• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)

drrodey, his son, and i took a fishing trip to the sauk river yesterday, with 2 main goals, get drrodey his first walleye since he moved up here, and dive for some lures.

we accomplished both those goals

2nd walleye of the day, a beautiful female, released

walleye-1.jpg

nicewalleye.jpg

dans walleye!

danwalleye.jpg

the fish we kept

waleyes.jpg

one of the many snags we found wink

bike.jpg

bike2.jpg

we found a total of 81 crankbaits, 21 spoons, 5 spinnerbaits, and almost 2lbs of lead

lurepile.jpg

cranks.jpg

I still say it doesn't count since it wasn't in Douglas Co... and it was a river walleye, not a lake walleye. Still a fun day you hole hog!

Jeffrey is ready to go back though. It's getting tougher and tougher to get him to put his pole down. ...although I guess that isn't a bad thing necessarily.

Oh and they tasted sooooo good!

I still say it doesn't count since it wasn't in Douglas Co... and it was a river walleye, not a lake walleye. Still a fun day you hole hog!

Jeffrey is ready to go back though. It's getting tougher and tougher to get him to put his pole down. ...although I guess that isn't a bad thing necessarily.

Oh and they tasted sooooo good!

dont worry, ill get you into some soon.

well im ready whenever!

its not a bad thing at all! its always great to have a kid who loves to fish.

monday is suppose to be nice, and calm! maybe we can head back down then. i have to cash a paycheck, talk to the banker. after that im free all day/night. i dont work again until wednesday.

carpman jake, i prob seen u fishing on sauk river. i was fishin right abouve the dam (on the lake) right against the bouys before the dam. i had the white warrior boat and my buddy had the ranger with the big 225 hp. i seen some guys with a decent stringer of fish fri or sat.

carpman jake, i prob seen u fishing on sauk river. i was fishin right abouve the dam (on the lake) right against the bouys before the dam. i had the white warrior boat and my buddy had the ranger with the big 225 hp. i seen some guys with a decent stringer of fish fri or sat.

yep probably me. i remember seeing a boat right above the dam i never took a good look at it tho

got this brute of a sunfish today while fishing for bass with a squarelipped crankbait on LHD!

giantgill.jpg

Sure is dark. You fishing in the gulf near the leaky oil rig?

nope. le homme dieu. can tell its a REALLY old fish. didnt put up to much of a fight for it size.

I saw you guys there as well and was going to stop in and say Hi.

Your boat said Weekend Warrior right? Your buddy in the Ranger help me out a few yaers ago when we ran out of oil on the rock pile by the Rainbow lodge. Ever since that day my son checks for his boat and pickup in the camp ground.

Did you guys end up gettting any fish? That spot can be hugh after a heavy rain like we got Sat. night.

Sifty

Yup, it says "weekend warrior" on the back. we caught a few fish , nothing fast and furious tho

We are having a family vacation on Osakis next week. We fished it last year and had some good luck. I was just wondering how the fishing was this last weekend. I guess we would like to find some eyes for the guys and some pans for the kids and any help would be appericated.

Well, just got back. Fishing was not good frown The weather limited our time on the water greatly, and what little time we were out it was SLOW! Only 2 bass. And the crappies weren't really hitting with regularity off the dock either...although they were bigger than last year. On saturday a giant storm blew through, hard rain and hail, and heavy winds. Then it was calm for about 30 minutes and an even bigger wind storm blew through. Destroying everyone's tents! The only thing that stopped our tents from blowing away was the fact we were standing in them, and holding them up. Does anyone know what the official wind speed was for that storm? Had to be 50 mph for sure.

i was up at bigfoot resort this last weekend couple trees came down and all of us had to go to the owners houses basement as a funnel cloud was spotted rite behind the resort never touched down..and i heard the wind was 60mph top downward speed and i emptied almost 3 in of eater out of the rain gauge..u were lucky that no trees came down or a tornado being in tents only

We would've had safe access if there was a tornado. I had my boat beached at the lake and the back end completely filled up with water. I spent 30 minutes bailing water with a 5 gallon bucket! shocked

i have had good fishing, even with the weather. (ive been fishing every day)

got these on the sauk river the day the storms started. the walleyes were tougher to catch with the wind forcing more water over the dam. but i figured out where they were, and i started catching quite a few eater sized fish, but released them all

bass-2.jpg

bass2-1.jpg

the first decent and calm day all week

carp.jpg

my friend damians, first legal carp. (non snagged)

damiancarp.jpg

topwater fish from the same day.

bass-1.jpg

had a 5lb class fish blow up on the popper, but lost it right after the hookset.

the next day with the wind, i got several respectable bass out of a small creek,

basss.jpg

and a big rockie

rockie.jpg

then i lost another big fish, probably pushing 4lbs, in flooded grass. shouldnt have been fishing such light line...

Hey guys and gals,

Wanted to get a report up has been awhile! I have been busy fishing!

For walleyes the best bite has been during low light periods, both in the morning and evening. The best techinques have varied but leechs and night crawlers are your best bet. Some people are doing well pull cranks after dark. For the best depths its hard to tell best most the fish are coming on the weed edges either the deep edge or the shallow edge. So I would say anywhere from 17 to 22 feet or 5 to 7 feet on the shallow side.

