• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hunting reports....

nbadger23

Just had a tiny six point walk by.

That makes 5 bucks for the day so far..... Nothing even close to big yet though....

Ended up seeing 2 more bucks yesterday, a doe, and a doe with a fawn. One was a small 8 with a messed up rack, he walked the doe's 20 minute old track grunting and rubbing trees as he went.

The last buck I seen was by far the biggest, 2.5 year old that was probably around 100" or so 8 point. He came strolling by at last light also grunting along the way. Looks to be a nice deer next year.

All the midday activity was from 1.5 year old bucks where I was at. I'm taking today off to sight in my rifles and go duck hunting this afternnon.

I have the whole week off and plan to again sit all day on Monday and Wednesday.

Good luck fellas, it's only going to get better from here!!!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• B-man715

• nbadger23

• DonBo

• archerystud

Yesterday evening, had a nice wide thick 8 pointer (guessing 130's) at 70 yards. When I went back to my truck the CO was there waiting for me. We talked for a while and he told me that while he was waiting for me to come out of the woods he saw a nice buck out in the corn stalks. Turns out it was a different buck but came out of the woods within 100 yards of my stand.

This morning on the way to where I hunt there were deer out moving all over. Got to my stand and saw nothing for the first 45 minutes. I am not a fan of rattling or grunting as I feel it is over done and scares more deer than it draws in. With all the deer I saw moving before shooting light I figured I should give it a shot. I barely start rattling and I see a deer sprinting through the brush. It is the nice buck I saw last evening. By the time I get my bow in my hand he is in the opening looking my direction, he is at 25 yards. After he stands and looks for 30 seconds or so without giving me an opportunity to draw, he turns and walks away quickly. I tried grunting at him but that just sped him up.

In this area the bucks are moving, but not really chasing does yet.

neighbor boy shot a six this morning that was all alone. Sitting here on the couch I get a call from the neighbor and a huge buck just moved between our 2 houses. Enormous 10 point casually strolling through the yard in no particular hurry at 915 this morning. It is heating up!

Tunrevir~

Only saw a doe and a fawn last night strolling by. They ended up going down wind of me (why don't they go where they're supposed to!!!) but never winded me thankfully.

Saw one very large buck at 730 today strolling through the woods nose to the ground, to far for a shot and ignored my grunts. Has 2 coyotes come through shortly after. Sitting the truck now eating alittle lunch heading back out in a few sure hope the evening pickups!!

Nothing yesterday or this morning. Checked the cam and had a tall spike with one side broke off at 3am. No deer besides this has came through in the last couple days. I'm in a nice little funnel area. I'll give er a go again this afternoon.

First time up in the tree stand for me this year. Making it an all day sit. Had a doe and fawn come through with their tounges hanging out and 15 minutes later a 4 pointer grunted all the way around the base of my tree. then he followed the exact trail the doe and fawn went. I'm not in the best spot but I have a number of scrapes and a couple rubs close to my stand. It's just great to be out again.

Kicked up a nice 10 pointer while scouting out a new spot today. I did find a beautiful spot where I think I'll be sitting in the morning

Just got set up for the afternoon sit. The plan was to take advantage of the wind noise and hang a new stand in the valley. I started walking back at 1 and there was another truck parked in the field. Since I didn't know where he was sitting and not wanting to mess up his hunt I dropped the lone wolf at the field edge and went to a different stand with a good wind. As I was walking in, there was a 6 pt pushing 2 does under my stand. I found cover and nocked an arrow but Mr Big never showed. After a while they made their way through the valley and over the ridge so I could get in the stand. Tonight should be a good night.

Tonight was rough, wind was really swirling. On the file edge I could see the leaves blowing off the tree heading north, the same way I was facing, yet in the woods, I could feel the wind on my face and the leaves we're traveling south as they fell. Should have worked in my favor except the one deer that did come through was a little doe and she came in behind me. She did wind me and blew no less than 30 times in 10 minutes. I actually started counting when she wouldn't quit and I got all the way up to 15 as I was leaving. What a turd.

Sat from noon to dark at a WMA near lakeville. It seemed lie a good evening and I was set up in an area with good sound. Unfortunately at about 2 small game hunters started stomping around and blasting their .410s. I had one guy walk to within 30 yards of my stand but when he saw me he adjusted his route. Needless to say I didn't see any deer tonight.

I hunted yesterday and was shut out didn't see a thing til of course while pulling out on the field road there's Mr. Big on the other side of the main tar road. This seems to happen to me at least once a year. Tonight was much better had a 2 doe and a fawn come out across the corn field from me then 3 different doe came out from a different area. All 6 met up and meandered away to the west. Then right before sunset a spike and 2 doe came out in the field straight north of me. The buck pushed the 2 does around for probably 10 minutes then they split up and one of them was walking toward me and came within 75 yds then hit the trees and disappeared. The spike followed her to the edge of the field and I hit the rattle bag he stopped for a second then kept walking and I hit the rattle bag again and he stopped again to look my way but kept on after the doe. I still had about a good 20 minutes of shooting time left and thought I was hearing a buck grunting several times behind me but couldn't see him at all. At last light I was ready to go so I grabbed my bow and reached for my quiver and knocked the arrow off the rest and immediately saw a doe off to my right about 30 yds out never saw her at all. So I figured I'd give it a couple more minutes to see what happens because I could still see my 20 yd pin somewhat. Almost immediately I heard a buck snorting behind me to my left and he was love struck he must of snorted at least 20 times I couldn't see him at all and was ready fo Mr. Big to appear then I saw him and nope it was the fork that had been playing the movie star on my all of cameras for the past few months. Any way he grunted the whole time he made a scrape and tore up a couple innocent prickly ash trees. He ended up walking way towards the doe grunting the whole time. I bet that little forkhorn grunted a hundred times if not more.

