeping the perch and rusty crayfish off the hook again.  Had trouble finding walleyes, but when I did they seemed to be concentrated in a very small area (20-30 foot circle).  Friday morning the trolling motor kicked the bucket so I just anchored in one spot.  I caught 21 perch in the next 1½ hours, plus a random 14" walleye mixed in.  I then tried trolling with my 44 year-old 35hp Johnson but couldn't keep my speed slow enough so I hung it up.  Now I need to fix the trolling motor or break down and buy a new one.  Or maybe I will just bobber fish.

The lake was very quiet except for Thursday evening when everybody seemed to decide to recreate at the same time.  Good luck fishing and enjoy the big-V.

What's wrong with drift fishing if you have some wind? I do it all the time with good results. 👍

• Thumbs Up 1

OMG Mike!  That smallie!  Wow!

Got any stats on her?

I mean, besides HUGE?

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, chaffmj said:

Wanderer you might have met Mike out on Burntside at one of the Burntside bashes that use to happen out there in the winter. You used to go those, didn't you?

Yep.  Been to several bashes and helped out with the Deb R benefit bash we had the one year.  I think you did a couple big pork loins that year.

I’ve met Mike several times both winter and summer.  Still have his number in my contacts from when we experimented with sharing laker info. 🤣 

Put a bunch of GOOD fishermen together on a good lake and your pics are the proof of what can happen! 😎

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Mike's a great guy. Rented his ice house from him on Burntside a few years ago. 👍

• Thumbs Up 2

And on a less happy note, we will be heading back south to the land of corn and beans in a few days.   And my trolling motor took a dump last week,    Terrova and it stopped steering..   Makes things more challenging.   

• Wow, ❤ 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any new info?  Heading up for the Labor Day weekend.  Looking for any hints on what the walleye are doing?

Left yesterday and heading back up Thursday. If anyone passes the Penn State Flag by entrance to Smart's from Frazer, give a wave or have a beer!

Fishing picked up for me quite nicely last trip. Caught most of mine in 10-15 feet on a Lindy and a half crawler. 

• Thumbs Up 4

We have had solid fishing the last 3-4 weekend trips up.  Our best fishing has been trolling with Berkeley flicker raps #4 or 5 in 6-8’ of water most afternoons after the boat parades on the lake slowed down. Some luck with Lindys and half a crawler around the reefs.  One 22”, 19”, and many 15-18” eyes. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Last weekend was fairly windy, which can be an advantage. Worked a steep drop-off from 15' to 26' facing into the wind, had some success using half crawlers on lindys. Better hit rate going with the wind from deep to shallow.

Also caught walleye where the wind funnels between islands creating some current, 16' to 20' deep.

The beauty/challenge of Vermilion fishing is every week is different and you need to adapt to conditions.

Looking forward to some September frosts which tend to coincide with more aggressive fish activity.

• Thumbs Up 4

Walleyes apparently love senko type baits. If you want 15 to 17" eye's fish senko's casting over rocky points. I've never caught as many walleye as this year and I'm not even fishing for them. I did get a nice 3.5# fish on a jigging rap when I was fishing for them. The best news is I released all of them for your future eating pleasure. Now if anyone wants to give me some tips on targeting 5+ pound fish let me know.  I'll release those too.

GOPR0488_1662420202616.JPG

Edited by tarpon6
  • Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, tarpon6 said:

Walleyes apparently love senko type baits. If you want 15 to 17" eye's fish senko's casting over rocky points. I've never caught as many walleye as this year and I'm not even fishing for them. I did get a nice 3.5# fish on a jigging rap when I was fishing for them. The best news is I released all of them for your future eating pleasure. Now if anyone wants to give me some tips on targeting 5+ pound fish let me know.  I'll release those too.

GOPR0488_1662420202616.JPG

How you rigging the senko's?

10 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

How you rigging the senko's?

Straight with a 1/0 wide gap worm hook, 1/8 ounce weight. I Florida rig but Texas would work as would a wide gap ned head jig.

Update: Be prepared to lose some rigs. Texas rigging might get hung up worse.  Generally if I go to the opposite side of the snag it comes lose.

Edited by tarpon6
  • Thanks 1

Those rocks will take your stuff...  for sure.  All those folks that talk about dragging sinkers or jigs never fished vermilion.

Edited by delcecchi

Fishing is still very good.  Rain comes and goes, but basically they are biting all day.  Keeper movin' and stay in that 18-24 foot depth range.  You will see them up a foot or two from the bottom and those are the biters.  I am getting a lot of 15-19" fish now.  I notice many fisherman rigging and just sitting there and they ain't catching any fish.  Trolling allows you to cover water and find them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Which end of the lake are you fishing?   I find that advice for the east isn't always applicable on the west, especially the far west