• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

FishinCT

If you cast a 3/8 oz white spinnerbait you will get a bunch of bass and more than likely pick up a musky or two

• Thanks 1

10point

I'm coming up tomorrow to Vermilion Dam Lodge for the first time. Are leeches a good bet now? Might get a pound on the way up. 

CigarGuy

That's all the neighbors and I have been using and catching some walleyes. If you're in the cities stop in Harris and get yourself some. Last time I was up I bought a 1/4 lb of Jumbo's and only got 19 leeches. Tonight on the way up I bought a 1/2 lb of large and got more than I wanted to count. Plus, they're good size. $18 and change.

• Thumbs Up 2

BigVwalters

Was up over the last weekend and did okay on Saturday night  catching 5 eyes on the west side in niles bay area.  2 nice 18" eaters and the rest were all slot fish. lindys and crawlers worked best in shallower breaks 11'- 19'  Went out the next morning and saw all of the mayfly slicks floating.  Didn't get any Sunday.  Be up in a couple weeks.  Walleyes might be tight lipped on the west side for a week or so.  the 2 i cut up saturday did have mayflies in them.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

arctic_scrap1

Spent 2 12hr days fishing the west side for skis. I fished every rockpile I saw on gps and every weedbed I could see. Not even one follow. Next time I'll head to the east side.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 2

SkunkedAgain

Last weekend there were a TON of boats musky fishing in HeadOLakes bay. There were so many that I actually had to come off plane and snake my way through the boats since they were packed in so close together. Still quite a few boats that were out chasing musky on Sunday.

• I Like it 1

Bob Schultz

Definitely if your coming up to Musky fish the above report of 2 twelve hours days on West end and not even a follow has been my experience as well……through many humbling trips.   In addition lots of boats trolling on west end as well … early season ……

Try East of Oak Narrows …… you will immediately become a much better Musky fisherman … 

• Yayyyy 1

arctic_scrap1
2 hours ago, Bob Schultz said:

Definitely if your coming up to Musky fish the above report of 2 twelve hours days on West end and not even a follow has been my experience as well……through many humbling trips.   In addition lots of boats trolling on west end as well … early season ……

Try East of Oak Narrows …… you will immediately become a much better Musky fisherman … 

Like Frazer Bay/Gold island area? Or the main east basin?

• Thumbs Up 1

Bob Schultz

Exactly …… you will see guys casting proven spots …… in those areas … in addition to spots that simply look good on the map … and visually … I think numbers of fish are greater east end  - very similar to walleye numbers …

• Thumbs Up 1

delcecchi

Absolutely.  Anyone interested in Muskies should only fish east of oak narrows....   Please... 😀  preferably even further east..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 2

buttcy01

Anybody been doing any good? We’ve been staying at timbuktu and have been struggling a ton! Doesn’t seem like there’s any fish 😂 especially walleyes!

• Wow, ❤ 1

Muskyhunter73

We fished walleyes last night. Caught a couple but not like we had been. They were in 12 feet on a sand/rock transition. Tons of mayflies hatching right now

• Thanks 1

buttcy01
5 hours ago, Muskyhunter73 said:

We fished walleyes last night. Caught a couple but not like we had been. They were in 12 feet on a sand/rock transition. Tons of mayflies hatching right now

We’re going to try it tonight, spent most of the day fishing for muskies with only one follow 

• Thanks 1

Muskyhunter73
4 hours ago, buttcy01 said:

We’re going to try it tonight, spent most of the day fishing for muskies with only one follow 

I mostly fished muskies today. Had two hit this morning. Finally saw a fish on the rocks tonight. Heard of one 51 incher caught tonight. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

BigVTim

Nice! Good bag of fish. Surprised they are still so shallow mid-day.

StillFishin'

Good to hear from you Mark.  Always liked your reports and glad your still posting when you get back to LV.

jim

Muskyhunter73
On 7/2/2020 at 11:24 AM, BigVTim said:

Nice! Good bag of fish. Surprised they are still so shallow mid-day.

Yeah, I was shocked. I figured we would catch some nice smallies and that would be worth it. 

delcecchi

Finally got back out in the boat.  Water temp had gone to 84 degrees from 73 a week ago..

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Thanks 1

delcecchi

Water was a little cooler today.   Still to hot to fish, and had grandkids here.    Finally some rain.  Looks like over an inch...  Maybe I won't need that extra dock section after all.  

