• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bear Baits

Coldtrack

I also have a sow with triplets hitting one of my baits. Would you guys suggest pulling this bait or keep baiting and see if a boar comes in? Thanks

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boar

• jay83196

• MahtowaDave

• Coldtrack

I'm overbaiting on saturday morning. LOL. I am giving some serious thought to underbaiting from now on though, maybe keep it to a half of one glazed donut. That way, I eat and feed the bears at the same time. It would be a heck of a lot less work, which I would welcome at this point in the season.

I also have a sow with triplets hitting one of my baits. Would you guys suggest pulling this bait or keep baiting and see if a boar comes in? Thanks

Have you seen anything else on the bait? Do you just have the one bait now? If not, its a cr@p shoot. Having said that, There is still plenty of time left, the season is just beginning, and you could start another site and have bears hitting it as soon as tomorrow.

Not saying that you would, I'm just going to say that I don't agree with shooting sows with little ones, but I know people do it, and its not against the law. just my 2c

I have three baits out. This is the only one getting hit. If no action at the other two by tomorrow I will abandon one and start another. Just didn't know if other bears would come in if a sow and cubs where hitting a bait. Thanks for the advice.

Trapper, you ever heard or knew Rod Goble? He was a bear guide in my area, and a super friend. I think he had bear blood coursing through his veins. He would tell me stories about back when he would bounty bear, could listen to him all day.
I new who he was. baited in my area also. wont say more. frown

How does rain effect things? Seems like helps if hot and with bugs, I've shot one in the rain and another right after a downpour. I hate that during baiting it washes my scents away any tricks to that? Stinky Grease seems help cuz it's thick...

Im keeping mine open but limitng the the amount of bait. Not wanna go threw feeding soming i cant kill but dont want the barrel empty if a boar dose show up. Its a toughncall. Causeni have shut them donw with sow and cubs an presto mr boar and no food, no food no bear. Ifnits raining its cool if its cool theyll move. As long asits not a down pour. Id hunt in it.

How does rain effect things? Seems like helps if hot and with bugs, I've shot one in the rain and another right after a downpour. I hate that during baiting it washes my scents away any tricks to that? Stinky Grease seems help cuz it's thick...

I don't like to bait in rain. To easy to bump bears feeding. Dang good time to hunt tho. I'll dump bait in a light mist like today but won't scent up because it washes away. Get it on next go around.

If you got other bears coming in plus sow cubs I keep going. Just add more oil/grease. That could be 12 plus feet dragging scent out in the brush.

I always wonder if I'm only fool out in rain doing it lol....hard not to, I take days off ahead of time and have to bait rain or shine or they get meals skipped for a few days then. I have a lot of competition in my area and seems like if not enough bait or often enough being fed they bail and sometimes don't come back to some sites. But I agree great time to hunt seems like.

Yeah thatsnwhatni was refering to was hunting. Baiting if its misty or drizzley i bait if its actually raining i wait to bait tillnitsnover and hit itnas soon as possible. I call it refreshining.hey smurf, whatnhappend with that guy anyway?

Yeah thatsnwhatni was refering to was hunting. Baiting if its misty or drizzley i bait if its actually raining i wait to bait tillnitsnover and hit itnas soon as possible. I call it refreshining.hey smurf, whatnhappend with that guy anyway?
mums the word!!!!! whistle let dead dogs lie!!!!

Great video. That gets ya going. Bear looks nervous. Another bear on the way in? Nice bear. Slow, cool, steady rain is O.K. to hunt in. Hate it when it is hot and humid, and have had less luck then. Exception was spot and stalk hunting out west. Rain often would get them moving in Montana and Idaho. Dreaded fog would often ruin that though.

Hmmmm...... twas 3 days before bear hunting opener, all through the woods bears were eating, some were eating the smorgasbords put in front of them, thanking the picinic basket gods for their bounty and sharing it with all the other bears in the area. Some were eating what little was in front of them, knowing they would have to come back sooner next time if they wanted to be full. Still others for some unknown reason are health food nuts and only eat natural foods that they can pick for themselves. In one area they were surprised by all the strangers walking on their trails from dawn to dusk. One bears said to another, "Silly strangers, walking within 20 feet and can't see me, I posed, I smiled, I wish I had a collar on with ribbons so they could see me and give me some nuts".

Ok enough fun for now.

I bait differently depending on the situations. Multiple bears on a pit, hunting with a bow = lots of food and variety. I do not want bears running out. My ideal hunt is watching small bears in the afternoon to pass the time and shoot a large one in the evening or the next day (I like it in the woods) that has presented a good shot because there was still enough food left and he eats from multiple positions. I bait differently then a guide did in my area years back, he would hang bacon greased meat on a tree every days. We were successful and his customers were too, some really large, some not so much. If I could, I would bait half my sites every day and the other half every 4 - 5 days. Conditioning the bears to every day can provide some very quick kills right after baiting, not really the experience I prefer, but it would be a nice fall back.

If I shot a bear within an hour of getting in my stand every time I hunted I would quit and find a something more challenging. I like sitting in tree solving the worlds problems and more importantly wondering what I will do next time to make the hunt even better.

I am looking forward to a fun first week.

Good Luck Everyone!

Yeah that site gets those every year usually they are nocturnal and i struggle to get them out during day time. I'm not hunting this year I set my buddy up he's never hunted bear before wouldn't that be cool first bear!

Lots of food and 3 cameras on one site, I like it!

We struggle to have a working camera on each of our sites, had 3 out 5 Primos ultra 35 and 55 cameras go goofy on us this year, they take pictures, don't keep the date and run the batteries down. Only used 2 years ago for bear hunting.

Big enough to shoot when the head flattens out like that one. Your friend should have some fun.

Lol yeah I have close to a dozen cameras i baught over the years you can never have enough! I always miss good pictures so the more I have at a site I get good shots not just heads or butts lol. I'm little bummed I could have got a permit I had 3 pts just taking a break for a few years was fun doing some but not all of the work. I'm going to video his hunt that will be cool, next best thing to actually shooting it lol. I video taped my last one few years ago, it was cool.

Weird postering gota be a bigger guy out ther. Yeah i need to get more cams two. One on either side of the bait. My best cams have been moultrie m80. I have a moultrie that uses C battries and it sucks. Thought C batts. Went the way of the dodo. They drain really quick. Heading out to do the 150 mile loop de doop. Love checking baits. Still got two outa 5 that arnt hitti g.

full-37665-48705-stc_0800.jpg

full-37665-48706-stc_0730.jpg

full-37665-48707-stc_0844.jpg

here are some pictures i got. they are all the same bait sight. the one where the bear is standing,is moved because a different bear moved my camera so that is why you notice a different background. NOTE TO SELF... dont bait then touch trail cam and get scent on it

Jay,

Whoa. Nice bears buddy! Congrats! We came up empty again today, made up a batch of bear crack and are hoping for the best next time. Good luck to everyone, some very nice bears on here and very cool pictures this year!

All I can say is "BEAR CRACK". Worked like a charm for us. We had a bear on our mostly defunct bait within an hour and a half of unleashing it on them. I couldn't believe it. It brought up our hopes for opening day to see that as we jumped up in the stand. Had all kinds of day visits after the bear crack cooking, but no dice on opener. beautiful day, but no bear on the day we were in stand. The cool breeze and marginal bug factor was welcome though. What a great opening day to be in the woods.