• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Peterson Indicted for Child Abuse

LMITOUT

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amateurfishing

• upnorth

• LMITOUT

• aanderud

I think they should just fine him the pay he received while he was out.
This seems fair to me also. Along with ear-marking that money for child abuse victims or education...

The NFL's biggest mistake in all of this is not having set guidelines for handling player discipline. Its all handled on a whim based on trying to appease the owners, fans, media, and general public. They hand out one decision but will change it the second the media and public show any displeasure.

Its in their own best interest to sit down with the players union and put together a rigid set of guidelines for handling discipline for various offenses. That way when the next situation comes up (and there will be another one) they can easily pass down their decision and point to the established guidelines that have been negotiated by both parties. No handing out one punishment only to change it after gauging public opinion.

They did this following the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson incidents, and came up with a 6 game suspension without pay for first time offenders. I would think it'd be fair for both parties to fine him the worth of 6 games, and move on allowing him to play against the Bears.

I realize they came up with the 6 game thing for domestic violence but they haven't been implementing it at least not evenly across the board. Ray Rice has already served more than 6 games and still remains banned indefinitely.

Even with the 6 game suspension in play they still didn't know what to do with AP before the case went to trial which led to the commissioners exempt list and that only came after a one game deactivation and reinstatement by the vikings.

They may say they have guidelines but they still look lost every time something happens and are left scrounging for answers that will appease the masses. They need to get a process established and stick to it.

As far as AP goes I think they have to let him play again. He's served an 8 game suspension and will likely have to pay back some if not all of those game checks but what more can they do as an employer? He's had his day in court and will pay the debt that the courts say he owes for his crime.

Hitting his son like he did was beyond wrong but how much more can you punish a guy. Does one instance of bad behavior mean you are no longer allowed in the league? If so teams are going to have to switch to 9 man football pretty soon because rosters will be cut in half.

Isn't playing for the Vikings for the remaining 6 games of the season punishment enough?

C'Mon MAN. Where's the love. I am going on a limb here -- I'll predict that if AP starts against the bears and doesn't get hurt the rest of the season, the vikes will be playing in the superbowl. Call it far-fetched if you want.

Yeah I know..........just after watching that sloppy game against the Skins I am skeptical to say the least. The Purple Koolaid is almost out of my system.

I would think that Peterson returning would help Kalil step back from the edge of turdville as well. He is really good at run blocking, its the pass blocking that is the issue for him and TW has been throwing more than he should. I am starting to get worried that if he has to throw the ball 40 times against the Bears that Jared Allen might double his season sack total of 1.5 for $32 million over 4 years with $15 million guaranteed.

I'll predict that if AP starts against the bears and doesn't get hurt the rest of the season, the vikes will be playing in the superbowl. Call it far-fetched if you want.

And the most purple cool aid drunk post of the year goes to.............. Lol

That one is pretty good, anything can happen but that would be a miracle.

I believe the Vikes record would have another win or two on it if AP played the whole year up to this point.

We'd have to play hella D and run the clock well to stand a chance against some of the high powered teams in the league. We aren't going to win any high scoring shoot outs against them.

I really like our young team but some of the better QBs in the league would pick the holes we have apart.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Peterson is old and washed up.

Peterson is a child beater.

Peterson wouldn't make a difference for the rest of this year.

Peterson should be traded ASAP.

Oh um, thought I was someone else there for a minute! eek

Quote:
The NFL rejected a request from Adrian Peterson's camp for immediate reinstatement following his plea deal Tuesday.

Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS -- The mother of Adrian Peterson's son agrees with the plea deal the Minnesota Vikings star reached on Tuesday and doesn't want Peterson's career to be harmed by the child abuse case that has already taken the running back off the field for eight games this season, according to a statement released by her attorney.

Peterson pleaded no contest Tuesday to one misdemeanor count of reckless injury to a child, after he injured his 4-year-old son in May while disciplining him with a wooden switch. He hasn't played since the Vikings' season opener Sept. 7 and is awaiting a decision from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell about whether he will face additional league sanctions or be allowed to resume his career.

