• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who has made a homemade sled for pulling gear out??

Jim Panfish Uran

In the past I've heard of people re-purposing skis for pulling their gear out on the lake. Anyone have any tips on how to do this successfully? What kind of box or tub works best?!?! Would this work better than a plane style otter sled? Seems like it'd be easier to pull.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

years ago I used a short pair of downhill skis. cant remember how I attached the wood frame but i had the frame about 6 inches tall and would set my clam 5600 on it. worked slick. wish I still had it to pull portable out in this snow. Might have to make one. 5 pairs of skis still in the rafters. :) 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Jim Uran said:

In the past I've heard of people re-purposing skis for pulling their gear out on the lake. Anyone have any tips on how to do this successfully? What kind of box or tub works best?!?! Would this work better than a plane style otter sled? Seems like it'd be easier to pull.  

Here ya go Jim. This beaut is on C/list right now! $35 bills. Mite go quick! :P

01010_7sqPqREPhjn_600x450.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

you pull leech, jim and I will troll. and drink beer! 

2 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

you pull leech, jim and I will troll. and drink beer! 

ya, I only pull sleighs with a sled. Better hold on! :grin:

5 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

no way,  legs only!

Now your just being a beer drinking Troll! :lol:

looks a lot like what I had.  worked nice

• Thumbs Up 1

I've built one using Cross Country Skis that were given to me and leg bolted four by fours on end cut to about 6 inches or so for some clearance 2 by 1 frame with quarter inch plywood on top Framed out to be 4 feet wide Buy 6 feet long. It has worked out pretty slick for me but I do suggest keeping it on snow or ice only and not dragging it through rocks or a parking lot. I have thought about putting my clam on it most likely would it be easier to pull out with less surface drag. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I built my smitty sled last season. I will try to get some pictures later today. 

I used downhill skis skis and built a cedar frame and platform.  it's big enough that my jet sled sits in the frame and my 949i and floor sit on the rack. 

If if you are dragging your gear out, it is 100times less effort with a smitty than just an otter or jet sled. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I used 1/2" pipe for my frame. Screw 4 pipe flanges to the skiis. Vertical 12" pipes off the flanges, then elbows and 3 or 4 foot pipes for the crossbars. Tie on a rope, strap your porty on top and go. When spring comes, it scissors down pretty flat for storage.

• Thumbs Up 1

this is from papadarv

Here's my new homemade sled for my suitcase shanty. I got tired of it being a snow plow instead of it riding on top of the snow. Now it is like pulling 5lbs behind me when I have probably 85lbs of gear on it. It puts together in 30 seconds and takes apart in 15 seconds. It glides so easy over the snow! Now I'm not afraid of walking a long distance to a hot spot if I have to. It can be built for $15-$20 depending how cheap you get your skis for and what other stuff you have on hand. My skis only cost me $5 at our local thrift store. This also comes apart really easy so you can fit in your car like I have to, NO TOOLS REQUIRED! I thought I should share this for anyone on a budget or for one to get into your car Like I have to. Smitty
Untitled-24.jpg
Untitled-23.jpg
Untitled-21.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

13 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Here ya go Jim. This beaut is on C/list right now! $35 bills. Mite go quick! :P

01010_7sqPqREPhjn_600x450.jpg

Hahahahahahah!!!! That is pretty awesome though!

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Jim Uran said:

Hahahahahahah!!!! That is pretty awesome though!

Cut holes in the chairs and you got a two holer for the summer as well. Dang versatile unit, where do you think the name Smitty sled came from? :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep Smitty Sled is the basic concept. What I've noticed is a minimiun of 6" clearance makes a difference as snow gets deeper. SAW one like what YOU"RE thinking Jim was about a foot off snow 18" wide by 4' long box, equipment in box, notch cutout on top of box to hold auger, hub bungeed on top of it all.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I promised pics...

Empty...

IMG_4354.JPGIMG_4355.JPG

with the jet sled...

IMG_4356.JPGIMG_4357.JPGIMG_4358.JPG

it is primarily used to pull by hand. But I do have a ridged hitch on it for use with the wheeler or snowmobile. 

IMG_4359.JPGIMG_4360.JPG

5.5' tall as that's the size of the pickup box. So I did have to cut the skis down a little and cedar 2x4s are overkill, but it's way better than just the jet sled. WAY BETTER!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Jim Uran said:

That is pretty bad a$$! I need to find me some skis. 

There are a ton of them down here on c/list. If you didn't live way up there in the sticks! :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a sled I made a couple years back.  sides are plastic milkboard stapled on to 2x2's.  Skiis wear fast if the sled is ever pulled over gravel, so I changed the skiis out last year and replaced with 4 inch pvc pipes.  Also made a set of wheels that hinge down over the skiis so I can pull my sled behind the 4-wheeler down the road to get to the lake.  I'll post a newer picture if I can find with those changes

2015-12-23 16.36.29.jpg

Edited by benhoffman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Best option for plowing snow? 

17 hours ago, Fishonice said:

I have pulled plenty of sleds 

still think otter with slides is best options

The otter works well when using a machine or on bare ice. But if you are pulling by hand in the snow, there are far better options. Try one of the homemade ski sleds and you will wonder why you waited so long. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Here's a couple of pictures of the one I made to haul out my gear and my fish house.  I can fit my rod bag, cooler for bait and fish, hand auger that I made an adapter for my drill, sunflower heater, lantern, 2-1 pound propane cylinders, my flasher and four chairs.  It's only 3' wide and 4' long the sides are 16" tall.  I also have a place to attach my chisel to the side, I have a eye bolt to keep it from coming it out.

20161116_072915.jpg

20161116_072909.jpg

20161116_072902.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow that is one sweet set up! All of these ideas are great guys, let's not forget how important this shared information is to each other. This info is priceless!

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks Jim, here's a picture of the fish house on top, it keeps everything from getting snow on it, and from bouncing out when driving to the lake.  To test it out I had both my small kids climb into it (around 100 pounds of weight), I could pull them through 7" of snow no problem at all.  I will attach a piece of PCV pipe to the rope if I'm pulling it out by hand so you have a better handle instead of just the rope.

20161222_074243_resized.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Monday I picked up a pair of cross-country skies at "Another Mans Treasure" off 65 and Viking for $10. Didn't have down-hill. Built the sled yesterday with scrap lumber, out on Coon to day, Grandson has it in tow. They really work well!

20161228_100315.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4