• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bear Baits

Coldtrack

Checked the baits yesterday, and we got all 10 going now. two were pretty light, and two were hit good nothing left. the rest are eating bout half of what we are putting down. looks like it is shaping up to be a good opener. I will say i'm glad I'm not sitting in the stand this year. The skeeters have been relentless this year!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boar

• jay83196

• MahtowaDave

• Coldtrack

Back up tomorrow or saturday to bait again. Its been an insecure few days given no hits last time. Took a day or so to recover and get excited again. Got a few more tricks up my sleeve this time around. Checking this site helps to get you over the negative thoughts fast. Ready to go with nothing but thoughts of huge bears on the bait! Hang in there Jerkbait, it aint over yet!

How much you guys baiting and how often? I putting out 3-4 buckets every 3 days. Im using Donuts candy trail mix meat oats and or dog food.

Same amount of bait, usually every other day. Some sweets, added meat/oats blend/dog food and some serious grease. Other miscellaneous stuff such as bread with jello/kool aid mixes, popcorn, syrups, molasses, peanut butter etc. Always leave a rag with fresh anise and give 3 loud bangs on the metal stand before we leave. Anise and 3 knocks are the dinner bell. So far, it works great for coons! smile

same baits you are using for the most part, but we are only dropping 1-2 buckets depending on whats left. we check them twice a week. and we use liquid smoke instead of anise, but same premise. scent is the key!!

I am using fellete minion grilled to perfection witj a sidenofn brussle sprouts and carrot slices. Then i will a souflete burlesqe with almond sauce. And for dessert my ultimate fave deep fried caremel ice cream topped witj freash whipping cream from france. Hasnt failed me yet.

Too much? As far as I'm concerned unless your baiting every day (a lot people don't live close enough to do that) if your getting hit and they eat it all your doing well if you run out to much and the bear comes looking for food and your out they just go look elsewhere for food and maybe find Billy bob baiting a mile away.

Too much? As far as I'm concerned unless your baiting every day (a lot people don't live close enough to do that) if your getting hit and they eat it all your doing well if you run out to much and the bear comes looking for food and your out they just go look elsewhere for food and maybe find Billy bob baiting a mile away.

We'll I run baits every other day. I'm down to half a 5 gallon pail. 100% hits. Baiting everyday is not good for mature bears.

What's the benifit/reasoning to running less bait? I'm putting out approx 3 pails every third day it's gone 100% when I rebait.

Keep them hungry wanting more. Why would I over feed them? I guess after 20 years I don't have it

Figured out?? I ur about 90-95% kill rate every year, regardless of berries etc. I've pretty much ran that routine forever. Switching baits, good stink, good variety in pail and staying out every other day is what kills lots of bears for me.

Well I can't speak to your kill rate, but your certainly arrogant that's for sure! I was simply asking a question, and just because somebody has been doing somthing 20 years doesn't mean they do it well, I know plenty of idiots with experiance! I do just fine my sites get hit 90% of the time I may not have been doing this 20 years (not that old sorry!) I have gotten one the last 3 of 4 times out and thr first time I let a small one go and a mom with cubs. I do just fine, I was curious, unlike you I don't know it all and like to hear how others do things to improve myself. Geez sorry I asked!

Going back up tomorrow after cleaning sites and rebaiting Tuesday. Luck came my way, a dentist someone knows has 9 sites going just looking for someone to hunt with him, we'll he found one!! Me!!

Well I can't speak to your kill rate, but your certainly arrogant that's for sure! I was simply asking a question, and just because somebody has been doing somthing 20 years doesn't mean they do it well, I know plenty of idiots with experiance! I do just fine my sites get hit 90% of the time I may not have been doing this 20 years (not that old sorry!) I have gotten one the last 3 of 4 times out and thr first time I let a small one go and a mom with cubs. I do just fine, I was curious, unlike you I don't know it all and like to hear how others do things to improve myself. Geez sorry I asked!

Hardly arrogant. Thought I gave some helpful advice. I'll go back to lurking. Read what your wrote to someone you don't know over the nets tell me who's the one-who-thinks-I-am-silly

"Why would I over feed them? I guess after 20 years I don't have it Figured out??"

Maybe I misplaced arrogant for another word that starts with an "A" at any rate don't see how the above sarcastic comment is being helpful in anyway. Whatever we can agree to disagree, I just say it how I see it. It's fine were all entitled to our opinions and or comments. I'd wish you luck hunting but I'm sure a guy with your skill set doesn't need luck smile

Qite frankley. What TP is doing works for him works well, makeing his bait sites competitive, bears gota come in early if they want the goods. I know of a guide over by red lake who dose the same thing.alot do, But guides do it for a living, I like having a buffette. I load it up, andnit works for me, i like less human intrusion ane have shot mature bear and not so mature bears, give me a 3-5 year old freezer bear any day. What aintnbroke dont fix it. God luck boys

I have tried that cut back thing before too and some areas it works and some Ares it doesn't. In my area we just don't have the competition like the pro does in his area. So like you jay and Boar I try to keep the buffet full so when the customer shows up he wants to stay. Good luck boys.

Boar, I don't doubt it works for him and may be a good technique, that's why I asked more about it I was curious. Just [PoorWordUsage] me off how I was responded too.

I'm better now lol

I hear ya clucking big chicken, funny thing about bear hunting. Its different everytime. Even thougb i like to load up goods, i also like to let the bears tell me how much they wants, and ive backednoff before, and then had times when itwas just to hot to wanna haul full bukets backnout a half mile and dumped it. Still shot a bear. My area has lower numbers than the rest of the state so less compitition. So keeping them full seems to work for me, plus if their full i feel they tend to not wander cery far to sleep it off, when they wake up their closer to my site that another baiters and will co.e to feed again. Works in mynsituatiin anywAy

Not really. All skill and experience I actually listened to the guys who showed me the ropes. Didn't think I knew it all after three bears. wink. But hey. Easy to talk big behind a computer in your moms basement.

No question. Loading up baits heavy once or twice a week remote. Is the best way to kill big boars. And I do that. I simply stating that some guys were over baiting. The idea is hungry and competitive bears. . I also gave pointers too. But you missed those. Hothead.

Point of fact I didn't miss those points/comments or I wouldn't of asked my last question. No question im a hothead but even more I just don't like know it all guys like you that cant be questioned,or act like they are superior to others and liked I said it p#&$*% me off. I'm done talking about it let's just have some fun conversations,or let others that's what this site is about.

Later

Twas the nigbt before bea.........never mind. Anywho... have new site that was hit for the first time last night sow and spring triplettes. Pretty cool. But not what were after.

Trapper, you ever heard or knew Rod Goble? He was a bear guide in my area, and a super friend. I think he had bear blood coursing through his veins. He would tell me stories about back when he would bounty bear, could listen to him all day.

Geez, what happened on here last night. smile All kidding aside, different strokes for different folks!! Were we hunt we have ran as many as 18 baits in a single year for 10-11 hunters. we do the same thing year after year for the most part. maybe try a new scent or something, but it has worked well for us. some years when the amount of tags is up, we have a little more competition, and that can throw a wrench in things. I get a lot of enjoyment of out sharing what I know, and what works for us. Good luck to everyone this weekend, and hopefully I will have a few pics to share next week!

Lol I reread it and it made me chuckle, I was half the problem letting it get me mad about it. Oh well, a little entertainment on an otherwise boring day smile I agree I enjoy hearing stories sharing ideas, I've learned a lot on here the first year or two I was bear hunting by myself I learned alot from a lot of the veteran hunters and for most part most people are always very friendly helpful etc that's what makes this site fun.