In a statement, attorney Kelly Dohm said "the entire matter has been very difficult for all involved parties." The statement did not name the boy's mother but said, "She has valued her friendship with Mr. Peterson over the last seven years. She and Mr. Peterson have shared a parental relationship for four years with a fun, beautiful little boy. My client knows that Mr. Peterson loves their son very much and has confidence that he will remain an involved parent with their son throughout his life.

"My client asks the media and the public to respect her and their son's privacy. My client has no interest in Mr. Peterson's career being harmed and hopes that the NFL will not impose any additional punishment on him."

Peterson's attorney, Rusty Hardin, said on ESPN's "Mike & Mike" on Wednesday that Peterson never intended to injure his son while administering discipline in May, and while Hardin added that Peterson has not changed his mind about the usefulness of corporal punishment, he was sorry for what happened to his son.

"He loves his son. He wants to get back in a relationship with him," Hardin said. "He obviously hates what has happened to him and his reputation and the public perception. This is a guy who was incredibly active with his foundation, did all kinds of things for kids, had a great relationship with his kids, and all of that has just been tremendously disheartening for him. But on the other hand, he's an optimistic guy, and he's a workout fiend. All he's had time to do while he's sat and waited for this to be resolved is to work out, so he's probably in better shape than if he had been playing.

"He wants to rehabilitate his image within the public, and people's perception, because he and everybody close to him knows that it's a wrong perception. He's a caring and loving father. He loves kids, and he hates that this happened."

Hardin said he hopes Peterson "doesn't fall prey to all these publicized events involving other people, which had nothing to do with his situation." He said a grand jury informed him Sept. 4 that it had declined to charge Peterson only to return on Sept. 11 and tell Hardin it was reconsidering Peterson's case, three days after a surveillance video of Ray Rice abusing his then-fiancée surfaced on TMZ.

In conjunction with his first court appearance on Oct. 8, Peterson admitted to a worker conducting his drug test that he "smoked a little weed." That admission, according to ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder, could factor into Goodell's review of whether to reinstate Peterson, though Hardin said Peterson told the truth when he could have lied about smoking marijuana.

"I'm not saying he gets special credit for doing something the law says he shouldn't do," Hardin said. "People make mistakes. He made a mistake. That doesn't make it right. It doesn't excuse it. It does mean that when he does accept his responsibility, he should be allowed to move forward."

Quote:
The NFL rejected an attempt for immediate reinstatement by Adrian Peterson’s camp, according to FOX Sports.

Peterson entered a plea agreement Tuesday in a child abuse case in Texas, avoiding jail time. Peterson played in the first game of the season for the Minnesota Vikings, before being suspended for one game based on the child abuse allegations. Vikings officials then decided to keep Peterson off the field and away from the team to allow the legal process to play out. Since then, Peterson has been on the commissioner’s exempt list receiving full pay during the legal process.

According to the report, Peterson’s camp was in contact with the NFL regarding the status and progression of the plea-deal. The league told FOX Sports’ sources that a decision will be made by the NFL and Peterson would be informed of the decision once there is a conclusion, but there is no timetable.

The Vikings' next game is Nov. 16, when they travel to play the Chicago Bears.

Not like they didnt have several weeks to think about it and game out all the different scenarios. More poor handling by the NFL. Just get it over with so everyone can move on. No use letting everyone sit and blow in the wind over it. With or without Peterson the Vikings still have an organization to run.

I'm sure the NFL has plenty on their plate too. A child beating, pot smoking, baby manufacturing plant just may not be the top priority.

The NFL doesn't want to get over it, they probably made their decision weeks ago, just gotta milk it a bit first and pretend they gave it a long hard thought.

We shouldn't have to worry since none of this news made it into the "trending now" section, no one cares anymore.

So the NFL handled it poorly? How so?

Never mind we have heard it all from they should have kicked him out of the league for good. Too, he never should have missed a game its how they do it in the south.

The last part is usually viking fans or guys who HAVE AP in fantacy.

The biggest thing the NFL has on their plate is COVERING THEIR OWN AS%!.....AP will unfortunately have to pay for what likely will be the NFL's overreaction to the AP situation....I mean, how about a full season suspension, a fine equally his entire years pay, and have one hand amputated...That might, I say might, do it....Maybe not!