For crappies look to the cabbage, they are really snapping right now! Take a bright colored twister tail or crappie minnow under a bobber. The best depths have been between 10 and 14 feet of water in the weeds.

Panfish are all over right now and are snapping. In the shallows use a leech or worm under a bobber on the deep weedlines or humps use a lindy rig to catch them.

Bass are also really snapping right now. I would look in two different places on a lake and go from there. First look on the deeper weed edges with a jig-n-pig or jig-worm and if their not there move into the slop! I mean the real thick stuff under trees, docks and pencil reeds. The fish will either be in one or the other or both!

Good luck to all those heading out! The fishing should be good this weekend! Let me know if you have questions about certain lakes or fish!

My family and I were fishing lakes in the Brandon area and did quite well. Walleyes, bass and sunnies were biting. We caught most of the fish except for the sunnies on 4" artificial minnow body on a jig. We pitched them toward the pencil reeds and bounce them back into the deeper water. The artificial was catching 4:1 over live bait for us.

hey guys,

coming up this weekend to do a week's worth of fishing on Smith Lake... just wondering what we're looking at. How the bite? What's working and what's not.

Thanks for your help!

I was in the area last week. Caught 40+ walleyes, had to sort through them but the biggest was 4lbs. Found them in 10-16fow on weed edges. Used lindy rigs and leeches. Also used a slip bobber and leech and caught them in 3fow next to pencil weeds. Pike were non-existent.

got this beauty yesterday. had to do a bit of a photoshoot. lmao

IMG_02571600x1200.jpg

IMG_02581600x1200.jpg

IMG_02561600x1200.jpg

IMG_02551600x1200.jpg

Dan Rodewald (DrRodey) and his first bowfin from last night!

IMG_02701600x1200.jpg

i hooked into 2 bowfin last night. the first one was a monster! but it tangled in the anchor rope, and we couldnt get the net under it with all its splashing around, and it pulled off! the other one just through the hook.. i was horsing them in quite a bit because i was using my heavy rod so that was probably the main reason. we were float fishing with cut bait.

but we wasted a whole bunch of time fishing for snappers before the bowfin bite.

i saw the first one and wanted to catch it, and his was the only one set up with a heavy bobber and a big hook. and it broke his rod... oops! blush

IMG_02591600x1200.jpg

IMG_02621600x1200.jpg

so after that dan wanted to catch his first snapper. and we were having them come up all around us, then dive back down. like they were trying to ambush us. lol. it wasnt working too well because they were leaving a huge trail of bubbles from the bottom.

number 2! feisty thing..

IMG_02641600x1200.jpg

IMG_02661600x1200.jpg

i also caught one while fishing for bowfin. (was actually the one dan was going for lol)

no picture because it was bleeding a bit from the hook wound

dan lost a monster bass easily 5-6lbs while fishing for bowfin, using cutbait under a bobber.

From the time that I was a baby till I was 18, my family visited Alexandria every summer to visit my Grandmother on IDA and then to her house in town when she got older. My folks bought a place on South Ida just north of Bedmans if anyone remembers where that was. My fondest memories and the reason why my passion, after my family, is fishing is because of Alexandria. I finally get to come back and bring my family. This time to Cowdry Lake. We rented a boat for the week and I would love to watch my wife, boy and girl catch their first walleye and or Northern. We are pretty skilled crappie fisherpeople and catfisherpeople from Missouri. I rarely get to eat Walleye and have never eaten Northern cause my dad wouldn't clean em. I have been following the Alexandria fishing forums all summer and it looks like there are a few people out there catching "eye"s. I'll fish every last inch of every one of the four lakes that we can access to. I was hoping there might be some experience strength and hope out there that can lead this fish to the other fish on the lakes that attach to Cowdry.

MollyP-The chain is blocked between Cowdry and Darling due to the prevention of spreading zebra mussels. It is also blocked between Geneva and Victoria. Hopefully you rented a boat on one of the middle four lakes (Darling, Carlos, Le Homme Dieu, Geneva). If not, you will have a week of learning Cowdry!

You can get all the way to Brophy from Cowdery and there is some good fishing to be had on the small chain.

Are there any particular areas that we could find walleyes, crappies, sunnys, northern on the small chain?

Are there any particular areas that we could find walleyes, crappies, sunnys, northern on the small chain?

find the deep weedlines, and you will catch crappies, sunnies, bass, pike, maybe even a few walleyes. i suggest you set out a heavy rod with a shiner under a bobber, set 5 feet off the bottom. and help out the wife and kids while they fish, instead of trying to fish at the same time.

i know cowdry has some NICE pike. and a pretty good population, so it should be quite consistant fishing for pike if you do that

Thank you for the information. I don't have a depth finder but may buy one for this trip. At least I'll have something to build the boat around. Is there a website I can get the depths of the lake or a map I can get when we arrive. The google map sattelite pictures show some structures. My dad back in the early seventys use to tell me to line myself up with this house on one shore and this tree on that shore. any particular side of the lakes, I'm pretty good with locations if you tell me the yellow house with the slide on the dock or some kinda location on the little chain.

• The title was changed to 2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)
  • The topic was pinned
  • This topic was featured and unfeatured