• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Figured I'd post how we did. Had a fun trip! I saw 2 muskies, one being a really nice one, on the first spot I fished on the first night. After that, nothin. I had my hopes up after making contact right away, but that's fishing.

We pulled some spinners with crawler harnesses and tied into a couple walleyes too. Everybody had a great time. I think I might go back up to Glenwood next October and focus solely on Muskies. I really like that location on the lake.

Went bass fishing with the club for the weekend up on Vermillion. I concentrated on Deep structure and picked off a few but lots of club members targeted largemouth and did much better than myself.

IMAG0435_zpsov8cbvfl.jpg

It's obvious what they were feeding on...

IMAG0438_zpst3p55fqr.jpg

IMAG0440_zpsbzthymz1.jpg

IMAG0439_zpsjr4bnkob.jpg

There are a few nice smallies out deep...

20140725_114611_zpsf6nivrvv.jpg

IMAG0445_zpslbduvbav.jpg

I did end up with a nice bag of Smallies on Sunday though..

IMAG0446_2_zps5bcmer2p.jpg

Hello Friends

Coming up Thursday and wondering how the walleye fishing has been for everyone. We are in the Frazer/Smart's Bay area.

Assuming still somewhat scattered and the bait of choice is half crawlers and leeches?

Thanks

PSU,

I had a couple of good days on Frazer Bay last week.

16' to 26' depths. 1/2 crawler.

Cliff

Best fishing of the year over the weekend (especially Saturday) for walleye! Both leeches and worms (full worms for that matter) seemed to be the ticket! 17-22 feet of water.

To boot, met some new friends on the lake which was fun and I know one of them posts here! Coming back up Friday for a long weekend with extended family.

Boy, I lost my mojo. Made the trip to the east end Saturday and between 3 of us, only 2 small walleyes and a few smallies and rockies. Boy it was warm and calm! We were working one area between 2 islands-maybe 50 feet wide. A boat was coming and I moved over about 12 feet from shore and a freaking tool on a burnt red jetski flys by us between the shore and my boat. I'll bet not more than 6ft from my boat going about 30mph! Then, he keep going and buzzed the front of a houseboat that was anchored. A little later we were out by Comet Island and got checked by the DNR, he said fishing was slow for the people he checked. I told him about the jetski, he made a funny comment about "jigs", which I won't get into smile.

I don't know if I'm old school or not, but when I was fishing between the islands, boats would fly through without slowing down. It wasn't the main channel, but apparently a short cut. They could have went up 60 yards around the other island without much effort. I always slow down (low wake) or go around fellow fishermen! Seem like a lot of people like to drive close to fisher people on both ends of Vermilion! I lasted about 15 minutes and moved on. Last time I was there we got into the walleyes and sure would have liked to give it a better try. I thought I was on the St Louis River for a minute smirk

Talk about rude boaters...

Was fishing the narrow gap between St. Paul Island and the shore, between the bouy and the island. Here comes a pontoon heading our direction from the north. He's not really going to squeeze thru here, is he? Surely not. Surely yes! Seriously? This tool hardly slowed down and passed within five feet of my bow on plane going about 25 mph? WTH? I was stunned and have never seen a more rude boater in my life...and I fished Minnetonka regularly for years. That is saying something. I could easily have hit his pontoon with my rod. He didn't look at us while pretending we didn't exist and endangering me and my passenger with his idiocy. I hope who ever this was is reading this cause there's going to be some problems next time. Geez... What are people thinking? And this on my 'happy place'...Lake Vermilion.

Brian

Anybody know if a video of these folks would be actionable by the authorities? I'd bet about the 10th Jerk getting a big ticket would slow their roll. Then all you would need to do is pretend to video them to keep them away!

Got my own story. Wife and I went out to do a little fishing and some boat riding. Come around corner by our place and here are two guys sitting right inbetween the red and green buoys that are like maybe 20 feet apart throwing musky baits. Luckily I know a way around without going all around taylor's island (channel was near cemetery point on west end).

Good thing I am so mellow.

