• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Expected worst Deer harvest in 20 years!

leech~~

mntatonka:

#1 is illegal and you are proving others points by not knowing this.

#5 is not poaching. Perfectly legal to party hunt as long as the others in the party are hunting with you and not sitting at home.

whoops, got carried away with copy/paste on #5, sorry about that (edited my previous post to fix that). And like I said on #1, I wasn't sure if it was legal or not since I hadn't looked it up (or had a good reason to)

edit 2: after looking it up, #1 is ONLY illegal in a lottery area. Also illegal in a bucks only area, since no one (including youth) is allowed to take a doe there.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smsmith

• hockeybc69

• laker1

• PurpleFloyd

Why did you leave #3 off the list?

Most hunters are ethical and follow the law. Folks that knowingly break the law will likely continue to do so, not matter what regulations are put in place.

From what I hear from some hunters many are willfully ignorant about the laws related to party hunting. They like to believe doing the items I singled out somehow falls under party hunting. They are more likely to know that not registering a deer and shooting another using the same tag is illegal.

I believe many hunters are like many other people and are ethical only when it works for them. They will take advantage of the laws if they think they won't get caught.

How is anyone going to prove I wasn't party hunting with billy bob if he stayed in to waste his time watching the vikes and doesn't want to hunt any more? Might as well use his tag if something I shoot something and I can keep hunting.

Not what I do but just an example of how the average hunter thinks.

I hear multiple people talk about party hunting in a way that is illegal every year. No hard evidence, just what I and evidently others on the forum hear as well.

I think any Iowa hunters should come hunt in Minnesota before complaining too much smile

I actually loved hunting Iowa, when I could afford it. Well balanced age structure and buck doe ratio, deer herd healthy, rut happened like it was supposed to due to the age thing and buck/doe ratio. If you put in a decent amount of effort and time, you could experience what hunting can truly be like, and have multiple sightings and the ability to be somewhat selective on what you shot. Miss those days. I don't hunt Minnesota anymore, and don't gun hunt anymore. But listening to a few of you I feel really bad for some of you to hear that you are spending hours upon hours and days and days in the stand and not even seeing a deer, or maybe seeing one. Even back in the years when our population was nowhere near what it eventually became, we saw deer. We were self imposed bucks only, and even though we didn't see near the deer I do now while bowhunting, it was sure a lot better than what I'm hearing from many of you. A couple have mentioned it and I agree wholeheartedly, it's hard to recruit and maintain young people into hunting when it's that tough. Let's hope the DNR at least still maintains that as one of its goals.

what happened to the old metal tags that once you locked them they didn't come off. Then we had the sticky tags that once you clasped them closed you couldn't re-open. Now you tie a sting through it and tie it on and you can move it from deer to deer if you chose to. I know they went to that because the machines at the store didn't use that expensive sticky tape.

My point is that some of these systems we've moved to have made it easier for scofflaws to shoot more deer. For invasive species we started with stickers, then inspections, and now you have to take an on line class. With the deer hunting we're getting so lax on some aspects of keeping things on the up and up. It doesn't square with logic unless we want more dead deer and less of a population.

This has been one of my biggest b$tches for a few years. The sad reality is there are to many people who shoot a deer with their bow, tag it, take it home and cut it up, and then don't register it. Now there firearm tag is good, or so they feel, and they do it all over again. I don't even like the current tag. I feel they should only give you one actual tag a year, and the old sticky tags would be the best option. You can buy a license for each season, but why do you get a tag with each license you buy when you can only legally tag one deer(in most circumstances). It seems to me they are just making it to easy for those that will take advantage of it. I should state that im not picking on bow hunters, just using it as an example. it can just as easily be a firearm hunters or muzzle loaders. hopefully I don't offend anyone. grin

But listening to a few of you I feel really bad for some of you to hear that you are spending hours upon hours and days and days in the stand and not even seeing a deer, or maybe seeing one.

You know how fishermen tend to exaggerate the truth about how big a fish was? Well, same applies to many when it comes to "how bad" their hunting was.

You know how fishermen tend to exaggerate the truth about how big a fish was? Well, same applies to many when it comes to "how bad" their hunting was.

I saw three deer this year while in the stand, and I was pleased with that. I will admit though, I didn't put in as much time as years past.

That's pretty presumptuous on your part, not to mention paternalistic. Just because you may not be able to relate to the truly carp deer hunting that exists in many areas of MN doesn't mean the folks who do report such experiences are "exaggerating the truth"

Ok then, let me give you a fine example. There is a member of this site who often complains about how horrible the deer hunting in his area is. To protect his identity I will simply refer to him as smsmithers. He stated that unless he sees the only buck he has has his mind set on he won't pull the trigger. That's fine, but there are plenty others who would have been content to shoot a lesser buck or doe and called the season a success.

I can sympathize with guys who saw zero deer. I can respect guys who passed multiple deer in hopes for "the one," but I won't shed too many tears for them.

