• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

vermilionfox
20 hours ago, BWpineisland said:

I’m looking at a Crestliner fishing pontoon with 23’ floats and 60 hp. It will be used for family fishing, cruising on Vermilion. Any thoughts pontoon guys?  

I personally think the tube diameter is a bit small, when you laod it up if your balance is off some waves can be dicey on a boat with smaller tubes. Crestliner makes a good boat though. What kind of motor?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cliff Wagenbach

• delcecchi

• james_walleye

• MarkB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty slow walleye weekend for us around Moccasin Point area compared to what we usually do. Managed to put together a fish fry and bring a couple home but had to settle for 14" - 15" to get them. Di

Finally got out fishing at McKinley Park today. Missed the morning bite but still got plenty of bites up until 3pm when they shut off. Catching was another story. They were biting nice and solid but m

We returned home today from a short 3 day fishing trip on Vermilion. The weather was chilly most of the time and windy during our entire trip. All of the fishing took place on the east end of the lake

Posted Images

vermilionfox
9 hours ago, Dr. Bombay said:

What about Black Bay or Norwegian Bay?  Smallies?   

Dr. Bombay

Norwegian always has fish! Smallies were on rocks for me just about everywhere two weeks ago.

I haven't been up since August 4th as my son was up there for a week with his friends. Reports I have heard is that Frazer is still going strong with pockets of excellent fishing. If I were up there this weekend, I would still focus on the 17-22 feet areas with a Lindy Crawler/Leech presentation. I have really learned from this board to trust electronics and move on if you don't mark too many fish.

• Thumbs Up 1
redlabguy

I haven’t seen many posts lately which means I’m not the only one struggling to find fish. I ventured out of Frazer into Big Bay today and fished 20 fow on a shore line pulling a spinner/crawler  at 1 mph and got a limit of nice fish in a half an hour. They hit almost as soon as I got the bait to the bottom. Just me and the lab- - otherwise, we would’ve put a lot more fish in the boat. It was the third place I tried. It’s good advice to fish where you see fish on the sonar. 

RLG

• Thumbs Up 2

RLG, good to hear and I think that's one of the most important tips I've learned from this forum. Trust your electronics!

• Thumbs Up 1
Cliff Wagenbach

K-dub,

I have been seeing a lot more bluegills of that size in Big Bay this year then ever before!

Ran into a school of them last week and boated 17 gills that size one afternoon!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2
Pat McGraw

All,

My grandkids are coming up to Frazer Bay this weekend. Any pan fish tips for this area of the lake? I know the east end is not great for pan fish. I had my go to spots on the west end but am starting from scratch on the east. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thx

I'll be up starting mid September.  I'd like to spend some time targeting larger  (5+ lb) walleye - C&R / barbless hooks.  What type of structure and lures / bait / presentation would you recommend when targeting larger fish?  

Pat McGraw

tarpon6,

8 to 10' of water outside larger weedy bays (Larson, Muskego, northern reaches of Norwegian, etc). Pull blue, bronze or gold shad raps at ~1mph, maybe a bit faster. Use raps designed to run 5 to 7' deep. Mid September may be a bit early so consider the closest "summer structure" or hole near such locations. If fish are queued up in the deeper staging areas, you'll need to play with other presentations such as slip bobbers and minnows. Some folks will fish the shallower areas with slip bobbers too. However, it's just too much fun to have those sows crush a running lure. Good luck.

Surrounding the comments on panfish, I for one have caught more panfish this year in the Frazer/Smarts area than probably the last five years combined while fishing for walleyes (Lindy/crawler or leech) in 17-22 feet of water. Also, the smallmouth fishing has been on fire for me using the same techniques, without me targeting them.

• Thumbs Up 1
Pat McGraw

All,

Looking ahead to this weekend, it looks like the wind will swing from the south Friday AM, to WSW Friday evening, to WNW Saturday AM, to SSW Saturday PM though Sunday AM, and then SSE Sunday evening. It will then swing to the NE Monday as the next round of showers enters. I'll plan to start my search on W/SW facing inside turns and breaks. May also consider Cliff's notes and work a bit more with minnows. Just getting the strategy juices going. Please share yours as they come.

We were up for the weekend Sat - Mon.  Really struggled to find any active fish on Saturday, we fished all day and ended up with 8 keepers between the 4 of us.  Same story for most of the day on Sunday as we didn't have one keeper to show for our efforts between 6am - 3pm.  Ended up going in for lunch and heading back out at 5pm and finally found the fish stacked up in 16 FOW over boulders.  Horizontal jig and a minnow was the ticket as we put together a 4 man limit in less than 2 hours of nice 16 - 19" fish.  We back out Monday morning before heading home and they were still there and hungry, ended up losing a huge walleye at the boat right away and also got a nice 4 lb smallie.

