• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2019 Duck Geese Goose Waterfowl Opener (2018 Too)

Wanderer

Anyone else planning buck the weather and get out this weekend?  I’m leaning on it.  It won’t be pleasant but I’m hoping there will be more birds to make me forget about being wet.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wanderer

• monstermoose78

• MJ1657

• leech~~

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a tailgait shot for ya from today.       😊  

Thanks! Here are some pics. 

Well it hasn’t been stellar but it hasn’t been a waste of time either this morning.  What I’ve been hearing is the hatch was poor in prairie Canada so we should see fewer but more mature birds.  Seems

Posted Images

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78
3 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Anyone else planning buck the weather and get out this weekend?  I’m leaning on it.  It won’t be pleasant but I’m hoping there will be more birds to make me forget about being wet.

I am Saturday morning 

• Thumbs Up 1

The geese piled in this week. As soon as we got done chopping corn sileage they showed up. 

I'll be out there getting wet. 

• Thumbs Up 2
Wanderer

Heading to border country myself.  Counting on the birds to move with this system and reports from central Canada say they’re starting to bug out.

• l Love It 1
monstermoose78
1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

Well it hasn’t been stellar but it hasn’t been a waste of time either this morning.  What I’ve been hearing is the hatch was poor in prairie Canada so we should see fewer but more mature birds.  Seems to be true today.25355005-99B8-45F5-AF6F-D9AD4AB0135C.thumb.jpeg.ecbaa11b982fbb13402eceb120909bea.jpegB77DB8D1-4A94-43CE-8270-4B39413491A4.thumb.jpeg.233f509638bb3f740c64569834ba626b.jpeg

Better pic of the black duck.  Bucket list bird.

A1124291-3645-404A-B417-9F24B9A3350A.thumb.jpeg.fb44d65fc3f9ec31ab4a8cb089dffe3d.jpeg

Pretty ducks

• I Like it 1
  • Thanks 1
Wanderer

Sunday was interesting but but not productive for putting birds in the bag.  We saw birds but they avoided us just enough.  New water Sunday is always exactly what it’s supposed to be: a learning experience.  

Number one comment for the day: Guess what?  What?  It’s snowing again.

1D1AE8C8-2888-4513-B15F-0A7255628056.thumb.jpeg.6222c3e99e722856412503bc412001d4.jpeg9572B507-5CBA-4BBA-8947-595166C017E0.thumb.jpeg.f3eeca1135481d44f6424aff6935b5cf.jpegA0F529A0-0077-4695-89D7-0F5060AC0A17.thumb.jpeg.b918b4f8e6d69e8f93a6a0b00d2c6940.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1
  • 1 month later...
Wanderer

Getting to the end of the line here in a hurry.  What a bummer of a close out from central going north.  I know a few people who crushed em here and there but most have experienced a mediocre season overall.

Anyone still out, and on birds?  There should still be some good fields going on.

I just popped the latest wood duck I think I’ve ever seen.  A young bird too so I can’t give it credit for being a Wiley old timer resisting the flight through the gauntlet.  

Edited by Wanderer
  • Wow, ❤ 1
monstermoose78

I would like to hit big water for divers a time or two yet

• I Like it 1
Wanderer
18 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

I would like to hit big water for divers a time or two yet

I think most of them moved on with the full moon last week.  I hear SE MN is still good I.e. Lake Pepin.  Reports from Mille Lacs/Leech/Winnie have been quiet.  I know some people that have been looking.  Haven’t had much of report from western MN for a week.  

• Wow, ❤ 1

Drove past the west side of Mille Lacs today. Large areas of ice with a few open areas and even a boat fishing, looks like they busted ice at the Garrison access to get out. Saw a handful of goldeneye and mergansers but that was it

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1
Wanderer

Sounds like the same description of the birds my buddy saw on his way home from deer hunting on Sunday.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Wanderer

I enjoyed my hunts during the MN season even though it was a lukewarm year.  Pretty disappointed with the early freeze up but I’m lucky enough this year to be looking forward to a trip west to WA for sea ducks in January.  

I’ve been doing research on that for the past couple weeks and feel like I ain’t quite done yet!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1
  • l Love It 1
Wanderer

FYI - these are on sale at MACK’s for a hundo.  Just opened mine up to check it out.  It’s gonna work out real nice for those longer walks to the hide or just as a single bag to load/unload from a boat.  My blind bag can’t cover the carry all job duties and tweaked my back on my ND hunt (long walk).  Shotgun carry strap included.  I can feel the relief already.

912EDBF2-6135-46E4-8292-AC7BC70768E9.thumb.png.61a58735fe92afc2bf8d6a46ae04544d.png

• l Love It 1
  • 5 weeks later...
Wanderer

5 goldeneye working the ice line on the river this afternoon.  Latest I’ve seen ducks here.  Best pic I could get through the spotting scope.  Yes leech, there were 5 total. 😉

A09CE2C1-8011-4887-B239-BFE7A581115E.thumb.jpeg.aa38ef5e74d0aa80479ff5df9d2b43ba.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1
  • 7 months later...
mulefarm

Looks like a great goose hatch! Could be a super early season.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1
  • l Love It 1
Wanderer
30 minutes ago, mulefarm said:

Looks like a great goose hatch! Could be a super early season.

Same.

• I Like it 1
Kettle

I may end up hunting MN if they don't open the boarder by Oct. Had some good hunts here but no doubt it takes a lot more work 

• I Like it 1
  • 2 weeks later...
mulefarm

Must not have done a goose round up in the cities this year. Haven’t seen this many geese for at least 10 years. Also a lot of swans.

• I Like it 1
  • Thanks 1
monstermoose78

Starting to get pumped up!! I have been working Finn most days and now I need to start working myself up for hunting. 

• I Like it 1
  • 2 weeks later...
gimruis

I have a feeling that there are going to be more duck hunters out here and in ND this season.  If the same pattern continues as it has all season with more people fishing and camping, there will more people hunting overall.  Not a great thing when you add in the inexperience and gun factor in my opinion.

• Wow, ❤ 1
Wanderer

Yeah, I’m thinking ND will be pretty crowded this fall.  I was planning on going a couple times but not sure if I’ll make it after all.

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Wanderer

I’ve been reading some complaints that they’re already moving but don’t know what parts of the country they’re coming in from.  But I think NO.  If they’re not on a pond you’ve been seeing them on, it doesn’t mean they’ve migrated out.  Look at other ponds.  No reason for them to vacate yet. IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1
monstermoose78

I am hoping to find a youth to take out on youth weekend 

• Thumbs Up 1
Kettle
4 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

I am hoping to find a youth to take out on youth weekend 

This is awesome and incredibly admirable Moose