• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What is the ice update on pelican? Hoping to come up next weekend with my boy and try it with the wheelhouse. Hoping to not have to go all the way to red again...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone out on OT this weekend? Just read the lake report for Pelican Lake in Ashby and it sounded like the warm up may have messed with the ice a bit. Just wondering how the ice is looking on OT and if there is any heaving at the accesses.

Fished OT Friday night,Saturday morning and night. Fishing friday night was pretty decent we kept 4 jumbo perch and 6 walleyes. All the walleyes were between 17" and 19 1/2". We were in about 18 1/2 feet along the edge of a break. Saturday morning and night was pretty slow, only kept 3 walleyes and missed several more. We had about 13 inches of ice then when it warmed up there was a lot of water on top of the ice. In some spots there was a couple inches. People were still driving trucks out but I decided to just take the 4 wheeler. The ice is actually in pretty good shape and there were no heaves by the accesses over by the corner store.

Thanks for the ice report busse, glad to hear the ice has taken the heat rather well. Hopefully things will firm back up nice now this next week.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

solid 6 inches all over Ottertail now.   saw a few 4 wheelers.  no trucks obviously.

corner store has an access thru its front beach, they want everyone to use that as opposed to the 1 in front of the  restaurant.

good bait there and a set up bar now!   (beach bums is open Friday 5pm, Sat/Sun 11am--- go support them with food/drinks!)

fishing is surprisingly slowwww. 

Edited by BisoNation

House went in on west battle today from what I heard.  Drove by before dark and there was an orange cone just off the access and another one alittle ways out.

good ice on ottertail now, atv's all over, houses all over.   bite has been hit & miss.    caught some dandies the other night, even threw 2 of them back!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2016 at 7:46 PM, bigbluepirahna said:

House went in on west battle today from what I heard.  Drove by before dark and there was an orange cone just off the access and another one alittle ways out.

What exactly do the orange cones mean? Thin ice?

Was out on Long Lake near Vergas for the maiden voyage today and had a good 10"+ of ice.

Still no matter how long you've been out on "early ice, that first rumble at the feet makes your heart race.

Be safe out there.

On Ottertail Sunday morning, Decent bite. Pickups w/ Ice Castles on the lake. 12-13" of ice, which is a little too ballsy for me. I'd guess by next weekend the lake will have 15-18" with these few cold days coming up.

Big Pine as of 1/1 had 12-14" depending on spot.  Had 13" in the crappie hole on east side.  Bunch of cars and a few light SUV's/Light pickups driving around

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, just got back from W Battle. Caught a few eyes and perches.. Caught them in about 33ft of water. All after sunset.. Fished Rush for 1 day and caught avg size crappie and 1 11"  

Fished Ottertail again on Sunday. Went out of the Riveria access. Someone has been kind enough to maintain a road about 1.5 miles out, if not further. Caught a few dinks in 27 FOW, and landed a 22" at sundown. Watched about 20+ good sized walleyes come through on the camera. They wanted absolutely nothing to do with my bait. Once my camera lost light I marked a few on my Marcum, didn't couldn't coax them into biting. Picked up after it got dark! 

Big Pine as of 1/15 had 16" of ice on the north side.  Only drilled 5 holes and all were around 16" according to my ice scoop.  Just placed fish house out there for the nephew and called it good.  Sorry no fishing report.

• 10 months later...

I was in central Becker County yesterday shallower but bigger lake and we had 7" of crystal clear ice.  Lake was LOUD till about 2/230 when temps warmed up a little bit but the ice was making and pushing at shore line pretty good.  I haven't been down to Ottertail County yet but possibly will this weekend.

Finally looking like the temps are going to stay down next week should start making good ice.

I haven't looked today but the weekend of the 16/17 I have a trout trip planned up north and every year I go up there it gets colder then heck and I am willing to bet that weekend will get cold!  We need the cold and judging off the radar yesterday with most of the snow staying west it shouldn't affect the lakes too much.

Any one have an ice report from Ottertail? I know it was almost wide open last weekend. Wondering if I will be able to fish the first break this weekend. 

21 hours ago, Chill62 said:

Walker have you tried facebook? lol  That'd be a good topic.

I'm thinking that would be a better option. I had a buddy check out Ottertail for me last night and it had less than an inch in front of the Corner Store. He walked out about 5 feet and the ice started breaking. 

Yikes!  I haven't fished OT County yet but been on four different lakes in Becker.  Last weekend bigger shallower lake was at 7".  This weekend skinny long deep lake was at 8" and it had a side by side on the lake. Large body of water that when it warmed up reopened had 8".  Went to my honey hole and had 10.25-10.5" on it.  Dang near drove out but figured I'd wait so I drilled about 150 holes yesterday and didn't find any thin ice spots.  My shoulder hurts from drilling holes this weekend and carrying around my big 10" auger lol.  

Becker County report.  Fish were SPOOKY!!!  Tried a few lakes for panfish and didn't really get into them but they were spooky.  They prefered smaller jigs tipped with wax worms, tried soft plastics but they wanted real things this weekend was my finding.  Fished a lake Saturday night right before dark had tip ups out and jigging with spoons.  One eye came on a tip up other 4 came on spoons.  Had guys 15 feet from me on both sides both catch 2 and the tip up was another 30 feet the other way and I didn't get a bite or a mark!!!!  That's my luck though. 

People catching walleyes what I'm hearing are downsized baits on dead sticks.  Buddy got a 6.5 pounder C&R on a crappie/fathead fishing for perch mid day.  I don't know if weather has them in a funk or what.  Panfish are spooky and smaller jigs worked better 4 mm and 3 mm had better results then 5 mm.  5 mm I was finding was spooking fish when they would get near.  I drilled holes from 42' to 14' and had best luck when sun came out in 38 feet but I could follow the schools shallower as the sun set ultimately ended up in 19-21' for crappies and gills.

Ottertail Lake.   Sunday Night   2 inches maybe... saw 2 guys on a bucket out in front of corner store.

wednesday morning.. some crazy guy with a 4 wheeler out on first break with a permnant house..    which I think is nuts