• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)

nice sauk walleye Jake.. it looks like you were fishing light when that fish hit!

i was using my dads old gander mountain ultralight. 4lb test. very fun. i was pulling line off the spool myself cuz i was worried that it would break the line. lol

it hit a 1/32oz jig i tied. it looks just like the cabela's assent jigs, but i wrapped red crystal chennile around the neck. you can see it in the carps mouth here.

101_1133.jpg

in total i got 11 species with that jig today.

walleye

channel catfish

pike (small hammer handle, no pic)

brown Bullhead

yellow bullhead

black bullhead

pumpkinseed sunfish

bluegill

black crappie

carp

silver redhorse

more sauk walleyes

my first walleye ever on the fly

101_1153.jpg

dads beauty

101_1148.jpg

and my new PB (sorry everyone, we are returning to the spot again soon, and that picture showed to much background, so i had to swirl it, gotta keep the spot a secret. lol)

101_1152-1.jpg

Well guys the fishing has been great around the area. With the cool temperatures all summer the fishing has remained good, all year exspecially for walleyes. Most of the fish are being caught on crawlers with some coming from jigs and minnows. Look for depths between 18 and 22 feet of water. As for the crappies they are still in teh cabbage use a flu flu tipped with a minnow to get the best action. I attached a photo of the big fish of the week. There were 4 trips all week and all 4 had a fish or more over 25 inchs. This fish being 28 and 1/2 inches long. I will post more pictures when my partner emails them to me. With that teh fishing should only get better as we get later and later into the summer! Good luck. Let me know if anyone has any questions or concerns.TJs20fish202009.jpg

Took my Dad out for a few hours yesterday afternoon. Still found TONS of crappies in any cabbage bed you could find (N end of lake working best as usual)anywhere from 4-14fow. Jiggin tube jigs tipped with a gulp maggot. Color really didn't seem to make any bit of a difference. Average size in the 9-10" area, did pull in four over 13. (sorry he forgot his camera so no pix)

Dan.

hey doc--would you mind giving up the lake name--I'm trying to take my 2 kiddies campoing up that way on thurs>?

thanks

can anyone recommend a nice kid friendly tent campground around the alex area??

thanks

Aaron

You can try Oak Park on CR #8, they should be in the boot. Have a pool to boot.

Sorry firefish... I guess i missed that part... We were on both LeHomme Dieu and Geneva and I'm sure the same is going for the ones on the north arch of Victoria as well.

nice crappies drRodey

went back to the sauk. the water was higher than before due to rain. the walleyes (as well as everything else) were keying in on crawlers

we only got a few walleyes, all were small. we are gonna go back tomorrow

Jake Buddy,

Your pants are falling down!!!

haha i know, they were heavy with water from wading, and i had to take off my belt so it wouldnt get wrecked. lol

Great report Drake. You took the words out of my mouth grin Not only has the cool water kept the fish active it's also been great for releasing these big fish. The fish stay very healthy and swim off nice and strong!

Here's a fat 29 1/4" walleye from Saturday! Looks like they're eating good!

P1140347-2.jpg

any of you guys ever make it over to Big birch? heading up to the albany area this week end would like to grab a few eyes in the morning and a limit of good northern in the mid day.

It sounds like you guys have them dialed in on Sauk? Have never fished that one is there a good landing someplace? what are some good starting strats for sauk?

It sounds like you guys have them dialed in on Sauk? Have never fished that one is there a good landing someplace? what are some good starting strats for sauk?

send me an email, [email protected]

ill give you the location i was getting them at.

oon friday me and my friend, travis. went out muskie fishing. we were on the lake right at sunrise and we threw showgirls, giant marabou spinners, big spinnerbaits, and cranks. we couldnt get any muskies to follow. then we found a strech of shallow water full of pads and pencil between shore and an islland. so we patrolled through it. right away travis seen a muskie. but it was to late and we were to close and the muskie shoot right past our boat. we turned around and started throwing everything. after a while we found her sitting along the pencil reeds. we pitched twitchbaits and jigs at her to no awail. then we decided to head back to shore and go pick up some suckers. we were back on the lake within an hour. we headed all the way back across the lake to our spot. we tied on some big hooks and put the sucker minnows on. we patrolled the area, and within 5 minutes the muskie showed herself and darted underneath the boat. we continued to patrol the area and look for her, then we found a different muskie sitting right in the lily pads.travis flipped his sucker to her like crazy. then she spooked. we were just pulling back when i saw a beast! sitting no further than 10 feet of where the other one was. i pitched my jig to her and was hit immediatly, i set the hook only to have it pulled out of her mouth. she slowly moved forward and stopped almost right under the boat! we could clearly see she was over 48" possible pushing 50". then she just darted off. both me and travis were shaking so bad you could feel the boatshaking. we continued fishing, but we never seen another 'ski. we didnt catch a muskie that day... but the sight of those muskies will last a lifetime