• Thanks 1

BirchPtMike

I would agree with James about tough bite. The last few days have been tough. You wont see those mayflies in Big Bay, because they all hatched last week. We have had high heat no wind to go with mayflies,then fish flies so I think that explains the problem. It will get better soon as minnows become primary food source for eyes. Wont see you out there for a while as I have to leave for a week. Good Luck !!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

delcecchi

Finally cooled off a little, so off to hit it for an hour or two..  Got grand kids here so have to stick around some.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Wanderer

Good luck!

Toshjhao

I know it’s a little ways out but will be my first time going to lake vermilion August 7-10 out of Norwegian bay. Just wondering how the bass fishing is and will be around that time if anyone knows 

Fish Head

Mark B!!!  Great to hear one of your reports again. I sure miss them.  Take care and I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip in Sept. 

mbeyer

Vermilion is a "no brainer" when it comes to smallmouth. You'll be fine in early August. What is your favorite way ti catch bass? Start with that and work from there. One of my favorites is a white/pearl fluke...they eat those things up.

image.png.b78d7e541a4eb96b4d84a3c45c150996.png

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Fishing remains excellent with a nice mix of eaters, slots and trophy walleyes.   Two great ways to catch walleyes this time of year, crawler harnesses and crankbaits.  Walleyes are hanging out on the deep mud in 30 - 36' of water.  Cover water by drifting or trolling.  Crawler harnesses (snelled spinners) in hammered gold, pink, glow or orange with a 1-2 ounce weight.  The second technique is trolling crankbaits through various schools of walleyes over the deep mud.  Get lures down with lead core line, a 4 ounce bottom bouncer, snap weights, 3 way rig or downriggers.  Switch colors often but some starters, pink uv firetiger, chrome / blue, firetiger, and gold.  
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes are scattered on flats and in deeper holes.  Trolling crankbaits this time of year to cover water is effective.  Mix of walleyes and saugers.  Sturgeon anglers targeting deep holes with sturgeon rigs and crawlers or frozen emerald shiners.  Smallmouth bass and pike active around current breaks, rocky areas and weed edges. 
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle via boat.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Strong walleye bite with lots of eater fish on the mud adjacent to reefs and islands throughout the Angle.  Much like the south end, spinners with a crawler or trolling crankbaits both are producing good numbers of fish.  Pike and muskies being caught casting bays and trolling rocky point areas.  Smallies in their summer pattern, 4 - 15' in rocky areas. 

• eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      Had a fun time camping at Bowstring and fishing monday to wednesday. 95 % I would say were using jig and minnow.  We fished crawlers cuz it's what we do... lol Brought 100 up there from the back yard. Didn't bring any home.  Caught 32 altogether. Had a nice meal monday p.m. and brought a few home, the rest stayed there. We brought 16 nice perch back home also. Water was about 54 in the morning and would get up to 60 or so. Fish were deeper than we have fished in the past. 14 to 20 was a good area. Hope to get back up there the end of June for a couple days and then in September. Brother in law had a couple nice 19's and I had a nice 20 for our biggest. Weather was about as nice as it can possibly get which aint the best for eyes but tons better than the freeze to death that we had a year earlier !

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      When was the last time you heard anyone rant and rave about Eurasian Water Milfoil? Introduced to MN in 1987 and through the 90’s, we complained, complained, blamed the DNR, cried that this invasive weed was going to kill off many fish because the invasive plant overtook native vegetation. DNR, lake associations and others monitored lake assesses for years to prevent transfer to no avail. Were creatures of habit and don’t like change. And NO Eurasians Water Milfoil did not kill off all the fish, as lots of fish still are caught along the much easier defined weed lines. Of the 388 DNR reported infested lakes only 20 new lakes were added in the last year and ½ and no longer seen to be an issue.
      Now we have a Zebra Mussel invasion, introduced to MN in 1995 with the same, rant & rave as was with the EW Milfoil, fostered by the DNR and news media with all the negative effects. They will eat all the Zooplankton fish food, large attachments to solid objects, sharp shells on bottom cutting swimmers feet etc. What we hear little about Zebras each adult filters 1 quart of water daily eating algae, a single cell plant Phytoplankton, including the toxic Blue-Green algae which for years been known to kill fish, dogs and humans. A female can produce a million eggs annually so the spread in infested lakes is rapid. Within a couple years the green, brown lakes are clear promoting vegetation growth to deeper water providing more cover for smaller fish. It ticks us fishing people off because our fishing techniques used for the last 50 years no longer work as fish feeding habits change. For us avid fishing people we will learn the new fish feeding habits on infested lakes rather quickly while occasional fishers may never learn new techniques which will increase fish population. While Zebras filter vast amount of algae they secrete a highly nutrient feces on the lake bottom providing a smorgasbord for bottom feeders including many of the minnows and other bait we use. After 4 to 5 years a large number of zebra die as their algae food supply is depleted.
      Hang in there, 465 bodies of MN waters already infected with Zebras with70 in 2019/2020. Infestation will continue as most boat access will not be monitored and the vast majority of boaters could care less about prevention. Another infestation will most likely happen and we will no longer focus on Zebras. Just a thought.
      The first excel file is the DNR link to all infestations. Second file Eurasian milfoil and Zebra lakes

