• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hunting reports....

nbadger23

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• B-man715

• nbadger23

• DonBo

• archerystud

Hunted 2 1/2 days this past weekend. 5 sits at 5 different spots between those days. Seen deer 2 of 5 sits. Blah. Did see some rut action though. Spike and a small multiple point buck chasing a doe around me. She was running with her tongue hanging out her mouth. 1st I seen that. She musta been thirsty! This was Sun morning. The previous evening I had easy 15 yd shots on two big does on separate occasions. After 3 days in the woods and coming home empty handed, kinda wished I whacked one of those does. Though I see plenty of deer throughout the season, it's not often I see a deer do the "runway walk" in front of my stand, pause for a long time without knowing I'm there, while looking the other way, and then turn around to meander off. Anyhow, when I finally decided I would shoot the first legal deer that looked over 120 lbs, they stopped doing that. Go figure.

A friend on the same property did see a huge buck and a smaller buck the day before and those didn't give a care about rattling or grunting or the does. I think it just depends on the individual deer on whether "the rut is on" or not.... Cuz that little spike I saw Sun morning was on a mission for some older women laugh

Hunted last night and had a nice eight come in and I misjudged him, hit him high in between lungs and back. Will look again this morning for a long time. Hopefully I get lucky, really bumming me out!

Where are you hunting to have two buck bow tags?

Where did I say that???

Party Hunting (as much as I hate it) is still legal in MN. AND I am NOT hunting in any part of zone 3!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Congrats on the buck archerystud!!

If you are in the right areas, Mn can be a 5 deer state this year. Congrats on the buck Archerystud.

"A “party” is defined as any group of two or more licensed deer hunters who

are all afield; hunting together at the same time;ANDall using firearms

(including muzzleloaders) or all using archery."

What's the definition of "afield?" Seems like a lot of wives are sitting in the house while their husband shoots a deer with her tag. I'm not assuming that you were alone in the woods. okay, I am! grin

"Party members who are not afield hunting with the individual who takes a deer

at the time it is taken may not legally tag that deer."

Please assume (whether implied or not) first that people are taking game legally here!!!

If everyone must know my father still bow and gun hunts IN THE FIELD!!

Good luck and hunt safe.

Where did I say that???

Party Hunting (as much as I hate it) is still legal in MN. AND I am NOT hunting in any part of zone 3!!

Why do you hate it? Because the "other" guys get to cross tag bucks? That sounds a lot like your plan.

anyways...nice job on the buck. Some people might need to lighten up, just because you don't have the opportunity to shoot someone else's deer for them doesn't mean you have to dog the guy that does. If my hunting partner would let me I would be glad to shoot his deer for him lol. Also don't just assume that he was hunting alone...why would someone put that on the internet if he wasn't?

Bucks were moving great this morning. Between my brother and I we saw 5. I saw three, a little would be 8 point that was missing the other side, a very large 8 that was chasing a doe, and a big mature 10, at 12 yards...that I managed to miss because my string caught my equipment on the way...so I'm in rough shape right now, lol. At least it was a clean miss. Only one was actively on a doe

Just had a beautiful 10 walk by at 55 yards, nose to the ground and on a slow mission somewhere cry

Had the first deer of the day walk by. A would be eight point, but one side of his rack just had two small tines growing out of the base. Looked like a 2.5 year old deer.

Just got back from hunting, clothes are drying. Got to my stand nice and early this morning, quiet and comfortable by 5:30. Was hoping a couple of these bucks that have been on camera working scrapes early in the morning would stop by and keep me entertained until daylight. Unfortunately I was deerless all morning. Gonna be heading to another property in 30, good luck everybody!

I would love to hear more reports of deer moving. Got a few meetings friday morning at work then out to the stand by 9 to sit for the rest of the day. Would love to make something happen before saturday.

Just got in the stand. About 1.5" of snow on the ground and still snowing. No tracks in the snow. 76 pics on my cam since Sunday night.