Saturday was Ok, saw 2 bucks 2 does. Yesterday was much better, 6 bucks, 2 does. They were really into the doe decoy, had to stand it back up 3 times. Only saw one nice buck, tending a doe and couldn't get him off her. First time I've seen that one during the day. Son shot a decent 8 last night. Several nice bucks registered yesterday in Polk Cty Wi.

Hunting one of my favorite big woods funnels today in Wisconsin.

Haven't heard or seen any deer yet, but I'm looking forward to some mid-day action smile

I'll keep you guys posted!

Going on hour six without seeing a thing .....

At this rate it's gonna be a lonnnggg boring day in the stand......

After a week of pretty regular deer sightings it has ground to a screeching halt, which wasn't unexpected. 8 hours in the stand the past two mornings and nothing. Is a light dusting of snow too much to ask for :-)

Sunday night was chaos for me. Multiple bucks chasing does around my stand. Although I only spotted one of the bucks and he was a 1.5 year old. Old doe winded me (someone needs to tell the deer to walk on their trails!!) but she just trotted into the thick stuff only to be chased back out by another buck.

Scouted an area yesterday and saw a decent 10 pointer so I went in there this morning. Only saw 1 buck and I'm pretty sure it was him. Had him at 20 yards but was hunting from the ground and had no shot. He turned down one trail to early or I would have had shooting lanes at him. He came by at 7:15 but I never saw another deer after that.

Torn on where to go tonight if the rain stays away. Lot's of corn coming out the last few days.

AS, are you in a ground blind or just running and gunning using natural cover? The idea of hunting deer using natural cover has always intrigued me. I would love to hear from guys who have done this, maybe in another thread.

Going on hour six without seeing a thing .....

At this rate it's gonna be a lonnnggg boring day in the stand......

Still nothing...

But I did hear a car lock up the brakes, hopefully that means the deer are starting to move wink lol

eye dr,

This morning was a LONG hike back on some public land. There were plenty of spots to use as natural cover from the ground.

If the Buck had waited ONE more trail before turning left he wouldnt have gotten down wind of me. I was hoping the deer would come in from the south or east but he came from the north. Silly me, why would a deer ever do what I want them to do!!

Do you hunt from natural cover often? I have spots like this as well and was just wondering if it would be worth just sitting behind natural cover. Thanks for the report.

Do you hunt from natural cover often? I have spots like this as well and was just wondering if it would be worth just sitting behind natural cover. Thanks for the report.

I often make brush blinds from available materials. I also use camo burlap on occasion to make a quick blind. Shooting a deer from the ground, or even seeing one up close, is pretty darned exciting. It's also very difficult, but can be done. I'll be sitting on the ground tomorrow.

Finally saw a deer. A small fork horn, but a deer none the less wink

He came within 5 yards of my tree and meandered off.

how are you able to tell the age of a buck by seeing it walk by in a woods?

Body shape is the best way to tell. A rounded roman nose and swayed back are strong indicators. You can never judge a bucks age by his rack.

Well tonight was pretty interesting. I hunt a city management hunt, so I'm pretty much hunting the wooded part of a city park. Sat from 1 till dark and it was pretty uneventful.

I saw 6 runners, 2 bikers, a dog (that I rattled in) and 2 does at last light.

It was probably 20 minutes before shooting time ended and I heard something crashing through the swamp behind me. I could tell it wasnt a squirrel (again) and at about 15 yards I see a small doe poke its head out of the thick brush. Just as she does that, I see a runner go by about 50 yards in front of the doe, so she jumps back into the swamp. After 5 minutes or so, she decided it was safe and came back out in the clearing area and was grazing. Than I heard some more crashing in the swamp. I'm instantly thinking it's a buck chasing her, so I grab my bow. All of a sudden an even smaller doe comes bounding out of the brush and starts grazing with the other doe. I wait about 10 more minutes till I think they're far enough away than I climbed down and walked out.

No bucks but it was a beautiful night! Minus the rain for a little bit.

Anybody hunt around onamia? I have sat from 2 till dark the past 3days and haven't seen a deer. Just started leasing 80 acres this year and expected a lot better then this. 7 sits total and have seen 2 deer. Pretty bad.

Ended up taking a small 8-pointer tonight. Wife was on me to bring home some venison, apparently she is sick of tag soup as well. Heart shot him with a Rage and he went 30 yards before falling over. Now I'm just looking for "Mr Field & Stream".

Only 2 deer I saw today were bucks. Little too warm out.

Ended up taking a small 8-pointer tonight........Now I'm just looking for "Mr Field & Stream.

Where are you hunting to have two buck bow tags?