The NFLPA has issued a statement in response to the NFL’s decision to keep Vikings running back Adrian Peterson on the Commissioner-Exempt list now that his legal case has ended. Drafted in a way that avoids overt accusations or obvious confrontation, the message residing between the lines is unmistakable — the union believes the league is treating Peterson unfairly.

“Our union worked with the NFL, the Minnesota Vikings and Adrian’s representatives on a mutual agreement pending the adjudication of his legal case,” the union said. “Now that his legal matter is resolved, we believe it is Adrian’s right to be treated in a manner that is consistent with similar cases under our collective bargaining agreement. We will pursue any and all remedies if those rights are breached.”

In other words (and as a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT), the NFLPA believes the league has breached the agreement that Peterson will remain on the Commissioner-Exempt list pending resolution of his legal case. The legal case has ended, and the NFL has refused to reinstate Peterson until after the NFL completes its review of the case under the personal conduct policy.

Apart from being a violation of the deal, it sends a clear message to the NFLPA and all players who find themselves in a similar situation in the future. With the NFL and the Vikings desperate to come up with a way to keep Peterson off the field under circumstances in which neither the league nor the team could discipline him, the NFLPA and Peterson agreed to the use of the Commisioner-Exempt list until the legal case ends. Now that the NFL has gotten what it wanted at a time when it had a high degree of urgency to secure an agreement from the union and the player, the NFL is reneging on its end of the bargain.

In future cases of this nature, then, the NFLPA and the player should refuse to agree to anything. By violating Peterson’s deal, the NFL has shown that, on matters of this nature, it can’t be trusted.

That’s the most disappointing aspect of this. The NFL made a deal and now won’t honor it. At a time when the NFL has insisted that it will be getting its house in order, that’s not the way to do it

Over reaction to beating a 4 year old with a weapon...hmmmm.

.....while actually UNDERSTANDING what he did was wrong?!....mmmmm. if the NFL wants to make him a posterchild and throw the book at him, they have every right to attempt to do so, and in return AP should sue their arse for liable. He served 8 games, fine him, reinstate him, and move on. NFL has to set a precedent but cant if entire book is thrown at him right away.

Im all for reinstatement....i was just wondering how the NFL botched the entire case as was suggested above. Even though the Vikings, the NFl and the players union all agreed to the original deal.

But yeah the union does have a point now.

I say 2 or 4 game fine and reinstate him. If the Vikes dont want him cut him.

The misstep by the leauge in all of this is not making a quick decisive decision. Same in the Ray Rice situation. They pay more attention to media blow back than anything else.

My point in all of this is that it shouldn't be open to interpretation. Have guidelines established before hand that makes handing out punishment fair, uniform, and timely. No more letting players and teams hang in the wind while their future is being decided. No more making one decision and then changing their minds once they gauge media blow back.

So you would have liked to have had some set in stone deal made before he was found guilty or not guilty.

or just do nothing let him play until the court stuff was over inspite of season ticket holders fans and spinsor backlash.

Would anybody agree that its not that simple of a problem?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

It is a simple issue, once the legal process is played out the league mete's out consequences consistently.

It really is that simple.

The media mob is not qualified to deal out consequences consistently. For the league to give consequences based on the news cycle is an awful way to deal with someone. Emotional hype is the media's game and it makes them money. They have a vested interest in bloodying folks and to keep on doing it as long as other sinners ( smile ) will jump onto the media's hyped up bandwagon.

What AP did was wrong, deal out the consequences, corrective measures - legal and league - and move on.

the league is going to take their sweet time since the vikes are on a bye week that way they dont get criticized for acting too fast.

And now he just adds to the problem.

Prosecutors in Montgomery County, Texas, have filed paperwork to have Adrian Peterson's bail revoked and the running back re-arrested after the Minnesota Vikings running back told a court employee that he had recently smoked marijuana before taking a drug test Wednesday.

how come no one is mentioning anything about the pot he smoked prior to the hearing, he is also going to face some repercussions from that isn't het?