• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bear Baits

Coldtrack

I have seen mature bkwrs defend a bait site as yu mention but generaly after most of the naturals are gone. Their never far from either.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boar

• jay83196

• MahtowaDave

• Coldtrack

I've played this game WAY to many times, nothing anyone can do about him putting a bait next to mine but they put a stop to marking bait trails about 6-8 years ago. My warden gives littering tickets out for it, as far as ethics??? I don't think they exists anymore!!

It's been a few years since I've been in Maine but pretty sure you can't have a bait with in 1 mile of another registered bait, even your own. May be further I would have to check. I would like to see that applied here!!!

I'm not a bear hunter but have a question. What kinds of changes to a bears natural habits occur once they start hitting a bait? Do they keep foraging or do they just hole up close to a bait and defend it against other bears?

Depends on naturel food in the area, when ran with dogs off bait some years dogs jump the bear within a few hundred yards of the bait, other years they may cold track over a mile before jumping.

checked my three baits.. and one got torn up!!! i did not have my cam on him, so no pics! But will run a bait tomorrow and put up a cam. I will see if this bear wants to tango:)

The ribbon may be against the law, but unfortunately the law says he only has to be a 100 yards away. Legal yes. Ethical not. What a jerk.

Where is that printed!??? I have people set 50 yards or sometimes less. A guide hung a sign Friday and some fool dumped bait in his pit and hung there sign next to his.

It does say in the regs that a sign can not be more than 20' away from the bait. So marking the trail to a registered bait would be more than 20' away I am guessing.

Few years ago I put a few signs up on trails or roads 50 yds away from my baits reading bear bait ahead, I did it so people knew it was there and either wouldn't bait around it (I'd want to know if I was setting up around another) and small game etc hunters wouldn't stubble on it. A game warden ask me to take them down he said can't mark them at all just name info bait sign at station is all you can have.

Ya. that is the coolest thing when the logs look like that. Especially the logs you can barely lift thrown 10' away.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

After a while we just stopped using logs at it got tiring to keep stacking them once we had a hot bait! tired

We did keep a crib from the tree out on both sides so they couldn't sneak in from the side during a hunt and just dump a big pile of bait in the middle of the cribbing. Never had an issue knowing it was still getting hit, but you could always take a picture of your bait when you leave and check it to the picture the next time you bait or hunt to see how much was gone if your worried about it! This worked for us! wink

6 for 6 today, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 1 single. Nothing big, 200 tops.

Nice Budd! Save one for next year for me laugh. It will be my third point so I'm hoping I'll get a tag and can come camp in your driveway for a week LOL grin

Nice jay.hopfulky thwt bigun will show during daylight. B MAN yiu aint gona draw after youve had ur mug plasterd on HSO home page. Thats how it works youve had ur spot light now you in the shawdows. wink;)gringringrin

Couple questions.....the one during the day is that this or last years, looks bigger than other picture with cubs? The mom and cubs do people shoot mom? I wouldn't not sure if cubs live or die but think I'd feel bad, not saying anything wrong with think probably just personal choice...like shooting a doe with a fawn.

Those are 1st year cubs. 2nd year cubs are clkse to a 100 lbs like a big lab. Even tho 2nd yr cubs are legal even with mom, correct me if im wrong, might have changed and i missed it. its still best for one to let them go to gain as much knowledge from mom. She kick them out in the spri g to come into heat.

Nice Budd! Save one for next year for me laugh. It will be my third point so I'm hoping I'll get a tag and can come camp in your driveway for a week LOL grin

I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but you are welcome here any time brother!!

After 1 week we had 5 out of 7 baits getting hit with at least 11 different bears. 1 bait has 4 maybe 5 bears on it. 1 small chocolate, 1 medium, 1 large and 1 even larger bear. The large bear we nicked named shaggy because of a horse mane/colic type thing he has going, the even larger bear we named Griz because of a hump above his front shoulders similar to a grizzly. All the bears at this pit are boars.

The 2 baits that did not get hit are a little bit of surprise because they are the most remote from people and have done well in the past. One of them was opened by wolves. There are more wolves in those areas because of the lack of people then other areas. Not sure if that is the reason or not. We have added another bait in a similar area, it will be interesting to see what this weekend brings.

The pit with the 4 boars on it has a ton of blueberries in the area, so many I had to stop and gather some for myself while we were baiting.

We had a new behavior this year, at least for us. We re-baited the pit with the 4 boars on Saturday, went back in on Sunday because the camera had been set with the wrong date and was set to take pictures every 5 seconds. When we went into the bait it was covered up with moss, leaves and brush from our brush pile. We thought maybe the big bear was protecting is pit. Turned out it was Shaggy, he was not comfortable enough on the ground and decided to make a bed, guessing from the temp that night he was little warm. The last picture is Griz. For reference the logs are 6 footers. At least for now, the bears are showing up day and night.

full-5008-48610-prms0318.jpg

full-5008-48611-prms0392.jpg

full-5008-48612-prms0412.jpg

full-5008-48613-prms0432.jpg full-5008-48615-prms1801.jpg

Well, there you go Boar. He is waiting for Twas the Night Before Bear Hunting story. Nice bears Bwana

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Sweet, you much have some good bait as he almosts seems to be hanging around protecting it! wink

I had one one year sleep most nights at a site his head often right next to a white flash camera, the flash going odd a foot from his face....he didn't care he would sleep like that. It was funny as hell.

0 for 3 last night. I think I am still fighting the naturals in the area yet. Still seeing lots of blueberries last night in the on area. HUH Boar, I need more creative juices to flow for a good story.