• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Posting Land/Handling Trespassers and Neighbors

Coach1310

My point is that you're all expecting me to go out of my way to enable the landowners to avoid following the rules.

No, my point is that you're expecting landowners to go out every year to sign and date their posted signs. Most landowners (I'd bet) make the assumption that if they go to the trouble to purchase and post signs on THEIR property that they've done what the law requires.

Then you, the stickler, comes along and says "hey, these signs don't meet the letter of the law" (even though the DNR regs make it appear that no such signing and dating is required) and go trespassing. THEN you expect a landowner to cordially and politely greet you and demurely ask you to not continue to trespass. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on the fact you've never had an ugly confrontation leading to bodily injury of any kind. I'd also bet that you have lived most, or all, of your life in urban or suburban areas.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smsmith

• CaptainMusky

• harvey lee

• aanderud

The law in Minnesota?

From DNR Regulation book:

"Any entry onto private property without permission is considered trespass." Regardless of no trespassing signs.

yep that's what scrambles my brain about how some here think its "legal" to trespass because it isn't posted or "legally" posted. Its clear to me from the regs. Some people just need to READ them.

So your suggesting that the DNR handbook legally supersedes the actual statutes of the state of Minnesota?

The remainder of my comment is directed at the rest of this thread.

Most of you feigning outrage have not actually read and digested the arguments here. No one has suggested that anyone go tromping around willy nilly wherever one chooses. The argument is that certain types of NON-AGRICULTURE LAND are accessible, according to MN statute,if not posted.

If you don't like that, POST YOUR LAND and post it legally according to the statute.

That is the sum of the arguments made. No one has said they disregard improperly posted signs and no one has suggested they intentionally trespass on land posted not quite to the statute.

The people here are not your enemy.

A few have suggested they may shoot on sight, big talk for a keyboard warrior. Don't forget most of your law breaking miscreants will be well armed. Shoot true, manslaughter carries a lesser term than murder. Or course you probably should not make veiled threats on a public forum if your intent is to harm trespassers.

Good luck to all this fall and remember to respect the law and each other.

1. No one has suggested that anyone go tromping around willy nilly wherever one chooses.

2. A few have suggested they may shoot on sight

1. you must have missed the part where one poster said he'd disregard any signs that he felt were posted incorrectly and would continue to go where he chose.

2. where?

1. No one has suggested that anyone go tromping around willy nilly wherever one chooses.

2. A few have suggested they may shoot on sight

1. you must have missed the part where one poster said he'd disregard any signs that he felt were posted incorrectly and would continue to go where he chose.

Actually he stated that was on illegally posted PUBLIC land

2. where?

Well, you yourself alluded to it 2 or 3 times whiles making passive aggressive posts. Go ahead and search your name you'll find what I am talking about.

Just remember in these confrontations you will not be the only armed one-who-thinks-I-am-silly standing his ground. Good luck, I wish you well.

15 pages about posting land?.... Wow. Is it that bad out there?

I have run trail cams for almost 10 years now, and only once caught someone on cam that I wasnt sure who he was. It was a guy that looked about 75 with gopher traps on his ATV...

I have got a neighboring landowner on his horse, the county tax assessor, a relative in his pickup, neighbor on his ATV(looking for his beef cattle that got out) and my grandpa(rest his soul).

I guess I am really lucky. I am quite amazed at the lengths some of you think you have to go through to keep strangers off your land.

As he is legally able to do according to the statutes. If it is not posted as required by law, one is able to access it.

I haven't commented on this thread yet but will now that I have read it all. I for one will not enter posted land whether or not it appears to be posted according to the letter of the law. Would just as soon avoid the confrontation that is likely to occur as a result of it.

However, as a hunter I would sure appreciate it if land owners DID post their land according to the law. Makes it much easier if you slap your name and number on there so I can locate you easily to seek permission. If you take just a little time as a landowner to add that info, I think you will see a few less people going on your land without talking to you. Most hunters aren't out there looking for a sign that doesn't comply exactly with the letter of the law. They just want to be able to seek and gain (or be denied) permission in a timely manner that doesn't mean running around from house to house, to internet GIS data, to plat book to try to figure out who they need to talk to. I know it bums me when I find an old shredded posted sign, sometimes just small pieces left hanging at the stapled corners or even just the board the sign was once attached to, and I can't find the landowner. To me, that looks like the land used to be owned by someone who posted it or it is currently owned by someone who really doesnt care too much about the land usage. But still, I stay off because the confrontation that I fear could occur.

