• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)

Does anyone have a report on Lake Charlie? Lookin for some panfish or mixed bag today, any info would help, thanks!

Does anyone have a report on Lake Charlie? Lookin for some panfish or mixed bag today, any info would help, thanks!

Lake Charlie is kicking out some nice gills and crappies. Sunfish are about 1/2lb and crappies are up to 10.5 inches.

Lake Charlie is kicking out some nice gills and crappies. Sunfish are about 1/2lb and crappies are up to 10.5 inches.

where on charlie is this? im teaching my buddy how to fish and im looking for some consistant panfish action to get him in on. if you could send me an email, [email protected]

There is nice fish coming out of Charlie! I would start drilling holes and then look for fish.

Sniffer

was on charlie for a bit today. was fishing a nice drop off near current. fell through while testing the depths of the holes with the vex. (just up to my waste) ended up fishing one hole while i warmed up and took things back to my car (took something back, back to the house, warmed up and fished, and repeat.) caught a couple small walleyes <10" and a couple perch and a nice little 4lb pike.

going back out on friday, but im staying away from there wink

The panfish bite in the Alexandria area has been very good the past 3 weeks. The bite will continue ice out so you sure plan on getting out and fish. The most recent outing, a few good friends and I were fishing crappies, which was awesome. The warmer weather pushed melted snow down the holes and got them going.

The key thing to look for now is shallow flats that have weeds or next to a deep basin. The fish will be aggressive, so you might want to up size your presentation like a lindy jiggin spoon, or a northern minnow fry. Work them up that water column and watch what happens. This has to be the best time to ice fish during late February and March. The other thing to keep I mind is to drill as many holes in the areas that are holding fish. They will move, so jump around from hole to hole for the best success.

The depth that has been most successful is in the 7-14FOW and the bite has been mainly during the day. The daylight is longer so we are able to stay out a little longer to fish. Boy, you can almost smell spring in the air. Be safe and I will see you on the ice.

full-36104-6203-010.jpg

Sniffer

• 2 weeks later...

Planning on making a trip up to Lake Irene in the next week or so. Just wondering what the panfish bite has been like. Any areas of the lake producing better than others? Never ice fished the lake before, but used to spend a week up their each summer when i was a kid fishing out of the resort. A lot of fond memories of that lake fishing with dad, brothers, cousins, and grandpa. Any info you got would be great. Thanks

Nothing's happening out there right now. I fish it a couple times a month in winter, just to check it out.

The bite may or may not pick up. I'd choose a different lake for now, at least until late ice.

A lot of the bluegills in the lake are pushing 3/4lb and that's why I fish it. The lake produces big fish, and you never know when they might turn on

kt, I fish the area pretty good but that is one lake that I have not fished. I have heard that the sunfish were bitting, but where..........do not know. Good luck and I am sure someone will help.

Sniffer

Chad, it's a dead sea at the moment.

I just worked the east shore, north shore, and west shore, drilling 10-20 holes in each area, and didn't catch any keeper gills. I did manage some nice eater perch.

I'll chime in in the next couple weeks and let you guys know if anything is happening.

Lake Irene absolutely fascinates me, because it's easy to read, offers great bluegill, bass, and walleye fishing, and because of the incredible size of the gills.

Good luck if you go out, and let me know how it goes. A good spot is on the North shore next to the dock that "hangs" over the ice.

Chad, it's a dead sea at the moment.

I just worked the east shore, north shore, and west shore, drilling 10-20 holes in each area, and didn't catch any keeper gills. I did manage some nice eater perch.

I'll chime in in the next couple weeks and let you guys know if anything is happening.

Lake Irene absolutely fascinates me, because it's easy to read, offers great bluegill, bass, and walleye fishing, and because of the incredible size of the gills.

Good luck if you go out, and let me know how it goes. A good spot is on the North shore next to the dock that "hangs" over the ice.

Thanks Steak, guy's that talk to me about Irene tell me nice sunfish and last week a guy told me they were getting some. Like I said, never fished it. I will have to get out there and see for myself. LOL

Sniffer

PS-Welcome to the site.

The crappies and sunfish bite has been very good the last two weeks. It will continue until ice out and if you get a chance, get out! The fish are in the shallows where the melting snow is happening, and that is where you should start to look.

I was out on Friday afternoon, and I was fishing in 10-14FOW. It was exciting to see fish attack the presentation and in every hole I fished; there was fish.

This week looks to be very good as the weather is changing in a warming trend, and I can not wait. The one thing to remember is to watch out for weak spots in the ice, and would recommend bring a ice pick.