Last month while trolling around a relatively remote island I had a guy chew my azz for trolling a crank between a single set of red'n'green.........

I was going 2.5 mph and it probably took me 5 seconds to pass through the area. I ignored his comments, then he added that "no fish would be there anyways".....I didn't say a word..... not two seconds later a 15" walleye snatched the crank on my way past the buoys. I gave him a smile and a nod grin Then he grumbled something to his passengers...... LOL

I can understand somebody getting miffed about a fisherman anchoring in a small channel, but this guy was mad that he had to slow his "look at me" gas burner down for 7 seconds because I wasn't going through on plane crazy

These guys had the trolling motor down and were happily doing their thing. And there is a pretty fair amount of traffic through that channel.

We've got a place over by fectos point. I can't count the number of times boats have happily buzzed the shoreline well within the 100' mark. Bobber fishing, kids swimming, doesn't matter.

I also was fishing between two islands casting for bass and had a 20' pleasure boater pass literally within feet of my boat on plane. I could not believe how close he got.

Nice LM's craigums. Similar bass report from 7/28 - 31.West end. For LM, find pads and reeds, fish pads and reeds, catch LM. Not so easy for the smallies. We fished a couple dozen different pieces of deeper offshore structure from 5-20 ft. We used jerkbaits, cranbaits, tubes, jigs and dingers. Did this over 3 days, at various times of the day. Got a couple for the effort. Tried docks too. Lots of em'. No go. Guideman, next time we'll be giving you a call. Nice to have the LM as a backup. Still, we had a great time and will be back. We stayed at Polly's. Loved the place. Super friendly folks and can't beat the "old school" feel. It was real enjoyable being on "big" water that doesn't seem big. So much stuff to choose from. Next time we might even make the time to fish for walleyes.

rascal

Kinda makes a guy want to bring a sling shot and taconite pellets with... Hahahahahaaa!

I've got one of those tennis ball throwers for dogs. I haven't got the opportunity to use it yet, mostly because by the time they get close I don't have time to run out to the end of the dock and use it.

One fine day I'll bounce one off of some jack wagon's boat.

Then I'll probably have other problems to deal with. Though I'll plead ignorance and point to the black lab and explain that I was simply throwing it for her to go get. whistle

We are staying on in Wakemup and need some advice on walleye. Not looking to slay them just catch a couple for my son's sake. Any thoughts?

We are staying on in Wakemup and need some advice on walleye. Not looking to slay them just catch a couple for my son's sake. Any thoughts?

Go east young man, go east. At least to frazier bay.

Slow fishing for me this morning in Frazer/Smart's Bay. Tried both leeches and crawlers in varying depths.

Any success?

It was very slow the past couple of day for me also in Big Bay.

I think this heat and no wind is getting to the walleyes also during the day time.

Cliff

I've got one of those tennis ball throwers for dogs. I haven't got the opportunity to use it yet, mostly because by the time they get close I don't have time to run out to the end of the dock and use it.

One fine day I'll bounce one off of some jack wagon's boat.

Then I'll probably have other problems to deal with. Though I'll plead ignorance and point to the black lab and explain that I was simply throwing it for her to go get. whistle

I've got a pretty good arm. I think if someone buzzed me close enough that I could pick them off with a tennis ball that would be pretty justified would it not? (Also a black lab to plead ignorance with)

Better day today, but had to work hard for them. 2 keepers and tons of tiny walleye....Frazer Bay Area-17-22 feet worms

• 2 weeks later...

Since I only saw Cliff at the boat landing I presume we were fishing the wrong side of the lake...Still managed about a dozen walleyes but all were under 14". 18-20 feet on a gravel/sand shoreline was the spot for us. Short snell or jig with a crawler or leech as they were tight to the bottom.

Anyone having luck on leadcore? I was up last weekend musky fishing abd I didn't notice many people trolling the typical spots.

From my experience coming up for 15 yrs, the leadcore bite is still about a week or two out. was there last weekend with not much success.

What triggers the walleye leadcore bite? I see plenty of fish at the depth I troll but no biters. Couple of years ago the bite was strong from mid August on...

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was pinned