I think it is pretty simple for both sides, and no one should have any issues with doing their part in this. Hunters just ask that landowners who wish to deny access make it be known via well marked boundaries with contact information listed. And for those landowners who wish not be bothered, purchase signs that say so or write in "Do not bother to ask permission".

Landowners are simply asking hunters to stay out without permission, and the obvious way to do so is to post your land and add your info if all you truly want from us hunters is to politely ask permission. Why not make it easy for us to do so? Hell, if posting is a big chore ask the hunters who you give permission every year to help upkeep the posted signs. I know I would be more than happy to do that for any landowner who lets me hunt year to year. It's the least I could do to say thanks.

My opinion is that it isn't too much to ask to just post the land clearly if you don't want people on it. The ones who will continue to trespass if the land is clearly marked are the ones who are gonna do whatever the hell they want to do regardless of posted signs or statutes. I'll continue to stay off your land even if you have shredded old posted signs that aren't legible, but that's because of what I was taught growing up. If it isnt yours, don't mess with it. However, according to the statutes, how I read them anyway, I'm able to enter your non-ag land if you don't have it posted legibly. As a landowner, do yourself a favor and don't rely upon every hunter out there to be the most ethical, respectful, patient person in the world. Just follow the law and post it, just like you want the hunters to follow the laws and not trespass.

As he is legally able to do according to the statutes. If it is not posted as required by law, one is able to access it.

I haven't commented on this thread yet but will now that I have read it all. I for one will not enter posted land whether or not it appears to be posted according to the letter of the law. Would just as soon avoid the confrontation that is likely to occur as a result of it.

However, as a hunter I would sure appreciate it if land owners DID post their land according to the law. Makes it much easier if you slap your name and number on there so I can locate you easily to seek permission. If you take just a little time as a landowner to add that info, I think you will see a few less people going on your land without talking to you. Most hunters aren't out there looking for a sign that doesn't comply exactly with the letter of the law. They just want to be able to seek and gain (or be denied) permission in a timely manner that doesn't mean running around from house to house, to internet GIS data, to plat book to try to figure out who they need to talk to. I know it bums me when I find an old shredded posted sign, sometimes just small pieces left hanging at the stapled corners or even just the board the sign was once attached to, and I can't find the landowner. To me, that looks like the land used to be owned by someone who posted it or it is currently owned by someone who really doesnt care too much about the land usage. But still, I stay off because the confrontation that I fear could occur.

I think it is pretty simple for both sides, and no one should have any issues with doing their part in this. Hunters just ask that landowners who wish to deny access make it be known via well marked boundaries with contact information listed. And for those landowners who wish not be bothered, purchase signs that say so or write in "Do not bother to ask permission".

Landowners are simply asking hunters to stay out without permission, and the obvious way to do so is to post your land and add your info if all you truly want from us hunters is to politely ask permission. Why not make it easy for us to do so? Hell, if posting is a big chore ask the hunters who you give permission every year to help upkeep the posted signs. I know I would be more than happy to do that for any landowner who lets me hunt year to year. It's the least I could do to say thanks.

My opinion is that it isn't too much to ask to just post the land clearly if you don't want people on it. The ones who will continue to trespass if the land is clearly marked are the ones who are gonna do whatever the hell they want to do regardless of posted signs or statutes. I'll continue to stay off your land even if you have shredded old posted signs that aren't legible, but that's because of what I was taught growing up. If it isnt yours, don't mess with it. However, according to the statutes, how I read them anyway, I'm able to enter your non-ag land if you don't have it posted legibly. As a landowner, do yourself a favor and don't rely upon every hunter out there to be the most ethical, respectful, patient person in the world. Just follow the law and post it, just like you want the hunters to follow the laws and not trespass.