Biff,

Just curious, what city do you hunt closest to (where it snowed 1.5 inches so far)? I hunt a bit NE of Mora so I was wondering how far you are from there.

Sat from 6:30 am to 10:30 am yesterday and 11:30 am to 5:30 pm today and didn't see a thing.

This past Sunday my dad and brother sat on our two food plots and saw 13 different does and fawns.

Guess the bucks in our area aren't attracted to the opposite sex??? crazy

Brian

I was out last night and had 3 different pairs of does walk by with no bucks in tow. Sooner or later Mr. horny will be with one of them. I thought the wind was gonna knock my 3' oak tree my stand is on over. Never thought a big tree like that would move the way it did. Gonna give it a try again tomorrow afternoon.

Well your monicure is SmellEsox! laugh

I sat tonight in the snow, beautiful yet quite wet.

What a great night for seeing deer though, between 4:30-5, I had a train of 12 does/fawns work past my stand passing on all of course. For the first time on this property (this season) I did not see a buck. Kinda backwards considering the time of year.

I'll be back tomorrow for one last shot before rifle season kicks in.

Good luck to all.

Lots of bucks on camera right now, kicked up one deer walking in and one deer walking out, no deer on stand last night. Last sit this morning, strong winds have me less than optimistic but there is one on camera that has me going out no matter the conditions. Would love to get a crack at him this morning!

The wind does suck, it's the single worst element in all of hunting/fishing IMO.

That being said I don't think it will stop a buck if that sweet smell is in the air. I will be living in my tree the next couple days, I know it gets pretty tough to bag the big guy while sitting on the couch or staring at the computer screen!! grin

I was out Monday morning checking stand sites and the bucks were chasing the does around. In about 1/2 hour time period I watched 3 different bucks following does. The closest was about 20 yards away in open territory and he was oblivious to me being there.

I moved the stand I hunt most evenings about 30 yards the other day because it seemed that I was being picked out quite easily by passing does. At 3:30 he doe with the late fawn come by, along with another yearling doe they travel with. That darn lead doe picked me out at this new spot which surprised me. I as in a seated position in a tree that completely covers me and she picked me out from a trail behind me. The wind was in my favor as well. She's smart one!

5 does was the total for last night. I started to worry last week that all the does in my core area were bred last week given the activity that I saw. There was literally 1, if not more bucks with each doe that I saw. It's been a complete reversal this week with no mature bucks spotted and does back with fawns and no suitors with them.

I hope I didn't blow my chance last week. I will keep trying, that's for sure!

I just had 2 does and 2 fawns walk by. Now according to every magazine article I read mr. Big should walk by in the next half hour.

Guess I picked the wrong days to take time off this week, but I did that cuz I knew I would need to give my rear a rest prior to this weekends long sits. Made it to my second property around 12:30 yesterday, was still raining hard. As I was getting ready I had another nearby hunter drive by, and we chatted for about 15 minutes. Seems as though I talked him into hunting that evening. He said he wasn't seeing much throughout the week and didn't know if they would be on the move with rain. I hope he saw something, because the weather was garbage. Down poured the whole afternoon. It was fun talking with him though and he even offered to swing by after his hunt to see if I needed help dragging. He never showed when I was out of the woods, so I hope that meant he got something! Regardless, that is part of what makes bowhunting fun. We all have the same passion. Please remember that the next time you run into another hunter, be kind and who knows maybe you will learn a thing or two. I know I appreciated it, I was flying solo and it was fun to talk to another archer. I ended up seeing 1 deer on the day and that was at 5:10 about 80 yards out. Word is after that rain quit last night, the deer have been moving like nuts. Should make for a good weekend of hunting, if we have some moderate conditions without too much wind. I prefer to shoot one with my bow, but if daddy dandy provides me with an opportunity this weekend, I will take it. Good luck everybody!