• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Panfish Pics

eyeguy 54

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
1 hour ago, Rick G said:

Big old hen gill...biggest one for the day.  And yes, that is old Grandpa eyeguy laying down on the job😂

IMG_20220228_143531718_HDR~2.jpg

Oh no, hope he didn't break a Hip!  🤭

• Yayyyy 2

9 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Oh no, hope he didn't break a Hip!  🤭

Didn’t he get new ones a while back?  From Clam? 😉

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Couple pics from this week

071E8D27-CAF9-48DF-AC5B-E1B8F0C113D3.jpeg

3D3D5540-ED4C-44E4-B813-100D408241AB.jpeg

So, cheese in the brats and corn in the burgers?  🤔

Best crappie this ice season for me, and a couple of bluegills from the lake right by my house:

nazv4zp6kov3dgo4r96u6ngby4l2.jpg

forehead gill.jpg

christmas crappie.jpg

Edited by cm012419
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 2

Also do you guys have any favorite recipes for pike filets? Two friends of mine speared two pike on Sunday and I took them home and fried them with shore lunch and thought that they were ok, but could be better. Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, cm012419 said:

Also do you guys have any favorite recipes for pike filets? Two friends of mine speared two pike on Sunday and I took them home and fried them with shore lunch and thought that they were ok, but could be better. Thanks

pike are my second favorite fish to eat after a scaled sunfish!!!!!!!! the batters are like ford vs chevy arguments......depends on what you like. i think pike have more flavor then a walleye. but deep fried is good. i've also laid pike fillets in tin foil, seasoned them with whatever you like, and lemons on top and grill them.  some people make a poor mans lobster out of them by boiling then and dipping into butter.    i like it but not my #1 go to!!! 

IF.....there big enough....i Y-bone them. the Y-bone i pickle. there is also pickling them or smoking them........smoked pike is top notch in my opinion!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, smurfy said:

IF.....there big enough....i Y-bone them. the Y-bone i pickle.

I pickle all of mine nowadays.  I've had them prepared other ways, but I find battered/deep fried fish to be a major turnoff now.  All that batter or breading just takes away from the true taste of the fish.  You might as well deep fry hot dogs and then dip them into tarter sauce if you're going that route.

Removing the Y bones is a tricky process.  I'm not very proficient at it, which is partially why I prefer to pickle them.  All of mine are under the 22-26 inch restricted slot.  They are an abundant resource and very easy to catch.  Many lakes are lacking sizable pike these days so its important to me to release the ones over the restricted slot.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, gimruis said:

I pickle all of mine nowadays.  I've had them prepared other ways, but I find battered/deep fried fish to be a major turnoff now.  All that batter or breading just takes away from the true taste of the fish.  You might as well deep fry hot dogs and then dip them into tarter sauce if you're going that route.

Removing the Y bones is a tricky process.  I'm not very proficient at it, which is partially why I prefer to pickle them.  All of mine are under the 22-26 inch restricted slot.  They are an abundant resource and very easy to catch.  Many lakes are lacking sizable pike these days so its important to me to release the ones over the restricted slot.

I'm trying to find a way to batter my batter and fry that!  😝

• Yayyyy 2

5 hours ago, cm012419 said:

Love pike on the grill. Olive oil on foil. Lemon wedges and onion slices on top. Indirect heat. Mmmm

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, cm012419 said:

Try Shore Lunch Oven Style and bake it.  Or better yet air fry if you have one of those or a convection oven.

We just keep experimenting with breading and don’t do much batter and oil frying anymore - even though I just bought a small counter top basket fryer.  We were hating the stove top spatter and smell in the house even though we’ve done it for years.  Now I can do our frying outside and with less mess.

By the way, the foil/lemon/butter process these guys are talking about is a winner in my book too. Onions, yellow, orang, and red bell pepper slices go along real nice.

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Light coat of dry breading.

Those look pretty good.   Are those pike filets?

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Those look pretty good.   Are those pike filets?

Crappies. I use the presto fryer. Peanut oil. 7 cups oil. Strain after every use. Get 8-10 Uses before I throw it. Store in dark spot. Might have to add a couple tablespoons once in a while. Fry at least once a week. Easy peasy. @monstermoose78  how was the fish fry on blue? 😁🐟

7920242B-1BF7-475C-809E-5CC89568B4D7.jpeg

Looks like a bluegill. You getting so old you think you caught a chicken??

• Yayyyy 1

7 hours ago, gimruis said:

Both pike were 20" and I would not keep any northern over the slot. Sunday was my first time filleting them on my own and I was able to clean them pretty good without any bones but it was a challenge. I really enjoy panfrying sunfish/crappies the few times I decide to keep fish but I felt that the frying hurt the pike filets' flavor so I appreciate all of these new ideas

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, cm012419 said:

Both pike were 20" and I would not keep any northern over the slot. Sunday was my first time filleting them on my own and I was able to clean them pretty good without any bones but it was a challenge. I really enjoy panfrying sunfish/crappies the few times I decide to keep fish but I felt that the frying hurt the pike filets' flavor so I appreciate all of these new ideas

My favorite way for pike is just breaded in a little flour with some pepper and fry in butter. So good!

Edited by eyeguy 54

this is just my opinion...........the slot is 22-26 to set free...........so anything under 22 is fair game. and i've dome my fair share of taking them out of some lakes.  personally its a pain to fry the small ones and a waste to Y-bone them out. 

this is where pickling and or smoking them come into play............

yes pike are slimy.........once there skinned and rinsed...there fine! i usually let them sit in water overnite then freeze!!!!!!! i never have any "stink".

and yes..i'll take any fish over 26!!!!!!! perfect Y-boning slabs........i dont throw the Y-bone stuff out either..........that also gets pickled!!

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, DonkeyHodey said:

They then starve and stunt (especially in a hot summer). 

Also, The lakes get better perch/bass/sunny structure when smaller northerns are culled.  

(Stunted fish in lakes is complex and multifaceted (i.e. don't keep big male sunnies) but I believe a significant factor is the following:  northerns preferentially eat perch.  Perch compete (and outcompete) sunnies for spawning/growing/feeding areas (in shallow weedy lakes).  When a lake gets too many northerns, they eat the perch and the sunnies reproduce like mad.  End result is a lake loaded with tons of little northerns and little sunnies...)

Do not eat bigger Norties.  I won't lecture on the definition of "bigger" but personally, I don't keep Norts over 26 inches.

Well played.  If more people would abide by this, we wouldn't have so many lakes full of stunted aggressive pike and small panfish.  We dug this problem on our own over a long period of time, and its going to take a long period of time to get out of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why you guys so down on the Pike? 😟

Pike Lives Matter!  😆

• Yayyyy 3

1 hour ago, Rick G said:

Don't mind me...just here to show a couple pics from today hunt.... Then you all can get back to swapping pike recipes 😂

IMG_20220303_175837084_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220303_175919122_HDR.jpg

Dude, don't you work? 🤔   Save us laborers sum! 😆

• Yayyyy 1

15 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Dude, don't you work? 🤔   Save us laborers sum! 😆

He tosses most if not all of them back, so you can mark em leech but not catch em 

• Yayyyy 2