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/eco/invasives/infested-waters.xlsx

Zebra-Eurasion infested.xlsx

• SoldierGirl
      By SoldierGirl
      So after returning to Minnesota after living pretty much everywhere else, I have finally returned to fishing.  Didn't realize how much I missed it until I started again.  I'm tired of fishing the river under the bridge like a troll so I'm looking for some good spots to shore fish around Ottertail.  My regular spot is too warm now and the fish have moved on.    I'm one of the odd balls who's not into muskies or walleyes.  Really prefer bluegill and bass.  I'm a bobber, nightcrawler and beer kinda girl.  Any advice on where to go?  How are the lakes in Maplewood State Park.
    • SoldierGirl
      By SoldierGirl
      So after returning to Minnesota after living pretty much everywhere else, I have finally returned to fishing.  Didn't realize how much I missed it until I started again.  I'm tired of fishing the river under the bridge like a troll so I'm looking for some good spots to shore fish around Ottertail.  My regular spot is too warm now and the fish have moved on.    I'm one of the odd balls who's not into muskies or walleyes.  Really prefer bluegill and bass.  I'm a bobber, nightcrawler and beer kinda girl.  Any advice on where to go?  How are the lakes in Maplewood State Park.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The deep summer "Dog Days" patterns for walleyes are in full swing producing excellent fishing.  As a rule, the big walleyes are hanging out on the deep mud in 30 - 34' of water.  Two main techniques, drifting or trolling spinners with crawlers or leeches at about 1.0 - 1.25 MPH.  Hammered gold, hammered silver and glow white are good starting colors.  The second technique is trolling crankbaits through various schools of walleyes over the deep mud.  Switch colors often but some starters, pink uv firetiger, chrome / blue, firetiger, and gold.  Some walleyes are still being caught shallow based on forage opportunities.  Different schools taking advantage of current conditions in different areas.  Watch electronics and go fishing!
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes scattered on flats and in deeper holes.  Trolling crankbaits and covering water effective.  Sturgeon living in deep holes throughout river.  Smallmouth bass and pike active around current breaks, rocky areas and weed edges. 
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle services available and fishing for multi species has been excellent.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Good walleye fishing continues north of Garden Island, around Little Oak Island and areas north and east of Little Oak with deeper mud.  Spinners with a crawler or trolling crankbaits both producing good numbers of walleyes.  Pike and muskies in deep bays and rocky points.  Smallmouth bass in 4 - 14' in rocky areas reacting well to crankbaits.  

• AlexKempston
      By AlexKempston
      Has anyone caught any muskie/musky on any of the Horseshoe/Sauk River Chain of Lakes this year? 
    • Jacksonlong32
      By Jacksonlong32
      Me and my buddy are here in emily MN for the next couple days, we both love fishing and wanted to take a shot in the dark at finding someone that could get us out on the water fishing. We would pay you and pay for gas.
    • Yancimator
      By Yancimator
      After fishing every handful in years in Minnesota for 40 years, I'm FINALLY going to bring my wife up to Vermillion and see it for the first time.   I'm chasing smallmouth and pike only (well, I'll gladly wrestle with a fooled Musky but not fishing for them).   If the largemouth fishing is better than the smallmouths, we'd probably chase some of them too.    Staying at Ludlows on the island.   Boy I'd love ANY help with where to start my searching for the smallies and pike and what to key in on that time of year.   I'll have basically two days to fish and will have my own bass boat.   I am an artificial bait only guy and catch and release.   Just looking for a bunch of tugs on the line and hopefully put my wife on some action.  Any guidance or direction??   