And by parternalist I would hope you'll also include folks who want to ban party hunting, institute a lottery or APR or anything else they can dream up.

Ok then, let me give you a fine example. There is a member of this site who often complains about how horrible the deer hunting in his area is. To protect his identity I will simply refer to him as smsmithers. He stated that unless he sees the only buck he has has his mind set on he won't pull the trigger. That's fine, but there are plenty others who would have been content to shoot a lesser buck or doe and called the season a success.

I can sympathize with guys who saw zero deer. I can respect guys who passed multiple deer in hopes for "the one," but I won't shed too many tears for them.

And by parternalist I would hope you'll also include folks who want to ban party hunting, institute a lottery or APR or anything else they can dream up.

I was not referring to myself when I pointed out that some people's reports of poor hunting were being dismissed as inaccurate...by you.

I too can sympathize with those guys who see zero, or very few deer. Especially those guys who are hunting public land who have zero control over what is harvested or how well the land is managed for deer.

You have a problem with me on a personal basis...that's fine. Let's not allow that to cloud the fact that deer hunting in MN is pretty crappy for quite a few hunters.

I don't have a personal problem with you per se, but I do find it interesting that I hunt public land in central mn and don't think the hunting is so bad, and you don't seem to hunt publicland but think it's completely void of deer.

I don't have a personal problem with you per se, but I do find it interesting that I hunt public land in central mn and don't think the hunting is so bad, and you don't seem to hunt publicland but think it's completely void of deer.

Don't put words in my mouth. I don't believe I've ever stated that anywhere in MN is "completely devoid of deer". I have stated that hunting in central MN, especially on public lands and private lands where the owners don't have the time or ability to manipulate the habitat is far from what it could (and should) be if we had better deer management.

So if we have 500k hunters in the state and we need to have the herd at a point where every hunter has an opportunity to pass on multiple inferior bucks and only take the one that he feels is worthy? Just how many deer will it take in the state to get to that point? It seems like the number would need to be pretty high considering party hunting, doing drives and cross tagging need to be taken off the table so these deer have to actually walk within range of every stationary hunter in the state.

I think we're closer to 400K this year P.F., but that doesn't really matter. Why does every hunter need the opportunity to pass on what you term "inferior" bucks? I've never suggested that what I choose to harvest is what everybody should choose to harvest.

If you're going to lead the charge to end party hunting, doing drives and cross tagging, have at it. I'd guess the first and last are on the DNR's list of things to get done in the next 5 years or so, you can be the front man.

I've never suggested that what I choose to harvest is what everybody should choose to harvest.

But shouldn't every hunter be allowed the same opportunity you are expecting no matter where they live? I am kinda coming around to that type of thinking and want to know how many deer I should demand in the back 40 in order to make sure I get a whack at a wallhanger every year.

Where did wallhangers for all come from?

How about focus on the fact that deer hunting in MN could be much better and everyone would benefit.

I am not saying that 100% success is needed, but things are much different now.

Whats wrong with hunters getting to see a few deer?

The people that want to shoot anything get a better opp to shoot anything. The people that like to shoot bucks might get to shoot the bucks of choice. The people that want bigger bucks might get chances at more bigger bucks. Is there something wrong with that?

Oh now I see my flaw.... I said, "deer hunting in MN could be much better and everyone would benefit."

PF will then say,,,

who is everyone? Does everyone agree with you? bla bla.....

Why cant there be some happy medium? Lou Cornicelli has said a number of times that 200k-220k is the sweet spot for harvest... Well lets work to get there and stop the madness that every year we shoot less deer because of wind/rain/corn.

But shouldn't every hunter be allowed the same opportunity you are expecting no matter where they live? I am kinda coming around to that type of thinking and want to know how many deer I should demand in the back 40 in order to make sure I get a whack at a wallhanger every year.

Every hunter, including myself, are currently "allowed" that opportunity. If more hunters used that opportunity, the hunting for bucks over 1.5 years old would improve exponentially. However, that is up to each hunter to decide...isn't it P.F.?

Where did wallhangers for all come from?

How about focus on the fact that deer hunting in MN could be much better and everyone would benefit.

I am not saying that 100% success is needed, but things are much different now.

Whats wrong with hunters getting to see a few deer?

The people that want to shoot anything get a better opp to shoot anything. The people that like to shoot bucks might get to shoot the bucks of choice. The people that want bigger bucks might get chances at more bigger bucks. Is there something wrong with that?

Oh now I see my flaw.... I said, "deer hunting in MN could be much better and everyone would benefit."

PF will then say,,,

who is everyone? Does everyone agree with you? bla bla.....

Why cant there be some happy medium? Lou Cornicelli has said a number of times that 200k-220k is the sweet spot for harvest... Well lets work to get there and stop the madness that every year we shoot less deer because of wind/rain/corn.

Exactly. When we have a reasonable deer herd, every type of hunter benefits.

P.F. is just feeling lonely and needs some negative interactions. Must be an early case of holiday depression.

