• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• certified jumbo

• Jarrid Houston

• Ross Pearson

• live4chrome

Went out from 21st with a buddy last Sunday targeting trout. We caught 3 and lost 3 eek Had a couple follows too. No real size though, largest was about 30". If the ice holds up we will be out again this weekend.

Wonder if the ice will hold up the next couple of days with the 30-40 mph nw winds. It would be nice to get another weekend out of it.

I wouldn't step foot on that ice unless I was dragging a canoe with me.

The operative word here is "dragging". Even a canoe, in 40mhp winds and broken ice provides little margin for safety. If you go through, and are lucky enough to get into your canoe, you'll still likely end up somewhere around Copper Harbor MI, after the wind "drags" you across the lake.

I drove by Brighten Beach/Lester River at lunch today. Lots of people out ~ 40+ shacks. Heard its been spotty but some people have been catching a couple on white tubes. I was out last Sunday with no luck. I am going to give it a try tomorrow afternoon off of Brighten if anyone is interested? Anyone hear how thick the ice is? Guess I'll find out tomorrow. How deep has everyone been at that's catching lake trout?

Last time out I caught my fish in between 75 and 95' of water. White tube with a smelt tail did all the damage but I did have 1 hit on a pink n white buck tail with a smelt steak on it.

I use at least a 1 oz tube jig with a 3" or bigger tube. More current = more weight. I also caught 1 on a blue/green speckled tube.

There were about 30 shacks out off 21st at noonish today. Not sure about Brighton, couldnt see that far up the shore.

Thanks for the update. I'm trying to break a back to back to back to back skunk streak spread over 2 years out there. lol

I was thinking about going up Sunday for my 1st time. Will you let me know ice conditions when you get back please?

Left Brighton this morning at 10, it sounded like a slow morning for most. There was some serious ice movement by shore. Be careful out there.

Today was a bust. Previous days were really good though.

Left at 11:30. Ice had heaved to about 4 foot high. Only about two spots guys could get fish houses off. Water on top by heaves. Its about over........

I have been picking of a lot of TRASH every time I have been out there. Everything from plastic bags, ice scoops, even 5-gallon buckets, metal coffee cans left out on the ice and empty beer cases.

COME ON PEOPLE, don't be a jerk - PICK UP YOUR GARBAGE!!!

Good reminders to all Big Kype. On that same note.....I left my fish house hitch at Brighton yesterday, black 'y' shaped that is used to pull a flip over style fishhouse behind a machine.

If anyone has it, found it, and would like to return it, I will gladly compensate you for your efforts and gas.Thanks!

Was out there this am. What a zoo! People setting up on top of each other etc. there is way too much noise it seems like the fish have moved and all the ones we marked were moving fast.

How was accessing the lake today?

Lots of ice movement, cracks by shore, any open cracks?

Hoping to make it down Tuesday morning.

I know conditions change day by day, but just trying to get an idea.

Thanks!!

Brian

The cutter is supposed to start cutting tomorow, so who knows. You really can't predict the ice on that lake.the heave was much sketchier today than it was Friday.

The heave wasn't too bad where I crossed and didn't appear to move much today, but that can vary in a short distance. I am still shocked by the number of people (fisherman and sight seers) that cross and/or "hang out" by that heave without a spud. Please be careful people, especially when you bring kids out there!!

On the other note...herring party cool

There is no place for little kids out there on that ice. I see that as irresponsible and reckless endangerment of a child's life.

The warm afternoon sun did a number on that heave. New cracks have opened up on both sides of the heave and all of that ice is sinking down into the heave so pretty soon that gap will be 10 or 20 feet wide with slanted ice sheets on both sides funneling everything down into the crack and lots of standing water on both sides. With this weeks forecast, I don't think it will be worth the risk after another warm day or two like today. Combine that with ice breaking efforts and 20mph west winds the next couple of days - my guess is someone is going to be rescued this week because no doubt someone will be out there right until the last of it.

And PLEASE pick up your GARBAGE and be more careful about light-weight items when it's windy out. I bet I saw 20 plastic grocery bags blowing across the ice today along with other bits and pieces of trash. One of my biggest peeves are the piles of cigarette butts. That's just plain disgusting.

Yep Andrew is right on with the zoo comment and little respect for other fishermen. We were witnessing examples of that. Yesterday we had 2 guys drill holes to close to us fish em for about 5-10 minutes move a short distance still too close to us, drill fish, repeat, repeat and repeat..frustrating... Man o man. I guess we must look like we know what were doing (?) sheeesh...

Spread out, well the days a limited out there so,,, but for all other kinds of fishing spread out, don't know how you guys can handle the spring river season...

I agree its a zoo. With that said, most kept a reasonable distance away from us (i'd say 25-40 yards) was the closest. Some came over, chatted and seemed respectful. If you don't like crowds, people, limited parking and the sound of augers running. This is not your place to be.

Overall, a good experience for us.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE GUYS! More reports ofd people falling in by the pressure ridges. This warm temp and bad wind direction wont help at all. Open waters getting closer every day too.

I can never remember people stacking on top of each other like that in previous years. Its incredible what social media does to a bite. Drove past to do some shore casting and play with my new spey rod today, The cutter has made it from the superior entry to open water. Looks like the fat lady is about to sing.

Of course marine general is sending people out there.But would think that the up to date fishing reports on no less than a half a dozen fishing websites, newspaper articles, Facebook, outdoor news, the radio and the Tv show gets more attention to the lake than a local baitshop. The local hotels are enjoying the boost to the usually slow winter economy and the harbor walleyes are enjoying the break they have been getting. Nothing wrong with the added pressure so long as it is respectful.

On a side note I have been hearing people talk about catch and releasing cohos and saw it on the tv episode. Once you have your coho limit it is bad practice to continue targeting cohos. They have a catch and release mortality rate up into the 90th percentile. Almost guaranteed a released coho is a dead coho.