• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2014 WY DIY Public Land Elk Hunt

Scoot

3 bulls in 6 days - that is awesome! With the quantity of bulls & amount of bugling in the area, it's hard to believe you guys didn't run into more hunting pressure. Thanks for bringing us along - always appreciated!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scoot

• DonBo

• Fishalittle

• Powerstroke

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing Scoot. I have always wanted to go on a casual elk hunt, but between your stories and NoWiser's, it makes a guy want to jump in with both feet.

I am curious about hunting pressure. You seemed to be in great area, but I never hear talk about other hunters. There is no doubt you know what you guys are doing. Is it just super limited in tags or are you guys on to something?

You guys ever think about offering some seminars in this area on how you got to where you are? Obviously you have to be in elk to make this happen but it is still only a small piece of the puzzle!

Seminars? Heck no! I attend seminars, not put them on!!! We've learned a ton about elk and elk hunting in the past eight years, but there are guys who hunted elk more by the age of 20 than I have in my entire life. I may know a good bit for the average flatlander, but in the big picture, I'm still a greenhorn. I've read just about every book written on the topic and constantly read any elk-related post on all of the archery forums. Spending time on the mountain has helped me tease apart fact from fiction with all of that info. But... all of that info is available to anyone who wants to take the time to learn it. It'll take a ton of reading, watching, and learning, but it's there for the taking.

Being in an area where the numbers are good and the amount of pressure is reduced (limited draw area) is HUGE! Pressured elk behave differently from unpressured elk. Plus, hunting in a place that offers multiple opportunities each day helps with the learning curve in a huge way. We got at least five years worth of OTC experience in our first year in WY. That's a big deal and we learned a ton from it.

I really think a lot of guys don't appreciate the fact that it's one dang tough shoot an elk in an OTC unit in ID or CO or in a general unit in MT. I strongly encourage people to hunt these places (it's a whole lot better than not hunting for sure), but know that buying points and hunting in a place with fewer hunters puts you in a much better spot to punch your tag. Not only are there fewer hunters to compete with, but more importantly the elk behave differently and are much more huntable.

That's a nice bull!!! ...and a great story! Thanks for sharing another of your hunting adventures Scoot. I think you guys have found the "Holy Grail" of spots. Congratulations to all of you!

Nels

Coach, see my reply above. We definitely bump into other hunters, but I rarely mention it in my posts. It's not usually too relevant to the story, so I skip those details. However, this is a limited draw area and that is a big deal with regard to likelihood of punching a tag. But... there are tons of elk in OTC and general units too, so it's not like one can't get it done there too. We went 2/3 in MT the first year we ever hunted there, so it can be done!

Congrats Scoot!!! All your hard work paid off big time!!! All three were beautiful elk!!! Thanks for sharing the story!!!!!!

Awesome bull, congrats to you guys for punching your tags. Just curious how many points did you have to get drawn in that area and was it you first choice. I will have 3 or 4 in wyoming the next time I think I can go but don't want to burn them unless confident in that area. You guys have a great spot. What do you think the bull to cow ratio was?

By the way, what camera did you use on your trip? I think I need something better than a cell phone next time.

Thanks for sharing again

I am with you on the reading and following the forums. It helps a lot. I think our major obstruction so far is the OTC units and the pressure they get. The area we go now we have been at 5 or 6 times and finding the hot spots seems to be done. We just have lots of pressure from other hunters and it doesn't take long to mess it up, not to mention our strategy in finding this spot was the harder it is to get there the better off we will be....that however is easier said then done!

We have one nasty canyon that seems to hold several good bulls all at the same time and then other spots where you will likely find the younger, less educated bulls.

From the sounds of it we need to experience the draw units! We have a fair number collected for Colorado and may have to look into other states as well now. Hoping to be able to put the father-in-law that started this hunting group into a similar scenario that you and no wiser had before he is unable to hump the mountains anymore. It would be the trip of a lifetime for all of us!

Thanks for the inspiration and helpful tips! smile

Thanks for sharing Scoot. You do tell awesome stories. I was high fiving with you I was so into the story. Awesome job you guys did on the elk!

That is just sweet. The odds of everyone tagging out on all 3 of your Wyoming hunts boggles my mind. You guys have a great spot, no doubt, but you obviously hunt hard and know what you are doing to get it done like that. Congrats, and I'm insanely jealous!

What is your bow/arrow/broadhead setup that you used on this hunt? Is it different than what you use for deer hunting back home?

From the sounds of it we need to experience the draw units! We have a fair number collected for Colorado and may have to look into other states as well now. Hoping to be able to put the father-in-law that started this hunting group into a similar scenario that you and no wiser had before he is unable to hump the mountains anymore.

fishalittle, feel free to PM me if you would like some help in putting something together. I have a few ideas and suggestions for you and might be helpful, depending upon what your point situation is.

What is your bow/arrow/broadhead setup that you used on this hunt? Is it different than what you use for deer hunting back home?

I shoot the same bow and arrows for everything. Because I shoot a reasonably heavy arrow it works for all of them. I do swap broadheads though. For elk I shoot G5 Strikers. They penetrate great and have been a very good head for me on elk. For whitetail and muleys I shoot Spitfire Maxx heads. I have been super happy with these heads on deer.

The first year I hunted elk I shot an expandable and I discovered why it was a big mistake. This is a highly debated topic, but after reading a couple thousand posts on the topic I can tell you a couple things about it. There are literally thousands of whitetail hunters who have shot a couple or few elk with their whitetail setups (including expandables) and many of them say "worked fine for me". However, if you talk to the vast, vast majority of real elk gurus who have been doing it for a long time and have shot many dozens of elk, very few of them shoot expandables and almost all of them rely on a cut on contact, fixed head. That jibes with the very negative experience I had with my first elk. I was fortunate to find the elk, but I put two perfectly placed arrows in that bull, one of them from 8 feet away, and neither had a pass through.

