• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)

Any info on mary / little mary as far as accessibility??

thanks for the info crappiesniffer!

It is bad! No plowed roads yet.

Sniffer

ish. well we will give it a go. staying in town saturday night and going to try and get two solid days of fishing in!

THANKS for the info!

saw one of the worst things ever the other day. a kid was out fishing with his mom and dad, his mom stayed in a truck reading, and the son caught a BEAUTIFUL walleye probably around 24", and was running to show his mom, and his leg went down a hole, and ya... i think u guys can figure it out.

ya.. ouch.

but i couldnt believe, even after we got his leg out of the hole, and braced, he was still hyped up on that fish. almost like he didnt notice his leg was broken.

quite an interesting day.... i offered to let them use the house with me if they want, so hopefully he will be able to fish even with the leg.

Ooouch. Hope the little man is alright. I can just se it happening as you described it. Be care out there!

Sniffer

Well guys and gals its been awhile since I gave a report and thought I should give one! The alexandria area has had some good fishing as of the past few weeks. Like many of you know crappies have been biting pretty well. Sunfish have been really hit or miss but when you get into them you get into them good. Walleyes and northerns have been hitting well but seem to be lacking size. With many good eaters but no giants that we have found.

For the crappies as crappiesniffer has report are coming in the 13 to 16 foot range but the other place that I have heard about looking for crappies is over the holes... look in the 20 to 30 foot holes but only about 10 to 15 feet down. Use the vexilars to help. The best bait during the day seems to be wax worms or euro larve on moon glows or rat finks. Color seems to really vary everyday but overall chart or pinks seem to be working well.

The Sunfish I have heard reports to look in the 8 to 12 foot range and that seems to be where we are catching some fish too. Look for green weeds on the edge of holes. It seems that if you can find nice think green weeds you find fish and pluck a few out and then keep moving to the next green patch.

As for the walleyes thats what we have been mainly chasing and we have had some success... we are catching good numbers but they are on the small side like I said earlier... if you keep picking through and moving around you will find nicer fish mixed in. The best depthss have been the 22 ro 28 foot range on steep breaks. I have found that during the winter most the fish we find are our steep breaks. The best bait for walleyes and northerns has been by far the Strike Pro Fat bat. We have been using the brown perch and or perch because it seems to match the forage. With the other rods we have been using small sucker minnows or large fat heads under a bobber with a plain rig. but like I said and you will seen in the photos most fish have been caught on the fat Bats. We have been missing alot of fish and alot of them are just nipping at the bait and you snag them under the lip or get a single hook in the mouth. When you do get one to jolt the rod it seems to be the better sized fish. Like others though the big pigs seem to be spaced out! I know I will keep looking to try and find them! Haha Dang Walleyes.

If anyone has questions or concerns about lakes or ices conditions feel free to call or email at any time.

Here are a few pictures:

P1080575.jpg

P1080582.jpg

P1060574.jpg

Nice going there guy's. Good read and the information is correct. Drake,I am now finding that you do have to go in deeper holes to find crappies. Thanks again!

Sniffer

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what lakes Agnes all has in it for fish. We r going to do the ice fishing challenge and was just wondering what the lake is known for

thanks in advance

The lake has a special regulation on bass so you'll have to release everything under 21" I believe. I've fished Henry which is connected to the north and it has some nice pike and walleyes.

Does anyone know what lakes Agnes all has in it for fish. We r going to do the ice fishing challenge and was just wondering what the lake is known for

thanks in advance

Never fished it either, but will be there for the challenge with my hubby a couple of friends and the stepsons. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and won't be like 2 yrs ago standing out there in a blizzard at -50...

Sniffer

I'm guessing a bass/panfish set up would work best or maybe a tipup for pike?

That would be the way I would setup. They also have alot of carp. Flashers will be worthless out there so GPS is a must.

Sniffer

They are getting panfish, but the travel is tough. Out today and could not get to some of the spot I wanted to get to.

Sniffer

The fishing report in the Alexandria area is that the panfish is great. Some lakes have really produces some nice crappies and sunfish. With the snow we have had, has made it tough to get around. I would suggest a snowmobile for some to get to spots that are to hard to get to. Other lakes have a great plowed road systems and made it easy to get to areas where the fishing is good.

Most panfish are being caught in the 6-9FOW to 15-25FOW. This time of the ice season, the fish are starting to move in where the weeds are for oxygen and with the snow thawing it will give those fish a shot of oxygen too. They will get more active and make fish fun.

The walleye bite is hit and miss, but there are walleyes getting caught. I am sure Drake can fill you in the bite. Good luck out there and be hope to you out on the ice.

Sniffer

Crappie Sniffer question for you. When you look for shallow pan fish what structure do you look for? I have a hard time finding crappies shallow. Is it all about the weeds? Or is running water a good sign? Thanks for your reply.

Chad,

You are right on with the sunfish and Crappies! We just keep popping holes until we find green weeds. Once we do its game on! Our best has bait have been rat finks with wax worms or euro's.

As for the walleyes guys. The fish have really been on the move as of late. I think its the time of year where they are starting to move to where they spawn. So where I would look for fish and where we have been catching them.... Spots outside of bays, out on the brake lines from creeks, or other rocks piles where you think the fish spawn. They will be on the break line of these spots. The walleyes should be on the steppest part of the break this time of the year. Our best bait has been two different presentations. If its really cold out the dead sticks have been the best if its warm out that day the best bait have been the strike pro fat bats or some sort of frosty spoons, with the jigs dont use a full minnow but the head of tail of the minnow.

Good luck to everyone heading out we still have a few weeks to chase the marble eyes! Let me know or email me with any specific questions about lakes and such!

I forgot to put some depths and and colors on the resport! Depths have ranged but either 12 to 15 feet or 22 to 24 feet of water. Colors have been pretty consistent with chart or orange with the dead sticks just a plain black or gold hook!

Crappie Sniffer question for you. When you look for shallow pan fish what structure do you look for? I have a hard time finding crappies shallow. Is it all about the weeds? Or is running water a good sign? Thanks for your reply.

When I look for shallow panfish, I look for green weeds beds mixed with mud bottoms. Also,You might want to think about the spawning grounds in the spring. They will be 6-10FOW and will hang out for food and oxygen when the snow starts to melt. Then watch out, they turn on!

Sniffer

I am also going to the fishing contest in Alexandria this weekend. I have NEVER been in a fishing contest before or have been on Lake Agnes. Just a girl with a couple rods lookin for some fish! Any pointers or what I can expect? Thanks!!!!

It is always packed and fun. I would research Agnes and get a map for structure. You will have a mixed bag of fish to catch and I would not bring a flasher. It will not work with as many anglers around you. Advice is find weeds and you will get fish. Good Luck this weekend.

Sniffer

It's a 2000-3000 person party on the ice and o yeah there is fishing involves sounds like a warm weekend always a goodtimr in Alex

I've never fished Agnes b4 but my set up will be trying to find some panfish

careful with bass there is a slot on them

good luck and have fun

Thanks guys! I'm excited! It should be good weather too which is a plus! Besides the DNR site, are there are sites that have Lake Agnes information?

Heading out in a few hours to help drill all the holes for the contest, have every year. We will have 2 houses out on the lake and spend the night so we are ready bright and early, unless we have to much fun tonight.... see ya all out there!!

• The title was changed to 2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)
  • The topic was pinned
  • This topic was featured and unfeatured