Here is a few that I caught on Friday.

full-36104-6773-003.jpg

full-36104-6774-008.jpg

full-36104-6775-014.jpg

Sniffer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Went out fishing with sniffer, Doug and Andy on the last day of sniffers vacation. These guys were a blast. Here's a report from sniffer he made duing his vacation:

After the blizzard with 40mph winds and the snow blown, I did not think the fishing would be good. But, I was surprized with the results.

Started around 9:30am and I was fishing a lake I fished before and had very good luck on the crappies. Started by drilling about 40 holes in areas that ran shallow to a deeper part of the lake. It was pretty quick just drilling in holes that lightly froze over, but had to drill several new holes. Moving around was the key to success and starting on those crappies.

A round 1:00pm Joe came out to join up with me to get on some of the nice crappies. I briefed Joe on what was going on and where I was getting them. It was not long and Joe was on the board with a nice 11"er.

full-36104-6790-130.jpg

For the next couple hours we were going back and forth catch'n crappies. For the most of the day, the crappies were biting in the 11-15FOW range and again, always moving around to stay on them. Our presentation was a genz bug, Northern bro's bug and ratso's. If it was green today, we caught fish. The fish were at time stubborn, but if you jigged it and lifted up slowly they would bite. Other times they would just race up and attack it which sometimes it would catch ya off guard.

full-36104-6791-120.jpg

At the end of the day, we caught 75+ crappies and they all ranged between 9.5" to 12" Joe kept a limit and I kept 6 for dinner. The rest were released for another day. It is going to be a awesome week with temps in the 40's and I am on vacation. I hit it right for fishing. I can not wait to get back out there and explorer other lakes that I have not fished this year.

Until next time, be safe and I will see you on the ice.

full-36104-6795-131.jpg

full-36104-6794-116.jpg

Sniffer

We were out today and there were snowmobiles and 4-wheels moving around. Ice is still good but the snow has anglers up in arms. It just seemed bare on the lakes today.

Sniffer

We're visiting the grandparents this weekend on the chain, anyone have any ideas on where I could entertain the kids with some consistent panfish action during the day? An easy walk is preferred with the young ones. We'll be on the east side of Darling.

I fished Lobster (home lake) yesterday in the late afternoon. Still 14-16 inches of ice. Was really slow only 3 gills, small ones at that. I'm thinking we will be losing ice rapidly this week.

Wayne is right, we are going to lose alot of ice this week. Was on a few lakes this weekend and it will not be long. The panfish have been really good, and if you find green weeds you will find active fish. Most of the panfish have been moving into the shallows and have had great success. My son Alec had a blast yesterday catching sunfish and crappies.

Sniffer

looking to head out fishing for the first time since i was fishing openwater on agnes, first time firing up the auger since i fished charlie in late february. anyone have any tips?

anyone have any tips?

I have one. Be real careful if you go out. Dropped through this afternoon. Fortunately where I was it was only about knee deep water. IMHO the water is still too cold for anything to start spawning. I'm done for the season.

Retired obviosly you were near shore... What about the rest of the lake?? still 2' ??? i appreciate your help as i live 2 hours away and would love one more trip before its over!

thanks

Ya, I was trying to access the main ice. Thought I had made it but I was wrong. Got past the 10 feet of open water along the shore onto the ice but it wasn't the best ice. Almost felt like walking on a bog where the ice just sort of sagged as you stepped. Sort of anticipated going in. I think once you can get past the soft stuff you will be OK. Of course no ice is 100% safe. There are two guys out there right now with a four wheeler and a portable. Didn't see where they got on at, maybe at Battle Point or Lakeshore Resort if his is still good. I think you'll have to pay to get on there. They are fishing the area between Battle Point and Buck Point. Moving around a lot so I'm guessing they haven't found anything yet. I know it has been super slow for me the last week or so. There was still 18-20 inches out there when I was out Saturday. If your going out you better do it soon. I think the rain Friday through Sunday will end any chance of getting on. That's all I have for you. Good luck if you go.

Update: Just saw them go off at the Battle Point access so it must still be OK.

ya i tried getting out on geneva that day, to no avail. thankfully i brought the long rods just in case, so i fished current for carp and sucker. my ice fishing stuff is packed away, and i already sold my portable. off to college this summer in brainerd. and will probably have no where to store it, so i just let her go.

Just to let you guys know that fish are startingto run. We have a consistant flow of northerns by my house, saw a couple pike in the creek by next to hobo park in star buck. A bunch of em going in and out of the caulvert on the north end of pocket. A couple near the carp trap on maple. And a few on areas of le homme dieu. Carp are goimg through the geneva / le hommedieu boat tunnel like crazy. Kinda cool to watch. Pics to come of the creek by my place

• The title was changed to 2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)
  • The topic was pinned
  • This topic was featured and unfeatured