Looking forward to getting back up sometime in October!

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a really tough time finding any keepers this long weekend in the Frazer / Smart Bay area using leeches/crawlers in my standard spots...wasn't showing too many on my graphs at all of my locations.....heard the same reports from others in the area

Pat McGraw

Sand and mud flats that had been producing with crawler harnesses were devoid of fish on the finder. Would occasionally see a few decent soundings on some steeper breaks but seems a significant seasonal shift may be upon of in the Fraser Bay area.

Wheres_Walter

We caught over 30 walleye saturday afternoon in about 3 hours.  Almost all were keep sized 13-17" fish.   Frazer bay.  15 -18 FOW near some humps that top out at 10-11' (but not up on the hump)  All on Chartruese Jig and half a crawler.   Missed a lot of bites on lindy's, switched to jigs and they just hammered it.   

• Thumbs Up 2

Interesting Walter, I was considering moving to a jig, but was too lazy....plus I was fishing the more "communal" spots, but did see boats out around the humps....should have known as they stayed there quite awhile :)

redlabguy

We need a Fraser Bay thread! I’ve been trolling spinners/crawler in Fraser with limited success at my favorite spots. 20-25 fow at abou 1 mph. I’m liking the jig idea on the rocks (I’d recommend any brand, shorter hook shaft, chartreuse, gold, rainbow colors but what do I know). I need to get myself some minnows, too. 

RLG

• Thumbs Up 1
Wheres_Walter

I was near the point adjacent to the long sand beach.   I think we got a little lucky.   We were moving around and hooked up once.  Dropped in a waypoint and every fish we caught was within a 20 foot radius of that waypoint.  

I go as small as possible with jigs, 90% of the time I use 1/8 Oz.  I like the standard Northland jigs, no bells or whistles.  Chartruese, chartruese/orange, and pink.  Keep it simple.   Fish were often hitting on the drop.   

• Thumbs Up 2
chucker1101

We fished Sat-Tuesday, off and on, depending on rain and some cabin projects. Probably put about 6-8 hours on the lake. Walleye fishing was tough early, seemed to get better by Tuesday. About 15 walleyes, kept 7. Biggest was 17", most in the 14-16" range. We fished both crawlers and minnows using Lindy rigs. Crawlers out-fished minnows. While we weren't getting a lot of walleyes, it seems for a while we got every other species in the lake: smallies, perch, rock bass, and sunnies.

We finally hit the bluegill schools everyone has been talking about - first bluegills ever on the V for me. Found a big school and landed about 10 in 10 minutes. Including 3 over 8" and one green sunfish (see pic) at 9.75" and 1 lb 1oz! Looked it up later, that is pretty close to state record ( 10.25" and 1 1lb 4 oz). Maybe there's a record there somewhere :)

Sunnie-2018-09.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Rick changed the title to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • Rick pinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Rick
      By Rick
      Congrats!
    • Rick
      By Rick
      Congrats everyone.
    • Schwarz04
      By Schwarz04
      Hello, new to this forum, was hoping someone out there who has experience ice fishing the St. Croix between Bayport MN and Hudson WI would be able to provide a rough ice report in terms of ice conditions, amount of foot traffic seen, numbers of people. Just looking to get a sense of how safe the ice is out there currently with the potential snow coming up this weekend. Was thinking of making the drive (about an hour) over, but not if its already sketchy.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  As the season progresses, anglers are following the walleyes, which in their typical winter pattern, are moving further from shore.  Walleyes and saugers being caught in 30-33 feet.  A mix of different size fish continue to be caught with sorting taking place to find the keepers.  Jigging with lures with a rattle or vibration has been effective in both catching and attracting fish.  Use a deadstick as your second line.  Normally a jig or plain hook with a live minnow under a bobber just off of the bottom will work well.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish as well as how fish are reacting to your presentation.  Some bait shops and resorts will rent units for the day.  Popular lure colors in the stained waters, gold, glow colors, and bright colors like pink.  Some trophy fish (over 28") and slot fish (19.5 - 28") continue to be caught. 
      On the Rainy River...   Ice fishing on areas of the river continues to produce some nice walleyes with mornings and evenings being best.  As ice conditions vary greatly on the river as there is moving water, we encourage guests who don't know the river to work through a resort for safety.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are three ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road is open!  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake are open.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  
      Some nice walleyes and saugers being caught up at the Angle with perch, eelpout, pike and tullibees mixed in.  On structure, morning and evenings the best while picking at the fish throughout the day.  If fishing deep mud, better daytime bite. Ripping Raps or jigging spoons with a rattle tipped with a piece of minnow head or tail working well.  Plain hook with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics. 

• IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      As many of you have probably noticed  some  of the frequent posters FM regulars with tips reports pics etc have moved on or rarely log in post anymore.  🙁 I'm still in contact with many of them and we still share the ice together so there all healthy and things are going well. And trust me there's still a pile of fish getting caught among  the group! Sadly I have decided I won't be contributing as much either and will be moving on. In case anyone was wondering why I haven't been active.  It's just been to hard frustrating and time consuming to try and keep things moving forward, Yes I'm still fishing and hunting a bunch just as much as usall and putting plenty of fish topside.  But after thinking things out I  have decided to put my efforts else where. Was a tough decision as I have been here for mega years! Hopefully I have helped some of you out with some of my tips and knowledge,  maybe some of my reports let you become part of my adventures, maybe I gave you a laugh or two! 😀 Just wanted to say Thanks ! To all of you for being a big part of my life for many years. I 've learned alot here shared some laughs  and have made many friends over the years. And trust me I  have learned alot from all of you if not through fishing, through conversations, friendships etc. Hopefully I still run into a few of you out on the lake, if so please come over and say Hi! Hopefully you all keep things rolling as best as you can. Tight lines to everyone 😀
    • smurfy
      By smurfy
      My wife just seen in Facebook that a vehicle went through on norway lake by willmar. Said it went through in the area of 189 st?? In about 10 ft of water.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Walleyes and saugers sliding into a bit deeper water with 26-30 feet being where most are fishingl  Good numbers of fish continue to be caught with a lot of sorting the future small fish in the system and choosing just the right ones for a fish fry.  Make some noise!  Jigging with lures with a rattle or vibration has been effective in both catching and attracting fish.  Use your second line, use as a deadstick, a jig or plain hook with a live minnow under a bobber set at 6 inches to a foot off of the bottom.  Electronics are helpful to show fish, how they are reacting to your presentation and when they are suspended.  Popular lure colors... gold, glow red, glow white, pink and green.  Nice numbers of walleyes over 28 inches caught this week. Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, big pike, tullibees, eelpout and even an occasional crappie or sturgeon being caught on Big Traverse Bay.
      On the Rainy River...   Ice fishing on areas of the river continues to produce some walleyes mornings and evenings. As ice conditions vary greatly on the river as there is moving water, we encourage guests who don't know the river to work through a resort for safety.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle is open.
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road is open!  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake are open.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air.
      Walleyes, saugers and jumbo perch with an occasional pike, eelpout, or tullibee in the mix up at the NW Angle.  22-27' has been the goto depth for most anglers.  No surprise, pink and gold have been hot colors, a LOW favorite with the stained waters.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  

• Remi
      By Remi
      I just won a ice castle fish house/rv edition and am wondering if anyone uses their flush toilets in them, and if so where do you dump at?  
    • opsirc
      By opsirc
      I have been making trips for the past 16 years, but this last one was our worst ever.  Friend and I were up Thursday to Saturday. We started about 6 miles out on Thursday in 30fow. graphed very few fish, and the ones we did would not bite, we did manage to get one eye 26 1/2 inches and one keeper. So Friday we moved out past 7 miles on the outskirts of most others.  Luck did not change, stay pretty much the same as Thursday, did get one 20 inch eye. There were alot of houses but could not tell if anyone was catching anything. watch a couple of trucks try to cross over a pressure ridge. first one got hung up. the second one took a running start, look like both the truck and house caught air. turned out to be the funniest part of trip. anyone fair any better this past few days?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Good numbers of walleyes and saugers are being caught this week, but a lot of sorting as lots of small fish in the system  Most ice fishing is taking place between 23 - 31'.  Jigging one line on one line and using a bobber with a live minnow on the other is the goto strategy.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish coming through such as walleyes and tullibees.  Popular colors... gold, glow red, glow white, pink and orange.  Lures with a red light stick and rattle baits are also effective.  Some big walleyes over 28 inches caught this week. Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, big pike, tullibees, eelpout and even an occasional crappie being caught on Big Traverse Bay.
      On the Rainy River...   Ice fishing on areas of the river continues to produce some walleyes mornings and evenings. Ice conditions vary greatly on the river as there is moving water.  Work through a resort for safety.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road (opening end of week).  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake are open.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air.
      Angle ice fishing continues to be very good with numbers of walleyes being caught.  Walleyes, saugers and jumbo perch with an occasional pike, eelpout, or tullibee in the mix this week.  Ice fishing taking place in 20-26'.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.