• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose is getting a LAB puppy

monstermoose78

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well Thanks @ZachD I contacted the same place you are taking Tango. They were on my list and good friend of mine had his dog there a few years  ago for the first 2 trainings. So that is my plan as well. I hope they have some openings so Finn can attend. I am thinking May or June to get him started. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finn is growing very fast and dirty looks like a full-size dog. It's going to be a sad July and August around my house because fin will be at training. I can't wait to get him out hunting this fall.

As my cousin Danny used to say.....   every puppy deserves a boy. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

My wife is against Finn going to training! What does a guy do? I want my dog trained right, but I need to be trained as well,  I was excited to get Finn in and now I am second guessing myself. Any ideas people?

write down all the options and pros/cons of each one.  Then you and wife decide, make sure Finn is there too during this process :)

I wouldn't trade DIY training for anything.  6 dogs, many successes and many mistakes.  My latest is about 18 months old and I've done so little "real" training with her it's crazy.  Most of what she's learned is just out with me having fun. She hunted last year right beside my buddy's pro trained dog and the only thing she does differently is not retrieve the bird in the sitting and healing position, she just brings it to me face to face.  I think that's because she has obedience down pretty good.  Sit and come.  The hunting and retrieving came natural to her.  The dog HAS to sit in the duck blind.  COME when called, especially 'bird' hunting.  Teach blind retrieves and that's all I need in a dog.

It's not as simple as above for sure but it doesn't have to be really hard.  If you want something else in your dog or for you that's a different story.

Edited by leechlake
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I am kind of with Leech on this one I have trained My last two labs myself. The satisfaction I get seeing the end product makes it all worth while to me. Both labs turned out great Abby is gone but Zoe is 7 now and a hunting machine. Yah she makes a few mistakes at times but the guys I hunt with always coment on how good she is so I must have done something right :). First off get yourself some good books read through them and follow the stages and techniques. . I used Richard Wolters books a lot. Another was puppy retiever training by Loveland and Rutherford. I will say this everydog is different kind of like children so progress    as much as you think the puppy is ready for. Time was a issue with me because of my job so I use to go to high school parking lot and use the street lights for bumper training at times. Crazy but it worked when I ran out of daylight.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could never send my dog away and then feel like he was my dog. It would be like sending your kid away and then being so proud. Consistency is the key. I too used the Richard wolters book. Worked great. Not having my pup for 2-3 months would have killed me when he was growing up. Training starts now. If you can train them to go potty outside you can be starting with the basics. It's frustrating but rewarding as it comes. 

I just want Finn trained right

How much time do you spend with him every day outside playing? 10-15 minutes a day is what it takes. If I can do it anyone can do it. Ask questions along the way but you can train him right. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Moose in the end the decision has to be yours. Only you can decide weather you want Finn professionally trained or you want to do it yourself. I'm sure you are nervous but if you dedicate yourself to it I'm sure you will do just fine. It does take a lot of time and patience for sure but the way I look at it it's a lot like raising kids.  Ive raised two beautifull girls yes they have made a few mistakes along the way, but by proper guidance and structure I'm happy to say they turned out pretty good and I'm dang proud of that :)

Finn loves bathes and I am now working with him not jump on people. A co worker husband may help train Finn

image.jpeg

I get what you are saying about training you dig yourself, but I tried that 20 years ago and I know my golden could have been better. I am talking with a co worker who said her husband use to train labs for people. This way he could help me

Finn tipped the scale at 48.2 pounds. He has all his shots and growing fast. Working on stopping the jumping up on people. Finn does not jump on me but most every one else he does.

• Thumbs Up 1

A knee to the chest works just as well, Maybe Rick could chime in as he trains dogs. He would probably know best.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Weathertite said:

A knee to the chest works just as well, Maybe Rick could chime in as he trains dogs. He would probably know best.

Been doing that

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know some people don't like using treats but with Tango I started early on having him sit and then give him a treat, Then I would walk a couple feet and have him sit and give a treat. After a little bit of that I would stop giving him the sit command and he would do it on his own and I would give home a treat whenever he sat on his own. When he did start to jump up later I would ignore him and eventually tell him to sit and give a treat. I then stopped that and would just ignore him and he would sit himself and I would give him a treat. Now he just get praised and no treats though.

Whenever he gets a toy or a bone he has to be sitting or in the down position as well or when I come home before I pet him and say hi he must sit or go down.

I believe this helped in not having him jump up as he has learned that he will only get attention when he his sitting or down.

If Moose is not doing it to you but to other people, I think the big thing is when you come up with a plan you are going to have to make sure the people he does it to are going to follow the plan.

I would like to hear other ways how how people deal with this as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

another trick you can do to get them to stop jumping is when they do, grab and pinch hard where the dew claws are removed. its a pretty tender area and the dog should learn quickly that if and when they do jump that pinch is going to follow.  be consistent and make sure anytime the dog jumps on someone else they quickly do the same action

• Thumbs Up 1

Well Finn is making progress on jumping, but when people come over he gets so excited and forgets. It is time to work with Finn using a check cord on retrieves. My wife thought it was fun to teach Finn tug a war now he does not want to drop anything. 

What's is he at on the scale now? Once you start working with him he should learn that if he gives it to you he gets to retrieve it afterword! Are you planing to force fetch?

Yes I am

• 2 weeks later...

Finn hit 60 pounds 

• Thumbs Up 1

shoulda named him Beast ;) 

10 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

shoulda named him Beast ;) 

I know or monstermooe Jr. But he is a big mellow pup. 

• Thumbs Up 1

He will retrieve. We are still working on it. How is it without tango? I bet it is hard

We just weighed Duncan today, 63 pounds of Chocolate Lab. Finn should have him passed after supper tonight !

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Bobby Bass said:

We just weighed Duncan today, 63 pounds of Chocolate Lab. Finn should have him passed after supper tonight !

For sure by the end of the week. He is a gentle giant like me. I can't wait to see Finn bringing back ducks. Finn does like to go for car rides or truck rides.