Reading through this, and a few facebook pages with way too many posts, I'm starting to think the vocal deer hunters have become entitled whiners, just like so many of today's kids.

Predicted this on another site...there will be more Managed units in 2015 than there were in 2013.

Hope I'm wrong

My hope is that the zone I hunt - 277 - goes managed, I've been seeing lots of does and fawns. The problem is that this is a big zone, good deer habitat in the northern part and big black farmland in the southern part, they must be doing some sort of 'average' when they calculate doe permits.

My hope is that the zone I hunt - 277 - goes managed, I've been seeing lots of does and fawns. The problem is that this is a big zone, good deer habitat in the northern part and big black farmland in the southern part, they must be doing some sort of 'average' when they calculate doe permits.

One way, in my opinion, for the DNR to be able to have a better handle on the herd, would be to redraw the areas to take into account habitat changes over the years. Areas like that where there's a lot of deer in one part but very few in another.

The problem is that this is a big zone, good deer habitat in the northern part and big black farmland in the southern part, they must be doing some sort of 'average' when they calculate doe permits.

I believe they calculate the percentage of each unit that is considered deer habitat, multiply that times the established density goal, and then allocate permits based on (nothing) what the model tells them. That process may work well when the established methodology of doing aerial surveys every 4-5 years and recalibrating the model is done.

A good quality hunt or being able to go hunting every year with a less than desirable deer herd. I'll take the quality every time. Like you said though...plenty of others will opt for "choice B"

Be careful what you wish for.

I want to be able to deer hunt every year. Its easy to say "I'll just hunt with a camera or I'll do more duck/pheasant/squirrel hunting" but when push comes to shove, it would really suck not being able to go sit in a deer stand, watch the sunrise, speculate whether that black object is a deer or a bush, etc.

The DNR can manage the deer herd with the doe lottery, its just a matter of managing to to an acceptable number (which is the big debate here, what is the number), no need for a buck lottery!!!

Every hunter, including myself, are currently "allowed" that opportunity. If more hunters used that opportunity, the hunting for bucks over 1.5 years old would improve exponentially. However, that is up to each hunter to decide...isn't it P.F.?

Not according to you and the group you are advocating for.you are asking the DNR to decide for us.

Be careful what you wish for.

I want to be able to deer hunt every year. Its easy to say "I'll just hunt with a camera or I'll do more duck/pheasant/squirrel hunting" but when push comes to shove, it would really suck not being able to go sit in a deer stand, watch the sunrise, speculate whether that black object is a deer or a bush, etc.

The DNR can manage the deer herd with the doe lottery, its just a matter of managing to to an acceptable number (which is the big debate here, what is the number), no need for a buck lottery!!!

I understand what you're saying and going to a full lottery system that may make it impossible for a hunter to go out each year certainly isn't at the top of my "want" list. However, if that led to a quality experience, I (just my personal opinion fellas" wouldn't mind.

I agree that our herd should be able to be managed to reasonable levels with our existing tools and season structures.

We have a hard enough time getting youth and family into the woods as it is. I'd hate to make it a tougher job by having young or new hunters having to sit out for one or more years at a time due to not getting drawn. By the same token kids and new hunters like to see some deer when they are out in the woods. Been through that with turkey hunting and needing to go out of state to get our spring hunting fix.

Very good point!!!

Not according to you and the group you are advocating for.you are asking the DNR to decide for us.

How is that P.F.? Pretty sure the DNR already decides for us what the season is going to look like, right? All I want (personally) is more deer on the landscape. I fail to see how that is going to negatively impact your deer hunting, but I'm sure you'll find something to argue about.

Exactly. When we have a reasonable deer herd, every type of hunter benefits.

P.F. is just feeling lonely and needs some negative interactions. Must be an early case of holiday depression.

I'm not in a bad mood, actually very happy and satisfied with the season that just ended. You, OTOH have been the one crying about the DNR and how terrible your hunting has been. You are just upset that other hunters are seeing and harvesting enough deer to be perfectly happy.

Is this still one of the worst deer harvests in the past 20 yrs? Pretty much everyone I know got a deer, it has been one of the best yrs I can remember for activity and people harvesting. Even some of the guys that have been skunked the past 2-3 yrs got one this season.

How is that P.F.? Pretty sure the DNR already decides for us what the season is going to look like, right? All I want (personally) is more deer on the landscape. I fail to see how that is going to negatively impact your deer hunting, but I'm sure you'll find something to argue about.

Pretty simple concept. I am for the DNR and the rest of government being less restrictive while the big government liberal types feel that only government can protect us from ourselves. You are asking for more intervention than has been historically done and I am not going to support more government. I am more of a personal responsibility type.

Is this still one of the worst deer harvests in the past 20 yrs? Pretty much everyone I know got a deer, it has been one of the best yrs I can remember for activity and people harvesting. Even some of the guys that have been skunked the past 2-3 yrs got one this season.

Apparently you don't know that many people...

http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/2014/11/18/h...end/#more-15605