• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• certified jumbo

• Jarrid Houston

• Northlander

• Ross Pearson

Obviously the conditions on lake supirior need to be respected. But that doesn't mean you need to sit on the sidelines scared wail everyone else has fun. Its dangerous to drive to the lake during a snowstorm too, there's probably a higher risk of dieing in a car accident there than drowning in superior, but that doesn't keep most guys off the ice. Today with the internet we have so many tools available to see what weather conditions are throughout the lake. If it's calm in duluth that doesn't guarentee it's calm on every part of the lake. Look at surface maps and if there is a SE wind at 5 mph and were sitting in the middle of a high pressure system with 90% ice cover on the lake, and im sitting on 8 inches of ice that extends 5 miles from where im fishing, i would say its relatively safe. you can sit on the shore scared and hurling insults at people who venture out there all you want, but when the conditions are right you'll see me and old jimbo out there doing what we do best.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/

-this is a helpful site, but needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

...the guys who were out last saturday morning were total morons sitting out there in 25 mph NW winds, i definately dont condone that. Just like any lake the ice is never completly safe so ALWAYS check the conditions before you venture out on the ice.

Just got back, a decent crack opened up today preventing access to the deeper trout water. Didn't even mark a fish.

Duluth area North Shore rivers are locked in with ice and the mouths are blocked by lake ice as well. There probably won't be any open water river mouth fishing for quite awhile.

Ross Pearson - Kamloops Advocates

Fished superior Monday anywhere from 4 -8 inches marked fish but not sure why no hits. Also had something weird happen was out in 80 fow and vex lit up from 60 to 20 ft below the ice it was towards night so couldn't see to well anyone know what that could've been. Was my first time out trout fishing so not to knowledgeable about it. maybe smelt? Also anyone know of a bait store in the duluth area up here for work and plan on going again I was just using plastics and waxies when I went

marine general has everything you will need. sounds like you were using the wrong presentation. I would bet those were herring you had under you.

or clouds of smelt, been having the same thing happen at another area of the lake and they indeed are smelt. Enough to fill buckets full (we did our smelting hook line and sinker last year). Chadwick is right too, could be herring also...

I had about the same luck as live4chrome today...I was in 65fow right on that crack marked one laker not what I was hoping for.... That crack sucks, now it just condenses the people even more....Were packed like sardines...Not how I like to fish...

3-6feef. Just heard a guy went through off 21st. Definitly not safe by all means, but fish able if you are familiar with the gitch. It's not like any other body of water where you can just jump cracks. They open and close fast

If you were fishing off 21st today, you are a moron. 20mph west winds. you gotta be kidding me.

Lay off the insults and grow up!

Fished at two harbors,about 7-8 inches of ice no fish,drove by knife and there was a guy walking in from the beach or park whatever it is didnt talk to him.Saw one guy in front of the french just outside the slag ice,and a couple guys at mcquoid harbor.21st st looked like a clown show with all the trucks and guys coming and going so I headed north,went out where no one has been out 7"inches of ice about 50ft deep got stopped from goin any further by a minor crack i wasnt going to cross,had 3 fish chase but not hit the 3/4oz. buckshot i was using ,i stayed for about 2 1/2 hrs.As far as i could see the lake looked locked up from two harbors south as I didnt see anything open but my old eyes arnt the greatest anymore.I did way more driving then fishing which is fine since now i know for myself whas going on and where these areas are as i have only been to two harbors before 3 times in the summer and 1 time last winter.

No ones telling you not to go out there, just check the ice as you go and respect the lake. More than a few guys have passed away on that body of water and more will follow. It's not falling through walking out that scares me I'm smart enough to chisel my way out. It's the ticket on the Ashland Express that I never want to experience. I'm hoping to get out again this winter, but I can assure you I'll take all the precautions necessary.

I just need to say it because i've seen a few large fish harvested. but a 30 inch laker is about 20 years old, and a 40 inch laker is in the 35-50 year old range. If you want a chance to get out and do this fishing in the future release fish over 30" or at least 35" if we clean up the big fish it will be another 20-30 years for the big fish to return. I love seeing people catch big ones out there but it hurts knowing someone is taking a 40 yr old fish home for a couple meals. respect the fish and we will have good laker fishing for years to come.

I just need to say it because i've seen a few large fish harvested. but a 30 inch laker is about 20 years old, and a 40 inch laker is in the 35-50 year old range. If you want a chance to get out and do this fishing in the future release fish over 30" or at least 35" if we clean up the big fish it will be another 20-30 years for the big fish to return. I love seeing people catch big ones out there but it hurts knowing someone is taking a 40 yr old fish home for a couple meals. respect the fish and we will have good laker fishing for years to come.

Good post. No need to take these old fish. In some cases, they will die from the fight but please handle them minimally and always with two hands.

Avoid holding them only by the gills or by the tail. This WILL damage their cartilage.

I like this post stunner, good solid point. I wish people were more smart about selective harvesting. I too love to eat fish, but never would hesitate to let a big one go. Ive seen big fish caught and kept in juat about all my favorite waters and I always try and make it a point to educate the person keeping fish. Breaks my heart when I was seeing numerous big walleyes being harvested out of the St Louis River. I am sure there have been a bunch of old trout taken out of the area in the last week. This will continue. sad sad.

I will be heading out there tomorrow and I haven't fished here before. I understand people may think i am stupid but i plan to take all means necessary to safely fish. I did call Marine and they said 6-7 inch with a 2 foot refroze crack.

I will obviously be waiting til daylight to walk out and since i will be by myself i am hoping i can find someone nice enough to walk out with so i can take full advantage of the buddy system.

On the flip side of things, this topic is lake superior fishing...so trying to get back on topic, has anyone been getting decent action or is it just slow in general?

*not trying to be mean or condescending by the way*

I do agree releasing large lakers is wise. But harvest of small to medium lakers is acceptable. Lakers have recovered nicely in Minnesota parts of lake superior. This recovery can and will affect other species as forage in lake superior is minimal. Under current situations I encourage harvest of small to medium fish.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I am glad no one is screaming for size restriction!! We do not need more rules we just need to educate people about the benefits of releasing the big fish. Lets keep educating people.

For you guys that know the lake trout fishery better than I what size would say should keep under 25 inches and release over 25 inches for example? This would be useful information for people who do not know much about the fishery

I'd love to see a size restriction. Unfortunately a lot of people have the mentality, 'if it's legal I am going to keep it', regardless of the amount of education they have on the subject.

I don't measure the length of lakers but I'd say anything 7+ lbs should go back. As mentioned earlier, lakers have slow growth rates which means the big ones are going to contain a high amount of mercury.

I wouldn't keep anything big simply because they taste like dump. What I don't get is why you always hear this talk of releasing big fish during ice fishing season only. I think when too many people fish next to each and see nice fish being caught they get a little hot and bothered. Happens every year on the harbor side too with walleyes. Its a big lake with an extremely healthy population of lakers. Just be responsible.

And personally I think a 5 lber or so is going to reproduce as well if not better and do less damage than a monster. I caught a big laker inside McQuade harbor a few years ago that was gorging itself on freshly stocked rainbows.

Granted I only fish superior during warmer months ,,,But almost every lake trout that comes to the boat gets released unless some one fishing near me asks me to keep a few I do not target lake Trout but I will keep the 3-5 lbs for friends to smoke