• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horseshoe Ice reports

Horseshoe_Don

Lake is still dry with little change in the ice this week.   I expect that to start changing today.   Did catch a mess of 11" crappies somewhere on the chain last weekend.

Don

• Thumbs Up 1

Don, How thick is the ice on average on the lake? At one point I saw 13 inches? I'm guessing with the warm up it will go fast.

2 minutes ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

The ice turned colors today.    Shorelines are melting fast.

Don

I seen  3 houses out there this afternoon...hope they can get them off without incident!!!!! 

12-14 inches throughout the north side of long today.  Was like drilling through a slushy by the end of the day....ice was getting pretty soft.  Landing is starting to go, had to drive through water for 5 feet (atv) to get off the lake.

oh, and couldn't find the crappies to save my life

Ice is very black and honeycombed.   I would say its only safe for walking but if we get a lot of snow it may not be safe period.   I have open water pockets in the ice by my shore.   Open water is not far from becker and the river is opening up north of the access.

Don

• Thumbs Up 1

Ice is freezing up.  Shore lines are now frozen up where they were open.  Ice is honeycombed but firm.   River is open past the 22 access by 100 yards.   I might just take out my small wheeler and do a walleye fishing on shoe this weekend.

Don

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Checked the ice by my place today on Shoe.   It was 10" thick and came out in crystals when I chiseled it.    The north side of the lake has open water from the river.

Don

• Thumbs Up 1

I was on the river Sunday by Cold Spring. The ice was coming down in chunks and candling. Cold on the boat no fish but fun to be out. I usually do better for cats near the 22 bridge.

• Thumbs Up 1

It will be open from the 22 access to the 22 bridge shortly.   Not far from connecting

Don

River now open from 22 access to cedar island.   Also open water to meth hole.

Don

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ice on shoe in front of my place is at least 8 inches in some places.   Could have driven a wheeler on it.    Thinest I could find was about 4".    There are places that are very thing though.   Basically places that were open a couple a weeks ago.

Don

Is the access on 22 still open at least?  I was hoping to get the boat out and chase a few cats Sunday, maybe it won't be an option?

Whiskerbent, You beat me to it I was going to ask the same Question. Last sunday was out on the chain by Cold Spring I could only get to the second bridge up didn't have much luck. Want to get out by Horseshoe.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

There's a few really good cat spots in that stretch.  It won't be long and it will all be open.

it is open from the 22 access to the 22 bridge and i assume the channel down stream to cold spring.

Don

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   This year's MN Fishing Opener weekend was not only great weather wise, the walleyes and saugers were caught in good numbers.  A main fish gut hauler working with a number of resorts commented it was one of the most productive opening weekends he has seen based on the amount of fish guts collected after the weekend. The goto presentation was a jig and frozen emerald shiner.  Emerald shiners are a staple in LOW and walleyes love them.  Other minnows worked also, but emerald shiners are a favorite of anglers for good reason.   Four Mile Bay held good walleyes in 12 - 18'.  Not a surprise as the walleye bite on the river during the spring season was good and as of late, sturgeon anglers have been reporting catching walleyes on sturgeon rigs.   The Lighthouse Gap area, Morris Point Gap and just in front of Pine Island held nice fish in 12 - 15'.  Across the south shore, 18 - 22' was holding good numbers as well.  As you can see, there are lots of fish around.     A quarter ounce jig in gold, glow white, pink, orange, chartreuse, or a combo of these colors tipped with a minnow worked well.   As a reminder, the limit of walleyes and saugers is a combined limit of six fish, up to four of the six can be walleyes.  All walleyes between 19.5 - 28.0 inches must be released.  One fish over 28.0 inches can be kept.  The possession limit in MN is one daily limit of fish. On the Rainy River...  Some nice walleyes were caught on the river this weekend, although most anglers hit the lake.  10 - 15' of water was the norm.     Sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River has been excellent.  The catch and release season continues through May 15th and then closes until the keep season starts up again July 1st. Up at the NW Angle...  Some nice walleyes were caught in 18 - 25 feet of water, a little deeper than anticipated.  Points were good as were areas with structure.  The morning and evening bite was best.       As water continues to warm, go to spots for walleyes will be neck down areas, shoreline breaks, points and bays.     The goto presentation was a jig and minnow.   
    • SkunkedAgain
      I found this dock wheel floating in Black Bay. If it's yours or you know whom it belongs to, go and grab it.    
    • SkunkedAgain
      Most years for opener I drive up on Thursday. This year it was Friday afternoon so I figured bait would be tight. The only place that I stopped was L&M in Virginia. They said that they sold out of rainbows by 11am. I got crappie minnows and never needed the rainbows. All my walleye were caught dragging raps. The crappie minnows....well, you know what they caught.
    • leech~~
      That's a good first step. But are you ready to buy this for the ranch and save the plant more? 🤭   EGO POWER+ 56V Battery 52" Zero Turn Lawn Mower. PRICE $8,899.00 534842_main.webp
    • gimruis
      I got a nice Tom in season B and posted photos in the local thread (Moose's report).
    • Wanderer
      Did you have any luck?     I got a bird but didn’t really do much for pics worth showing.
    • Wanderer
      It depends on a lot of factors, I suppose.   I hung on to my last gas auger for a few years after getting into electric but I never used it so I finally sold it.  Haven’t missed it one bit.  You bet it was reliable though.  Still started on the second pull for the new owner.   After trying several options in the electric world, I’m currently settled on a Strikemaster 40V with Liteflight bits.  With 2 fully charged batteries, I fish all day in Canada, cutting 10 inch holes.     What I’ll agree with is, if you search by drilling and flasher sonar, you will probably be more comfortable with the run time of a gas auger.  When you start incorporating GPS mapping, forward facing sonar, and saved waypoints, you don’t need to Swiss cheese every spot you fish.  I can still run through both batteries when the fishing isn’t great but I never feel like I have to count my holes.  It’s more like: Did I need the second battery before the middle part of our fishing hours?  If I still can’t catch fish after running out 2 batteries, it doesn’t matter cuz the fish just ain’t biting.   That’s fishing on the dark side! 😉 
    • Wanderer
      Thanks.  Yep, iPhone. Photo mode, not portrait. No flash.
    • leech~~
      I didn't pick Leech~~ for no reason!  
    • leech~~
      Do you have an iPhone?   Great shots.  👍

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.