• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Spearing Machine

2017-2018 Vermilion Ice Conditions and Fishing Reports

KeithNyst

The 7-12" of snow they forecast did not happen; only a light dusting.  Should be making more ice the rest of the week.

Edited by KeithNyst
  • Like 3

Spearing Machine

We dodged a huge bullet there and looking out into the extended forecast we are going to have phenomenal lake travel in a week except for the fact we will be snowless but I can deal with that vs slush. 

• Like 2

Cliff Wagenbach

Hey Tommy! Good to see that you and your family are still kicking!

Cliff

• Haha 1

Cliff Wagenbach

I got out this morning to check ice conditions and ice depths in an area that i plan to try this winter.

I found 7"+ of ice  out to the area that I will be fishing. Still very little snow on the ice as the wind has blown most of the snow off of the ice.

I will be using my 4 wheeler to put my light Alumalite house out tomorrow!

Looking forward to icing a few walleyes finally with my new custom rods made by Northlander!:D

Cliff

• Like 2

redneckdan

Some one put a truck through the ice between stuntz bay and Ely island this evening.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Cliff Wagenbach

Dumb azz!!

Cliff

• Like 2

elyfishunter

Cliff, general area of where you found the 7+ ?

Cliff Wagenbach

South side of Big Bay.

Cliff

• Like 1

JTeeth

Tuesday ,the day after the hard rain, hole sthat had been punched last weekend were large in some areas of McKinley where I was. Some 3-4 feet in diameter. Very very sketches now. There is probably only 2 in of ice on those spots now and you won't have any cule where they are. I figured I would mark the spots I remember passing but that will only be a few. Middle of the bay...random spots where folks had portables. Doesn't surprise me someone went through. It seems like good ice...it is not!!! 

trumy

Unfortunately  there' is no cure for stupidity! Checked local lake near home and still has big open water out in the middle lots of springs in this lake .going out to try my luck in front of cabin on whiteface in morning  6to8 inches there last time checked  haven't seen any one onsleds or wheelers yet. Use common sense everyone and please be careful 

• Like 3

Wicheesehead37

Anyone know how the ice conditions are in the oak narrows?

Bigfatbert
5 hours ago, JerkinLips said:

Had great fishing out from McKinley in 28 FOW on Friday-Saturday.  Caught a great mix of dinks, eaters, and slot fish.  I ended up catching five 22-25" walleyes, but my guest on Saturday (Chris Larson) caught the largest at 25½".  Best action was using a chub on a plain hook, but small jigs and rattlers also had action.  Walleyes still didn't like the sucker minnows.

I had 8½" of ice where I was (was 6½" the previous week).  But be very careful out there because there are bad spots as people have mentioned.

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4912.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG

SYAT2598.JPG

Had great fishing out from McKinley in 28 FOW on Friday-Saturday.  Caught a great mix of dinks, eaters, and slot fish.  I ended up catching five 22-25" walleyes, but my guest on Saturday (Chris Larson) caught the largest at 25½".  Best action was using a chub on a plain hook, but small jigs and rattlers also had action.  Walleyes still didn't like the sucker minnows.

I had 8½" of ice where I was (was 6½" the previous week).  But be very careful out there because there are bad spots as people have mentioned.

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4912.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG

SYAT2598.JPG

Nice fish , great pics ,, what times of the day were best for you ?

• Thanks 1

JerkinLips

9-11am was best time both days.

• Like 1

Bigfatbert

Thanks for the reply JerkinLips...

redneckdan

Just pulled two out of st Mary's in eveleth. It was close. Please make good choices out there.

That said, I'm off to find a cup of hot chocolate and a long finlander hot shower....

Edited by redneckdan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Spearing Machine

Great report, JL! I guess I should've hit the ice here instead of road tripping else where! 

• Like 1

BRULEDRIFTER

Jerkin, is there snowmobile/ATV travel out there? 

Cliff Wagenbach

BD,

Yes, generally most areas are now safe for ATV and snowmobile travel.

Cliff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JerkinLips

As Cliff said, there were a lot of ATVs running around out from McKinley Park last weekend.  I heard that a lot of permanents were going up last Sunday.  I am going up tomorrow again and will report more on Sunday.  I may travel across Big Bay with my snowmobile if fishing is slow close, and the ice appears safe.

• Thanks 1

BRULEDRIFTER

Thanks! Good luck!

BWpineisland

Anyone been around the western edge or north side of Pine with sled or atv?

Spearing Machine

Fished from 0815-1230 today out from McKinley out to 26 FOW. Found about 10.75 inches good ice with snow cover varying from 2 inches up to close to a foot in the soft drifts but still not too bad for hiking while dragging the flip over. Had decent action from 0830-0930 bringing up 8 walleyes less than 12 inches long, a 12 inch perch and 2 tullibees all released. About 50-50 on set line vs glow jigging spoon both with chubs. Not sure why I couldn't connect on better quality fish. Still a nice morning with the snow lightly falling and peaks of sun.

Good running into you, Cliff! Hopefully we'll cross paths again this winter.

• Like 1