• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

can the DNR really allow this

newtofishing

Measured in Microns? Anything can be measured in Microns. A zeeb larva is between 100 microns and 200 microns or .004 to 008 inches.

As for water level, as I recall the impact calculated at flood stage was less than an inch.

All you can do at this point is contact your elected officials and tell them you don't like it.

I guess I find it rather strange they get all up tight about a half of a cup of water in the boat hull, but they arent worried about dumping millions of gallons of water from a known infested lake into a non infested lake. Regardless of it is filtered.

I also think zeebs arent the end of the world, and people need to focus on other things out there. I guess if I had the choice if I wanted the government to spend a billion dollars on slowing down the spread of zebra muscles, or spend that billion on a cure for a disease that kills people, I would pick the cure to save peoples lives.

But that also doesnt mean spread invasives on purpose either.

• 2 weeks later...

Your name isn't Glenn Anderson is it?

Reading the minutes makes it sound like it is quite a ways from a done deal.

For starters, DNR still has to approve the filter design.

name shouldnt matter should it?

not sure I see the same delay in the minutes that you do. How many people were on your bus to the capitol on Thursday?

name shouldnt matter should it?

not sure I see the same delay in the minutes that you do. How many people were on your bus to the capitol on Thursday?

to answer your questions

a few inches of water over or typical high water will cause issues for me and others- we have people that sandbag every year

yes I do not trust the DNR and any mechanical filter system to catch everything. Very few mechanical systems works 100% over a long period of time.

as stated before this will not have an immediate direct financial impact.

I ask you this- if they filter fails and it passes its zebra mussels to lakes downstream- what is the finicial impact to a person then? I would say it would be significant since your lake value was just dropped!

I am also not a believer in screwing with Mother Nature. You are chancing the natural flow of water and connecting lakes that werent intended to be connected. LEAVE them alone.

Well, then good luck with your endeavor, and good luck to the people upstream with too much water already. I hope you can all work out a solution in a democratic manner that provides a good result for all.

• 2 weeks later...

link to audio and presentation from the MN legislature on this topic. My impression is this will get approved which means 16 million gallons per day or more when you add devils lake to this of water from zebra mussel invested lakes will be heading into the ottertail river- directly impacted lakes are Little Pine, Big Pine, Rush and Ottertail. If you are concerned get involved before it is to late.

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/cmte/minutes/minutes.aspx?comm=89004&id=5935&ls_year=89

The water will be filtered by a DNR approved filter to remove Zeeb larvae.

thats reassuring that the DNR will approve a filter to handle 16 MILLION GALLONS A DAY. I don't know much about filters - but sure doesn't seem like you can EVER build one that is 100% - things have a tendency to fail or malfunction.

and I have a hard time comprehending that volume of water 16 MILLION gallons a day- and EVERY day.

serious question- why not buy farm land at 3K an acre and dig a hole X number feet down and line it. would be cheaper than your 10 million you want the tax payers to spend and it would not impact others?

I want one of those filters for my minnow bucket so I can use lake water and bring my bait home or to another lake.

I agree- I think we might have a "shark tank" idea here.

crazy the a minnow bucket is illegal but 16 Million gallons is no problem

thats reassuring that the DNR will approve a filter to handle 16 MILLION GALLONS A DAY. I don't know much about filters - but sure doesn't seem like you can EVER build one that is 100% - things have a tendency to fail or malfunction.

and I have a hard time comprehending that volume of water 16 MILLION gallons a day- and EVERY day.

serious question- why not buy farm land at 3K an acre and dig a hole X number feet down and line it. would be cheaper than your 10 million you want the tax payers to spend and it would not impact others?

How much drinking water is used in the Twin Cities every day? What is the process that turns Mississippi River water into safe drinking water?

not sure how that fits but here is your answer. I sure hope you plan on testing as much as they do with the mississippi water and please don't add the chemicals that they do-

The sole source of our water supply is the Mississippi River, with an average annual withdrawal of 21 billion gallons. The water we take from the river goes through a cleaning process. Impurities are reduced by a number of processes, including filtration, disinfection and sedimentation. Fluoride is also added to our tap water to help prevent tooth decay. In the end, Minneapolis Water Treatment & Distribution Services produces an average of 57 million gallons per day. That’s enough to fill Lake of the Isles in about four days.

In addition to cleaning the water, Minneapolis is one of the few cities in Minnesota that softens water at a centralized softening plant. Our softening saves customers the expense of buying and maintaining their own home softening system. Our softening plant removes around 65,000 pounds of hardness from our water every day. The material we take out is used to help neutralize the soil on Minnesota and Wisconsin farmlands.

A variety of tests are performed on our water throughout the treatment process. On average, 500 chemical, physical, and bacteriological examinations are done each and every day. That’s 182,500 tests a year! For more specific information about water quality see our Consumer Confidence Report and our Plant Effluent Water Analysis.

The point is they filter 21 Billion gallons per year. That is 57 Million gallons a day.

thank for this- kinda gets my arms around how much 16 Million gallons is. Basically you want to move 1/4 the amount of the water used by the Twin Cities each day. HOLY CRAP that is ALOT of water. They can guarantee there water is safe with 500 test a day? any you?

copied from the ottertail site

he DNR just informed me that they are now taking public comments. Anyone interested in providing feeback should email the RGU (Responsible Government Unit) who is:

Gill Kalar

[email protected]

Please pass this information on to anyone who is concerned about this project!!

little mcdonald lid is hosting a meeting this weekend. I suggest ALL owners on Little Pine Big Pine Rush and Ottertail attend. this is your chance to listen and give feedback

The meeting will be at 9:30 am on Sat., March 21st at the Perham Area Community Center. Please attend if you have any concerns with this plan.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked with someone that went to the meeting last Sat. Very well attended and LID said target timeline for completion is December 2015!

• 2 weeks later...

this was added to the Governors bonding bill that was released today.

If you oppose you better call your legislature reps NOW.

The Governor recommends $10 million for a grant to Otter Tail County to make publicly-owned capital

improvements to address flooding and high-water conditions on Big and Little McDonald Lakes, and Paul Lake.

The total cost of the project is $11 million.