Very poignant, pretty much what I think. Sorry my Richard-ness snuck out in my posts, just getting tired with the tone in this thread.

After reading all these posts I cannot figure out what everyone is complaining about. If a person buys a piece of land, pays the taxes and would like to hunt the land by himself why is it so tough to abide by his wishes of posting it no hunting? Whether his contact info is on the signs or not I would think it would be clear to others to move on and find somewhere else to hunt. It's as if someone see's a no hunting sign they think there must be something really good in there and I just have to get in. Minnesota has thousands of acres of public hunting land so I know there are plenty of places to hunt as I use them myself. and most of the time I am the only person there. Yes it is possible to walk onto someones private land when in the woods, I have had it happen to me, when this happens I take the shortest route to get off this land and make sure that I don't do it again. No crying that it didn't have a sign every 50 feet with the landowners life history on it, I was trespassing and I was in the wrong. A lot of this posting has happened because of a few that abused the privilege of using someones land and leaving gates open or driving across the land or other things that the landowners did not care for, so now this is what we have to live with. I say if it's posted look somewhere else!

So your suggesting that the DNR handbook legally supersedes the actual statutes of the state of Minnesota?

What do the statutes say about game and fish laws? Those regulations are put in place for the purposes of managing hunting/fishing season/regulations.

If people abided by them then this discussion wouldnt have lasted more than a couple comments.

The hunting regs say you can't enter LEGALLY POSTED non-agriculture land without permission. Therefore, if it is not posted according to the law, you are able to enter and recreate upon it.

Now as I stated earlier, I for one would not enter that land even if it wasn't posted to the letter of the law. It is enough evidence for me to know the landowner doesn't want me in there. However, I could be wrong and those could be old posted signs from a previous owner, in which case I am missing out on an opportunity.

The next guy might come along and not have the same ETHICS as I do and he may go ahead and enter the land to hunt it. Landowner comes along and an argument ensues. If the landowner wants to actually prosecute the guy, I would guess he will never win his case. He didn't meet his requirements to post the non-ag land as required by law.

This is why I wish land owners would follow the letter of the law when it comes to posting. If you do that and you catch someone trespassing, PLEASE prosecute to the fullest extent you can, because those people are the ones who truly DISREGARD the laws. The guys who enter your land that has old posted signs that you can't read... they may not have the greatest ethics, but I don't think you can complain about them too much because you didn't do your part in the posting.

Since apparently some missed this the first time here it is again. This is the statute, the handbook is a summation of this rule with recommendations promote a good relationship between hunters and land owners.

Here is the actual statue regarding hunters and trespassing.

The more I read it the more I see various ways of interpreting it. No matter what your view on it is you could probably find evidence supporting your opinion.

The one thing that bugs me about how its written is that it doesn't explicitly grant hunters rights to trespass AND hunt on unposted land but it also doesn't explicitly restrict it either unless I am missing a section.

It does give two exceptions where you CAN legally access unposted land without permission so because of that I assume there must be other times when you CAN'T access unposted land without permission otherwise what point is there to explicitly list exceptions. But its not clearly stated.

Only thing that is clear is that posting the land is the only way to completely restrict access.

Ah, what the heck, may as well throw another wrinkle into this thread and fire the comments back up...

I was always under the impression that you didn't need permission to enter private land to retrieve a wounded deer, but had to leave once you found it. I've never actually had this experience, just thought that was the case. The reg book reads, "A person on foot may, without permission, enter land that is not posted to retrieve a wounded animal that was lawfully shot, but may not remain on the land after being told to leave."

So, since the regs specifically refer to land that isn't posted, if you wound one that enters posted land you can't enter it unless given permission, correct? And you can't reach the owner for whatever reason, you just have to leave it, correct?

So, since the regs specifically refer to land that isn't posted, if you wound one that enters posted land you can't enter it unless given permission, correct? And you can't reach the owner for whatever reason, you just have to leave it, correct?

That is my understanding

I am not sure exactly how the law reads in regards to pursuing a wounded animal but I have always had the understanding that if an animal you shoot goes onto another's land, you can enter to retrieve it unarmed.

