• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clam Drill Plate

eyeguy 54

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

grabbed 2, 4 amp batteries at the depot today. might grab the hammer drill that has 600 torque if the regular drill gets fried. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I know that, it has 3 settings on the drill. :) found a ryobi on the bay for 50 that has 600 lbs. most likely will get it. P214 model. anybody use one?

My ryobi wouldnt cut it  So i bought an 18v blac &  decker COULD ONLY drill 3 holes with two batteries think if i get the larger ion batts for same drill will do the job cause had great torque

what model ryobi?  lots of them

35 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

what model ryobi?  lots of them

Why don't you take the free Dewalt I offered you....no more worries about not enough power...lol :-)

• Thumbs Up 1

then I will need to buy the bigger dewalt batteries. they look spendy.  I have 7 ryobi batteries now. 2 are the 4 amp.  :)  600 pounds should be plenty  from what all are saying. I can take the 2 , 4 amps back and grab the dewalt. hmmmmmm, decisions desicions. lol

Why so many batteries???  lol   I use with weed wacker and leaf blower.  pine needle blower mainly :) soooo much nicer than sweeping;

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
On 12/1/2016 at 8:34 AM, eyeguy 54 said:

I know that, it has 3 settings on the drill. :) found a ryobi on the bay for 50 that has 600 lbs. most likely will get it. P214 model. anybody use one?

Since you bought two 4 ah batteries your sort of all in now. You might as well get the P14.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, WBcrappiekiller said:

My ryobi wouldnt cut it  So i bought an 18v blac &  decker COULD ONLY drill 3 holes with two batteries think if i get the larger ion batts for same drill will do the job cause had great torque

Lets say you have 1.5 ah batteries now and you drilled one and a half holes per battery.

Unless that ice was 50' thick, have dull blades and your auger is 8, or bigger that's not a drill you want to put more money into.

So give us some info on your auger and how many in lbs of torque is your drill?

• Thumbs Up 2

p214.  49 bucks on the bay :)  600 pounds

regular ryobi is 350 pounds

5 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

p214.  49 bucks on the bay :)  600 pounds

regular ryobi is 350 pounds

Eyeguy with the new auger you got it will buzz through some ice easy as pie no worries

• Thumbs Up 1

maybe some ice to test it on next weekend. :) 

• Thumbs Up 2

Getting the 6" clam plate hopefully this week. Picked up a brush less 20v dewalt on sale for black Friday. After using moose's drill a couple times last year I am all in on the drill plate!

• Thumbs Up 2

Checked I have 3 Amp batteries 

did not know about it or would have checked it out. looks nice also and like the idea of the float.  with my back I think the handles on the plate will be better. 

The auger that comes with the plate has nice smooth blades like my old hand auger I see the k drill is quite different. would be fun to see them on ice side by side. cost is nice also on the plate kit. 

I watched Genz run through the ice a few years back with the K-drill, it was an impressive sight. The drill plate gives you the auger handles which is a plus, but the cutting edge on the Kdrill looks impressive for drilling through any ice whereas the Clam drill plate deals with lazer blades?? I like the fact that the K-drill comes with the Vexilar customer service. 

Either one looks like an improvement over my gas auger, I think I may have to buy me a nice drill for tapping maple trees in the spring that doubles as an ice auger through the winter :)

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope you have some syrup to trade for chokecherry jelly or salsa if i get up that way :):) .  tempered steel blades it says for mine

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yes Royce, we will happily trade for jelly and salsa. We ended up keeping 12 pints for ourselves for the year which looks like more than enough. I think we still have 7 left lol.  We will get after some fish this winter and we will be able to trade sometime this winter! If not we will have even more this spring if this killer winter prediction comes true!

• Thumbs Up 2

Talked with Mike Raetz and it does have the tempered steel blades. Works great is what I keep hearing so will find out soon. :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

I will give mine a test tomorrow 

had to test. went to pond down street and only 1 inch of ice so no try there.  Checked neighbors pond in his back yard and 2 1/2 inches. So i grabbed the auger and drilled from his deck so I was not on ice. Sheesh!  took about 1 second. Did 2 more for fun. Looking forward to trying it on the thick stuff. :) 

I have been looking at all of the Drill Adapter setups, and I like the clams, just wondering if anybody has used the Nils version?  I know about the K Drill, but haven't heard of anyone actually using one (plus its expensive).

Which of the augers does the Clam work with?

Thanks

the clam kit i bought comes with the clam hand auger and plate. If you dont want that auger I would guess it works with others as well with the right parts. Somebody know?  

• Thumbs Up 1

To use the Clam plate with a Nils you'll need to buy or make an adapter. The adapter can be found on epay.

Or don't use the plate and get a drill adapter.  You can get the drill adapter again on the bay or from Nils Master.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can use the clam plate with the k-drill, they make an adapter. The K-drill recommends a minimum of 725 or 750 for torque, so you almost have to get the higher end drills. The newer Clam has the gear box which will double your torque with a 2:1 gear ratio. You can pick up the conversion box for $70. They had a deal on those at the show last weekend, as well as the K-drill. The K-drill cuts through the ice like butter, if you get the clam plate and conversion box, you should be able to still get double the torque then. So Clam plate $70, plus the Clam conversion box ($70), and add in the K-drill ($215), and I already have a drill. Brings the total up to $355. But don't have to purchase gas or propane or, light weight, no fumes. I will let everyone know how it works out.

• Thumbs Up 1

thx for the info guys.  maybe we can pop a video or 3 up in a month or so with the different setups. Might have a foot of ice to play with. :)