For the fishing report this week the fishing has now moved to an allday event. With the temperatures falling it seems that the fish are starting to move and act like its fall. If you can get out this weekend it would be a great time to get out. Walleyes have been biting anywhere from 12 feet out to 24 feet of water depending on the time of day. People are getting them both on jigs and minnows and also lindy rigs with crawlers and leeches. Crappies are still in the cabbage with the chain being a great place to start. I also got a few photos from these past week to share with everyone.

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1763.jpgIMG_1768.jpg

These are just a few of the pictures from this past week, if you get a chance to get out the fishing should even get better. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to email me at anytime.

hi guys, fellow fm'er from owatonna area. will be spending a week in alex starting sat through next fri. looking for some tips/suggestions. we are staying at eden acres1 on mary. how has fishing been there. willing to trailer the boat also. would love to get on some walleye's. never caught more then two eyes in a year. so i have a open seat if anyone cares to trade tips for gas. not sure what guide rates are. would like to use fellow fm'er knowledge. (no offense hh, you've been putting people on some nice ones) just not alot of extra cash. so any advice??? Ryan or e-mail at [email protected]

Staying at Lake Carlos State Park this weekend. Any suggestions on where to start and presentations that are working for walleye? I'll be fishing with a couple of old college buddies and their young kids so the pressure is on to produce.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Send an email to [email protected] if you don't want to post details here.

Thanks Much!

went out with DrRodey, and his kids. and we ended up doing a little sight fishing for bowfin. i hooked up with 3. landed 2. got a video of the one i lost. drRodey hooked up with one, and lost it.

101_1231.jpg

101_1235.jpg

101_1240.jpg

101_1239.jpg

we also stumbled into alot of sunfish, some were verynice. and also some crappies.

some other pictures from today:

101_1246-1.jpg

101_1248-1.jpg

101_1242-1-1.jpg

101_1247.jpg

very fun day! i really enjoyed fishing with DrRodey and his kids.

We did ok... Nothing too special to report. Mostly drifted the cabbage bed along the north end of LHD between 8-14', Ended up with about 8 decent crappies, when we could keep the sunnies off our hooks long enough. and two snakey northerns. The kids had a blast, which was the goal of the day.

We'll have to hit the water again here in a coule weeks. I've got a 5 day weekend coming up in mid Sept. I'll keep ya posted.

Still hve some Crawlers and leeches left so i'll probably spend most of the day tomorrow either off my dock or I may get frisky and take the boat out.

me and DrRodey did well with the crappies again today. it seems like with the cold weather the crappies are kind of in their fall mode. we were finding them in fall feeding areas, we were fishing in 3 FOW. they were falling for tubes, and light tube jigs. just cast and let it sink SLOWLY. jiggling, and reeling it REAL slow on the retrieve caught some, but most were caught on the fall. average size was about 10".

we did not take any picture where we were catching them, so dont expect to find them where these pictures are taken =P

101_1289.jpg

101_1286.jpg

fish of the day: 12 1/4"

101_1288.jpg

fished in Minnesota all my life... never seen a bowfin where were you? do you eat those?

we were on le homme dieu. i catch bowfin all the time around here. the key is targetting areas that bowfin like, thick weeds, cattail edges, shallow weedlines, in and around pencil reeds. backwater areas tend to be warmer and thus hold more bowfin. since bowfin can breath straight from the air. dont be afraid to fish the choked out areas of a lake. and and no i dont. i dont eat fish.

• The title was changed to 2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)
  • The topic was pinned
  • This topic was featured and unfeatured