• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spring Turkey

IceHawk

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Better get the snowmobile ready to get out and back

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Lol. I know a lot of the guys I know are seriously thinking of holding out for a later season includeing me. Really will have to see what kind of activity I see next week or so. Played cards yesterday with some buds that are turkey hunters, All commented on there scouting that big wintering flocks is what's going on.Need some warm weather and some greenery to get things going. Not looking good as I'm looking out the window in my office. :eek:

Over here we did not get much snow at all but it’s blowing like crazy. I will be out checking to see what’s going on next week as well but seeing archery is all season I will hunt just because I can. 

I did a bit of scouting Saturday, walking around on the frozen snow was not to bad. Some of the fields have clear strips on the north edges. I'm guessing the birds will go there for food and to be in the sun. As the snow melts the plowed fields will turn to slop. I'm also guessing the birds will avoid those as they just suck to cross. I did see a few tracks, so know some are around. Just need to spend some time in the woods to figure them out and see how active they are. probably just use a hen decoy or none at all to start....

Over 10 inches of snow to walk through. It will be fun 

Snow is definitely going down things are looking up! B season should be really good saw 3 strutter Toms this afternoon comeing home from fishing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Went for a short hunt yesterday morning. Heard a few gobbling on the roost on the neighbors land. They did not come my way and did not make any sounds once they flew down. It was great to be in the blind with the bow again. I am always amazed how loud the spring woods are. Every bird in the country was going crazy. Ducks, geese, crows, woodpeckers... music to my ears! Might get out again Sunday afternoon with my son and then myself Monday morning depending if we see anything Sunday....

• 2 weeks later...

How is everyone on FM season going?

I was fortunate to harvest a nice Tom this morning.  Been a fun season, hunting in 12in of snow to 70° and sweating.

• Thumbs Up 1

Back out in the blind this morning.  Another great sunrise and another great chorus of bird song.  Every bird but turkeys.

After yesterday and talking to my friend with the hunting history here, we’re convinced the yotes are in here thick enough to keep the birds quiet.  

There’s still some here; we just have to hunt em like deer instead of chatting it up with em.  My friend did muff a shot on a pair of toms yesterday but they didn’t seem to care according to him.

And posting magic kinda works again.  Not 2 minutes after putting the phone down a Tom enters the field at 77 yards.  Even in the corn stubble he shoulda seen my deke but proceeds to march due east like I don’t exist.

I give a soft cluck and purr to at least get a look, which he does but doesn’t seem to care.  He’s in a fast walk and only stops to gobble once.  My deke is at 10 yards and in line between us.  Still going like he doesn’t care, I call a little harder, which he promptly back tracks his steps to the fence line (which actually brings him back closer), then turns away and fast walks to opposite edge and walks off east where he was determined to get to before.

The toms I had gobbling yesterday we’re on a fast walk through the area too.  This is not what I expected on a property that supposedly hasn’t been turkey hunted in years.  Wierd.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice looking bird ANYFISH2! Hope to fit in a few days later in the season myself!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wanderer, do you have a good spot that is open or a trail in the woods near where the birds are frequenting?

The property I have hunted the past couple seasons has about a 15 acre field on the NW corner.  The birds do use it some, but are very difficult to pull anything across, or to us.  Never had a shot on the field.

On This property, the woods, even deep in the woods is far more productive, and birds seem someplace near all day.

Just an Idea. Plus It get you to work the posting magic!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I’m beginning to think that’s what it will take.  I’ve been hearing similar comments from others but was pointed in this direction to try first.  I’ve stuck to the edge so I have field and brush to watch.  Today’s spot is in the corner where the birds and deer seem to short cut it, plus it meets a wooded ridgeline the birds use.

I’ve normally hunted the woods in bluff country too so I guess this shouldn’t be much different, eh?

My friend is shotgunning and sticking to the woods so I’ll leave him have it.  He’s been staying around dusting bowls.  I’ll get into the woods when he’s done.

Thanks for advice. ?

Hah!  After the first incident this morning I decided to put my strutter deke out to see if it would help.  Nope!

Just had two toms enter the field the same place as the first one.  Same cadence and indifference to the decoys.  I didn’t bother calling this time and they just boogied across the field to where the first one ended up.  

The wind kicked up pretty strong so I figured it would some birds right away and it did.  I’m bagging on the rest of the day to go home and get some work done.  Until next time. ?

I've many times changed my luck dramatically just by moving my blind 50 yds or so.  I think they get used to seeing the same set up day after day and learn to stay clear.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DonBo said:

I've many times changed my luck dramatically just by moving my blind 50 yds or so.  I think they get used to seeing the same set up day after day and learn to stay clear.

This is great advice thanks Don!!

8 hours ago, Hoyt4 said:

Wanderer

Ditch the decoys. Good luck hope you connect soon.

I second this and I also advise to ditch the calls.  Move your blind/setup closer to the daily travel route and wait them out like you are deer hunting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tomorrow no decoys for me and using my other blind 

Thanks guys.  I normally don’t rely on dekes too much but I’m usually shotgun hunting so it matters less.  If I wasn’t bow hunting I might not even have taken them out of the truck.

New property for me this year and I didn’t get to scout it except last Friday night to set up my blind.  I don’t even like sitting in a blind for that matter.  As the name implies I like to move a lot. 

And I actually did move the blind Saturday night.  I’m getting closer to figuring this place out. ☺️  

I came back to work tonight to do the stuff I shoulda done while turkey hunting.  Had birds crossing my driveway as I left!  Haha!  And yes I can hunt my yard.  Just posting now cuz IT has my computer locked up - pushing and update.  Oh, done.  Back to work.

Yesterday was a hoot! I got into the blind and placed my decoys out. I was not going to use any but my dad tried that the night before with them not coming in. I placed my Jake and two hens out and I must have hit a gopher tunnel with a stake for the hen. As the morning was going on she slowly tipped over. I had gobbles in every direction, so she laid on the ground. I had one Tom come right behind my blind pacing, gobbling, Spitting, drumming, and raking the ground for 2 hours. I had to get home to take care of some paperwork for a new job at noon. When the Tom walked into the woods I got out of there quickly. I did see 4 other Toms when headed out. I know if I would have stayed one of them would have came in. If I had a shotgun that Tom would have been toast, because he was 10 yards from my blind however there was brush in between us. I will be out hunting soon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Exciteing  you definitely are putting your time in. keep plugging away it will all come together eventually ?

It will happen and I think that will be Friday.

It’s on tomorrow morning. If I have good service I will try to live up dates. 

good luck moose ! !

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank Eyeguy 

Good luck moose.

I will have Isaac out in the blind tomorrow morning as well.

Have a momma bear cub hanging around. Hope they're sleep far away when we walk in.