I would think it would be best to ask the landowner if you can locate him to at a minimum, let them know you have a wounded deer in their woods. He may have others out there hunting and when they know u are going to be in there, it is a much safer situation for all.

I know or neighbors in ND and I also will as ask each other if it is ok to go and retrieve a wounded deer as we then know who is in the woods and the ones hunting in the woods know others are in the woods for nothing more than safety.

We have done this numerous times and it works out very well for both parties involved, does not take that long to ask and let the neighbor know you would like to go in to retrieve a wounded animal.

Most times we end up helping each other recover the deer. Yes, there are those times when one cannot locate the land owner and that is another issue.

I agree with you Pfunk. It's to bad that there are those who believe they can do whatever they choose on another's land. We post everything with name and phone number and many do ask and some do get to hunt. We are very careful of how many are hunting to eliminate any accidents with others not knowing who else is in the woods, simply a safety issue with us.

It's too bad that because of a few, that why we have the laws and issues we have, over a few who believe they can do what they can or simply do whatever they please, that surely is far from the majority of the hunters out there afield.

Ethics play a huge role here and it does seem that ethics for some is a thing of the past.

WE are very lucky to have the hunters we have as they all follow the rules we set perfect and they are always welcome to come back as long as they follow a simple set of rules.

We have great neighbors when it comes to deer hunting, we all talk and it works very well.

Few years back I wounded a buck and it ran onto the neighbors woods and they also hunt that woods. That evening I went over to the neighbors and asked if it was ok if I and a few others went into that woods in the morning to recover a deer, he said, no problem at all, we were hunting in there but we will hunt elsewhere until you are done finding the deer. very nice of them to do that as we did not have to walk around in thick cover looking for a deer and at the same time worry about another shooting at something moving in the brush, it happens.

Thank you for posting.

I would think that people, especially in Minnesota, would have the respect (and the common sense) to not enter someone's property without asking first, regardless of reason why. I usually don't give a hoot if you're on the land, but at least ask first in case there's a reason you shouldn't be, or areas you should stay out of for various reasons.

here is my thought any time I see or hear of trespassing:

You and three buddies decide to buy 200 acres of hunting land somewhere. You spend $200,000 and build a little hunting shack and make a few plots and build some stands for deer hunting. You spend a lot of money, time, and effort for your new little piece of heaven. You decide not to hunt it after Oct 15 for grouse to let the deer settle down. You have it posted properly by the way. Friday of opener you get up there at noon and unpack all you gear for deer season #1. Your own little honey hole. At 3pm you hear some shots and go out on your land and three guys with 2 dogs are grouse hunting on your land. They tell you "we always hunted it when the Johnson's owned it, thought it would still be okay since we hadn't seen anyone up here since Mid October." You now are depressed, mad, and wondering why you spent $200,000 so you could have your own hunting land.

Don't buzz kill others and don't trespass.

Harvey - I feel for you, but something is just not right. Maybe the current regs on the posting not being perfect to be lawful is new.

I worked with Tim long, long time ago on some poaching and illegal fishing things that I witnessed. He seemed OK, but again that was a long, long time ago.

Sometimes tresspassers that are local have ties to county power (judges, prosecutors, etc) are able to by-pass what would seem to be a normal open-and-shut case. Prosecuting locals for tresspass on Nonresident owned land may be difficult.

USF&WS have similar problems when their cases go to county court. That is why many Federal Wardens often prefer the case go through the Federal Court system.

here is my thought any time I see or hear of trespassing:

You and three buddies decide to buy 200 acres of hunting land somewhere. You spend $200,000 and build a little hunting shack and make a few plots and build some stands for deer hunting. You spend a lot of money, time, and effort for your new little piece of heaven. You decide not to hunt it after Oct 15 for grouse to let the deer settle down. You have it posted properly by the way. Friday of opener you get up there at noon and unpack all you gear for deer season #1. Your own little honey hole. At 3pm you hear some shots and go out on your land and three guys with 2 dogs are grouse hunting on your land. They tell you "we always hunted it when the Johnson's owned it, thought it would still be okay since we hadn't seen anyone up here since Mid October." You now are depressed, mad, and wondering why you spent $200,000 so you could have your own hunting land.