The first year I hunted elk I shot an expandable and I discovered why it was a big mistake. This is a highly debated topic, but after reading a couple thousand posts on the topic I can tell you a couple things about it. There are literally thousands of whitetail hunters who have shot a couple or few elk with their whitetail setups (including expandables) and many of them say "worked fine for me". However, if you talk to the vast, vast majority of real elk gurus who have been doing it for a long time and have shot many dozens of elk, very few of them shoot expandables and almost all of them rely on a cut on contact, fixed head. That jibes with the very negative experience I had with my first elk. I was fortunate to find the elk, but I put two perfectly placed arrows in that bull, one of them from 8 feet away, and neither had a pass through.

Thanks for the explanation. Your thoughts seem to jibe pretty well with those of the guide I became acquainted with on our hunt. He just emailed me a couple of days ago to reiterate his beliefs on expandables after having another client lose a bull due to poor penetration during the 3rd NM season.

Congrats again on the hunt. Elk burgers during turkey season sound good? I'll provide the morels to throw on top of them!

Congrats to you guys, for the bulls but also for the great hunt! And thanks once again for sharing - great stories!

Are you you friggin kidding me?!? I just read through from Rod shooting his bull to the end. What an awesome story! and with days left no less....

You are a modest fellow Scott. Your years of elk hunting may not be that many but it seems that you guys pack as many hours of hunting into your trips as possible and that makes all the difference. It all seems so simple until you begin to manage the logistics of planning your own hunt.

Congratulations again!! Wow!

Powerstroke, we hunt as hard as we can! I've started to calm down a little bit, but in years past I wouldn't sit at camp for one minute. Any time spent at camp was time we could have been chasing elk, so it was wasted time IMO. We train for and look forward to this trip for 51 weeks per year, so when we get it we try our best to take full advantage of it. As I get a few more years under my belt I'm trying to smell the roses more...

huntingislife, I'm running a Kifaru Bikini frame with a Nomad on it. I had a Highcamp on the Bikini last year and liked it. However, I'm a big fan of batwing style packs, so when the Nomad came out I sold the Highcamp and got the Nomad. I LOVE the Nomad! It's easily the most versitile pack I've ever owned and I love the ability it gives me to add, subtract, and totally change my set up. Plus, I liked it better for hauling than I did the Highcamp (which I liked, but not like this!) This set up will haul way more than I'm capable of and it's pretty darn comfortable doing so. It's a ridiculously expensive set up, but it holds its value really well, so I can turn it over with little loss.

Elk burgers during turkey season sound good? I'll provide the morels to throw on top of them!

Did someone say turkey? How do I get in on this? I like elk burgers and morels...and turkeys. grin

Scoot, is your profile pic from this hunt?

Nope, that was from a hunt that we did almost ten years ago now. That's my brother, a buddy (Slevy), and me. That was also a dang fun trip!

huntingislife, I'm running a Kifaru Bikini frame with a Nomad on it. I had a Highcamp on the Bikini last year and liked it. However, I'm a big fan of batwing style packs, so when the Nomad came out I sold the Highcamp and got the Nomad. I LOVE the Nomad! It's easily the most versitile pack I've ever owned and I love the ability it gives me to add, subtract, and totally change my set up. Plus, I liked it better for hauling than I did the Highcamp (which I liked, but not like this!) This set up will haul way more than I'm capable of and it's pretty darn comfortable doing so. It's a ridiculously expensive set up, but it holds its value really well, so I can turn it over with little loss.

Did you run the 4800 or 7000 Highcamp? I am trying to determine adequate pack size for 7-8 days.

Scoot, the reason for asking about the points was I don't want to waste money accueing points for a good draw unit when you don't have to. I've seen some info on point creep and other units taking 6 to 7 points. Just wondering if you had a horseshoe like Jim had and got drawn for a spectacular spot against all odds.

I did love the OTC tag in colorado.

I appreciate the time you take for these threads. I have to say if it wasn't for jims threads and yours, I wouldnt had the direction to achieve my own western hunt. Like most others out there reading this. It's one thing to have the desire to do these hunts and another to just do it. I think being afraid to fail and the amount of work holds a lot hunters back.

Thanks again

Did you run the 4800 or 7000 Highcamp?

I ran the 4800. If you can't make a 4800 work for a Sep hunt that is 10 days or less, you're packing way too much! Plus, you can add a few hundred cubic inches with a couple pockets or a lid. You may want to consider the Nomad as well. I MUCH prefer the Nomad over the Highcamp.

HnH, I hear ya. We drew this unit by making full use of the points we had accrued. We're not lucky like Jim when it comes to lotteries! frown My suggestion is to get the point every chance you get. It may cost you $50 extra bucks, but skip taking your bride out for a movie and dinner one night and you're money ahead (stay in for a nice meal and a movie at home)! If you're getting points in CO I'd have different advice entirely- unless you already have a 15 or more points there, don't bother getting more than a few in that state. WY is different...

I totally agree with you regarding fear of failure and lack of desire to put in the work to prepare adequately. These are totally different hurdles, but between the two I think that stops one heck of a lot of guys from "just doing it". JUST DO IT! That's my advice. It's so dang fun! Train, work hard to get in shape, and just get out there somewhere. It's so fun!

If any of you have questions for are looking for help let me know. I'll do my best to help you. I never give away unit numbers or gps coordinates, but I'll do my best to point you in a good direction. Of course you get what you pay for, but still, I'll do my best to be helpful! laugh