• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• certified jumbo

• Jarrid Houston

• Ross Pearson

• live4chrome

I know that people fish McQuades and have success some of the time. Does anybody know if any of the other safe harbors (Knife River, Two Harbors, etc.) have fishable ice and if so does anybody have any luck fishing them? I'm thinking of heading up to fish either at 21st or Brighton Beach area if possible but would like to have a back up if these aren't doable.

svingla,

Last I checked Two Harbors and Knife were froze. I have not had much luck in those harbors but maybe I just hit them on the wrong day. Loopers are released in McQuade and they seem to be imprinted to return there. For what it is worth, I have heard looper fishing (both ice and open water) has been slow this winter but I have not targeted them.

Looking at the weather you should have no problem getting out from Brighton or 21st assuming you are coming up in the near future.

Thanks for the info FowlSki. The weather does look pretty good, I'm more concerned about the parking. Last year was a zoo.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Heard there's a ton of people out this morning. Any reports??

What? I didn't go up because all the reports were the ice went out!! frown

Leech lots of people out from the Lester,,,, drove by there today and some guys are going out close to a mile off shore and about the same out from 21st ave

Lots of people but few fish caught, at least where I was fishing (40fow off Brighton).Did have a large school of herring go through but they weren't cooperating. Open water just north of the park.

Marked a few, had some chasers. Saw some guys catch one. 75 fow. We came out of 21st.

There was a good 10 inches everywhere we drilled but there was a crack with open water we had to hop. It was a way out.

Lots of people out.

Fished Brighton fri, sat, today. Got skunked Friday, got one laker sat missed a few, got 4 today missed lots laker fishing out deep . I don't know how long this ice will stay. Today was great

How deep? Best baits? I'm heading out tomorrow morning for my first time. I hope the ice is still good?

I fell in twice off lester day. Lucky to be alive. Thank god I had on my striker suit. Don't cross that pressure ridge by lester!

Yikes, Glad you are safe! I fished it Saturday and it was a little sketchy, and caught nothing anyway. Also glad to hear the striker suit works, just got mine but hope to never test it out!

Glad to hear your safe and sound. How far out is that ridge? Hearing about all this ice fishing going on at the big lake makes me jealous...I'll be up there in 2 weeks, but there might not even be any ice on the lake by then frown Is everyone chasing lakers farther out, or are there some people closer to shore targeting cohos/loopers? Staying shallow might be much more suitable for my comfort level.

Only way to fall in a crack on lk superior is to not pay attention where your putting your feet. You should always walk with a spud bar in your hand checking the ice. Bring a boat

I fell in twice off lester day. Lucky to be alive. Thank god I had on my striker suit. Don't cross that pressure ridge by lester!

Steve, good to hear you are ok.

Only way to fall in a crack on lk superior is to not pay attention where your putting your feet. You should always walk with a spud bar in your hand checking the ice. Bring a boat

I had to cross some place man. Should I have stayed out there all day? I tried to cross at what I thought was the safest spot. Spud bar wouldn't of helped in this situation. Thanks for the support. Lol.

It was sketchy when I wa outré lstfriday ay afternoon as well. Where I walked off from was open refrozen open refroze... Coming back it was very open and I had to get a little wet getting back on shore. You could here the ice shifting shaving against the shoreline. Lake supeior is very Eeerie to say the least. Glad you made it safely Steve man!

I tried out from 21st ave yesterday from 8:30 till noon. a few lookers, no takers. I walked out as far as I felt comfortable going. Made it to 80 FOW. I talked to 3 other groups of guys and they didn't have any luck either. without question that is the most messed up ice i have ever been on!

Glad to hear your alright Steve! Northlander is a veteran Lake Superior fisherman. If it happened to him it could happen to anyone. BC

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Glad to hear your alright Steve! Northlander is a veteran Lake Superior fisherman. If it happened to him it could happen to anyone. BC

That guy will do anything to get a word in for Striker Suits! grin

Wonder if the ice will hold up the next couple of days with the 30-40 mph nw winds. It would be nice to get another weekend out of it.

I might give it a shot tomorrow Wednesday afternoon after work. I went off 21st with with a buddie Sunday morning, no luck. We were at about 75-80. I'd like to try a little deeper. I was thinking of trying Brighten beach. Anyone interested? I hate going alone, esp. this time of the year. Let me know. Any good report of whats working? Thanks! I may drive by tonight after work and give a ice report if I have time!

The Coast Guard started breaking ice today and will continue with ice breaking over the next couple of weeks.