Don't buzz kill others and don't trespass.

Agree grouse hunters on the eve of deer opener is not a good situation ....

All said, bet you letting the land rest 20 days makes no difference at all. Deer learn to move around grouse hunters, walkers, and foresters/loggers. If the property is quiet for 20 days and then human scent is there ... may cause more alarm.

Human traffic also will keep the wolves from establishing base camp on your property. Sure they will still wonder through, but the last thing you want is wolves establishing their core area right in the middle of your deer property.

I knew that my post would end up hacking on the Oct 15th rest time...probably not my point though. I will edited it that no one hunts it the first ten years so it makes more sense.

I didn't miss the statutes the first time. I've read them. Lots of good info on how to legally post. Problem is, many interpret that as a legal right to tresspass if someone doesn't post. What many conveniently seem to ignore is the fact that nowhere in the statutes does it explicitly say you can enter someone else's land without their consent unless they've posted it. Nowhere. I do see numerous instances of language saying you are trespassing if you don't first ask for permission or gain consent. And this is probably why the DNR, along with numerous law enforcement agencies in brochures related to hunting, make the claim that if you don't first ask for permission, you are trespassing. Period.

Harvey - I feel for you, but something is just not right. Maybe the current regs on the posting not being perfect to be lawful is new.

I worked with Tim long, long time ago on some poaching and illegal fishing things that I witnessed. He seemed OK, but again that was a long, long time ago.

Sometimes tresspassers that are local have ties to county power (judges, prosecutors, etc) are able to by-pass what would seem to be a normal open-and-shut case. Prosecuting locals for tresspass on Nonresident owned land may be difficult.

USF&WS have similar problems when their cases go to county court. That is why many Federal Wardens often prefer the case go through the Federal Court system.

I do not own this land, friend of mine does and he also does not live in ND, absent owner and I take care of and watch over the ranch while he is not there.

Few years ago I had these 5 prosecuted as I was tired of asking people to please ask before they walk past the no hunting or trespassing signs. I would call the CO Tim Phalen and he would come down and one day I called Tim and he said unless you prosecute them, this will never end. Tim said I can come over and chase them off but they will come back more than likely.

Tim said if you prosecute them, that word will get around and sooner or later, people will know those signs mean what they say. I guess some feel I like putting them all up almost every year as many are just ripped of the fence post and they come in, Tim said if they do not see a sign, they just walk in. Can't prove who tore the sign down so come on in.

Since that time, it has gotten better as they were locals from not far away.

It seems that when people are in the Sheyenne National Grasslands, they feel they can cross a fence line as they think they are still on Federal property.

I can post the land legally by ND laws but that does not work for us.

If there is not a gate for 200-300 yards, they do not see it so they cross the fence and hunt, reason why I put signs up maybe every 200ft or so along with all corner posts and gates.

If I do not post that heavy, well, most everyone simply comes in.

I let 8-10 people in the area hunt I know and they all are as good as can be but trying to keep others out in this area is not a small task.

IF I wanted to keep all out, one would have to ride the fences all day on the wheeler and then one would still not get that job done. Impossible to keep others out almost.

I would say you would have to be there and see it to believe it.

I always wonder when I find a gut pile how they came in, shot a deer and got it out of there without anyone seeing but when we are not there that much, I guess fairly easy.

It has gone so far, I got a call from a fellow I gave permission to hunt to see when I was coming up to hunt as he wanted to hunt. I said it is fine you go as he is a quad but please only your brother with to help as he needs help to load a deer. I always kind of thought the guy was taking friends with to hunt so the last time he called, I jumped in my truck, drove 260 miles to the place and went to the area he likes to hunt. There was his pickup with 5 others and they were loading the last of the 5th buck.

Needless to say, he is no longer hunting the place.

After 3 or more issues like that, it kinda turns one off in regards to others coming out to hunt, to bad for all the ones that are honest people but what can one do.