How deep are the smallies and what do they relate to that time of year?   Are the pike around visible weeds or submerged cabbage or something?   I'm coming in clueless.   Sure appreciate ANY help anyone's willing to provide.   Thanks!!!   Yancey from St. Louis, MO
    • LUCIFER
      By LUCIFER
      How do the blueberries look this years?

Thanks in advance.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• monstermoose78
      Starting to get pumped up!! I have been working Finn most days and now I need to start working myself up for hunting. 
    • smurfy
      I would think maybe Bigfoot.👍😂   But Yea the hair definitely looks like a deer.
    • TrueNorth
      Stayed on the west side last week.  Perfect weather for most of the week.  Light winds, cool mornings and 70-80 during the day.  Plenty of sunshine - no rain to speak of.     Of the ~20 Walleye we caught, 60% of them were in the 10" to 14" range.  Everything else was 22" to 26".   Trolled plugs but mostly fished spinners slow w/ Crawler and Leeches.    Fished mostly deep reefs all over the main basins.  Kept moving.  Biggest take away was a large scale bug hatch going on (not mayflies) and the largest small perch population I've ever witnessed.  Both of these lit of the electronics with pure clouds... 4-6" perch literally everywhere.  Pretty amazing to be honest.   Every fish was very healthy...stuffed full.  Gonna be fun in a few years.  Also caught several nice Bluegill, Small and Largemouth Bass and a few Pike.  All larger than past years.  1 50" musky stopped by to say high in calm weather middle of the day.     Did make it to the East side a few days with little success but the timing of the day didn't help.  Definitely marked plenty of fish off deep reefs in 16-30 mainly in Big Bag.  No bug hatch there and not near the bait fish population.     If I was there this week, I would fish reefs near deepest water adjacent to defined points.  That's my 2 cents.  
    • jeff_s
      SkunkedAgain, I’m sure my friends with the Incinolet would be happy to show it to you. They’re on Grassy Point. PM me and I’ll hook you up with them. 
    • muskie-mike
      I use 12 lb suffix 832 and find i use 4 ft of line for every foot of depth with a 30 ft mono leader...  
    • Raven77
      The most interesting thing I've seen on the lake is loons flocking up to fly south.  Saw this on Norwegian Bay October 9, 2018.  There had to be at least 200 of them, including some clearly too young to make the trip.
    • Raven77
      I've been having good luck with lead core as well.  I use Suffix 832, with line counter reels.  Each color is 30 feet of line.  As a rule of thumb, every 1 foot of depth requires 5 feet of line, so if you are fishing at 30' FOW you would let out 150' of line, or 5 colors.  Trolling speed affects how deep your crank is running as well (slower is deeper).  I usually run between 2.2 and 2.5 mph.  As a check, you can keep letting out line until your crank starts bumping bottom and then reel up 10' of line.  
    • ozzie
      I hear ya on the difficulties fishing any lobe of Whitefish on the weekends!  Just have to get up and be done before 10am or go back out after 6pm and the lake settles a little.  We trolled "lower" WF on Thursday evening and only caught 1 northern.  Didn't appear to have as thick of a gathering of fish... We went back out on Saturday morning to try our luck on Whitefish for Whitefish and in 2 hours caught 1 3.5lb'er and missed a few bites.  Wow can they be fun to pull out of 50-70 ft of water.  We use jigging raps but wow do whitefish bit lightly but put up a good fight...and there are plenty of them on the big lakes!!!  Good fish on the smoker too!! 
    • Borch
      I sent fish them suspended in the basin areas.  Do get a few any off bottom near weed edges and suspending near flats that drop sharply.  Like Bobt I have had good results trolling cranks over and around weeds.   Also, midlake humps with spinner rigs/crawler or jigging raps can be very good.   Panfish can be awesome.   However I had trouble pinning down many nice ones today.  So even they are not a guarantee.  Maybe I will have a better report soon as I will be up through Thursday evening. 
    • ozzie
      Well we launched there this weekend and the inspector made sure he was off the tar and parked out of the way.  We thanked him and he said "it sure would make things a lot more difficult if someone were parked in the lined off area to pull around in!"  WOW!!!! was nice to have an inspector with common courtesy and common sense!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.