It doesn't have to explicitly state that you can enter posted land without permission. It states that you can't enter posted land that is posted according to the subdivisions stated (i.e. According to the posting requirements regarding lettering, signature or contact info, etc). There are legal obligations the landowner has to follow when he posts his/her land if he wants to keep you off and prosecute you if you do not stay off. Yes, it is not ethical to go on land without permission, I agree. But it is going to be almost impossible for a landowner to prosecute someone unless they do THEIR part when it comes to posting and following the laws. My opinion is simply that if a landowner does his part, he can absolutely 100% expect everyone to stay off his land without permission, as it is illegal (by the letter of the law) for anyone to access his land without permission. If the landowner doesnt follow the law regarding posting, then he/she shouldnt be surprised when he/she can't prosecute a "trespasser".

My opinion is simply that if a landowner does his part, he can absolutely 100% expect everyone to stay off his land without permission, as it is illegal (by the letter of the law) for anyone to access his land without permission. If the landowner doesnt follow the law regarding posting, then he/she shouldnt be surprised when he/she can't prosecute a "trespasser".

PFUNK

Well PFUNK, we over post and I will say one cannot absolutely expect 100% to stay off, I would say 75% stay off at best from my experience in the last 20 years or so. I believe the trespasser we have are pretty sure they will not get caught while on the land trespassing.

WE cannot watch every section of land so one knows there is most always someone trespassing, all one would have to do is hop on the wheeler and go search them out. But, if you do that, no time left for ones own hunting so some just get to walk past the signs and hunt, that's the way it is, at least in our area. Our neighboirs have the same issues.

The guy who owns this ranch does not care for trespassers at all and if you were to get caught by him, I know he would take your gun and send you on your way. The last guy he caught years ago, he took his rifle, and said if you want it back, go to the CO and have him come down with you and then you can get your gun and a trespassing ticket, the guy never came back for his gun. This is no talk.

Harvey, when I say you can "expect" 100% of people to stay off your land I guess I meant that you can expect that NO ONE can LEGALLY access your land. I simply meant that you have fulfilled your legal requirements as a landowner. Having said that, you will likely still have some morons who blatantly trespass and disregard the law. You are unlikely to catch all of them in the act, but there isnt a single thing that can be done about that. No law or statute can help you there. BUT, if you do catch someone, at least you can prosecute them and that will make them think twice next time.

In the meantime, your thorough posting job that follows the letter of the law will be appreciated by MANY, including myself. It makes it much easier for us as hunters to seek the permission you want us to seek as landowners. It's that simple. Help us help you.

a guy I've hunted with was blind to trespassing signs for years until he got caught and prosecuted. Had to go to court pay fine etc. He 100% does not anymore.

I think some need a little educating - A no trespassing sign does not have to have the full name and phone number - A signature only is fine (see i) below and does not have to have full name a phone number.

(i) are signed by the owner, occupant, lessee, or authorized manager; or

(ii) include the legible name and telephone number of the owner, occupant, lessee, or authorized manager; and

(4) either:

(i) are at intervals of 1,000 feet or less along the boundary of the area, or in a wooded area where boundary lines are not clear, at intervals of 500 feet or less; or

Trespassers miss this as well

(ii) mark the primary corners of each parcel of land and access roads and trails at the point of entrance to each parcel of land except that corners only accessible through agricultural land need not be posted.

I think some need a little educating - A no trespassing sign does not have to have the full name and phone number - A signature only is fine (see i) below and does not have to have full name a phone number.

(i) are signed by the owner, occupant, lessee, or authorized manager; or

(ii) include the legible name and telephone number of the owner, occupant, lessee, or authorized manager; and

(4) either:

(i) are at intervals of 1,000 feet or less along the boundary of the area, or in a wooded area where boundary lines are not clear, at intervals of 500 feet or less; or

Trespassers miss this as well

(ii) mark the primary corners of each parcel of land and access roads and trails at the point of entrance to each parcel of land except that corners only accessible through agricultural land need not be posted.

Yes, the signature is perfectly fine as well. I kept referencing name and phone number as that is the one that I feel makes it easier for the hunter to seek permission.

Pfunk I include myself in that needing an education part as I always thought I had to print, sign, date, provide phone number etc. on my signs. It's always good to reread the regs every year.

It is nice to have a name and number on sign though in case one wants to get a hold of the land owner for any reason.