• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bear Baits

Coldtrack

im in the ely area. and nothing has hit my baits. so i will be out there on Tuesday to check them again.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boar

• jay83196

• MahtowaDave

• Coldtrack

one bear has been chewing on my stirring stick about 100 yards from my bait and doing his business all over but is not hitting the bait. What does that mean?

Lots of naturals. It will happen. If i have supper from my own fridge. And take a walk later im not stoping at the buffet down the street. Or do u have site competition and hes full another site?

well I do not think I have any other people around me. I am pretty far back in the woods. Yes full of berries and nuts in the bear's scat.

WOW ProTrapper. Hard to imagine you have even 40 baits out with 37 hits!!! How do keep up with that many? You must have alot of help.. My Buddy (guide) Used to run 20 or so and it took better part of a day with a friend helping. I envy you if you can!!! Hey, out of curiosity. How many baits can a Guide have? Is it unlimited ?

Thats what I thought to! But it could be different if you are a registered guide. Whats it cost for a guy to become a licensed bear guide Boar?

5 out of 6 were hit today, big bear hit in the lite. Here is a nice little chocolate. We are seeing more of these around every year, my mom and son both killed nice chocolates in the past in this same area.

073_zpsdce1bf8e.jpg

WOW ProTrapper. Hard to imagine you have even 40 baits out with 37 hits!!! How do keep up with that many? You must have alot of help.. My Buddy (guide) Used to run 20 or so and it took better part of a day with a friend helping. I envy you if you can!!! Hey, out of curiosity. How many baits can a Guide have? Is it unlimited ?

Used to run a lot more baits than that. With the low lottery tags not as many hunters. I have helpers. I take three weeks off. Don't think MN is taking more guides on. They cracked down on the crooks. I'm state snd federally licensed bonded and insured. Three baits per hunter and three per guide license.

Love the color phase bears coldtrack. My brother was a hunting guide in montana/Idaho for 20 years and there were so many color phase bears out there when I would go with him that it was amazing. Of course, nearly all of mine were black there too! Got one beautiful cinnamon one year, but was smallish.

My son and I got hit right away on one bait. One solid boar, I would guess around 225-250? A decent sow with two cubs wont leave it alone. I baited on friday instead of saturday (couldn't wait any longer) I'm O.K. with the sow and cubs for now because they contribute 12 more feet greasing up the surrounding area. Cubs are tiny and fiesty. Cams turned in every direction and videos are mostly hair after the first couple. I head back up on tuesday again.

checked the baits on Saturday and we got 6-10 working good. Just dropped bait on Wednesday, so that was only 3 days, with some rain in there to boot. The baits that didn't get hit, are in an area that has a lot of raspberries and black berries.

Well I think big boy got spooked out, went in yesterday to put a good camera on that bait and it wasn't hit, noticed wheeler tracks going rite by it so I walked in to find a bait 300 yards past me!!!! Guy stretched a ribbon clear across the trail with this wrote on it. "bear bait in area, stay out!!

Coldtracks, hey dude that just is not right. Correct me if I am wrong though. Isnt that why a guy registers his bait besides the fact the CO can come and make sure you are legal. If yours was registered there first dont you have the right to tell the guy that your bait was there first and a couple hundred yards away and to move on and you will let the CO. know he moved in close to your registered site! Maybe I am wrong but that is one of the reasons you register it. I know I and a couple of my buddys register ours ASAP and that is one of the reasons why. MAN,THE JUST ISNT RIGHT! He is not a sportsman in my book!

Hopefully the bears follow the rules on his sign, and stay out! Ribbon? Cmon man, what is he trying to prove? Even if it were on private land, that is a little over the top.

Guy stretched a ribbon clear across the trail with this wrote on it. "bear bait in area, stay out!!

Correct me if im wrong, but I thought it illegal to mark entire trails. We just went through this a couple of years ago, a guy would put signs at the head of a trail, and then expect everyone to abandon their baits, because he had a sign on the trial. I would check with your local co. Im pretty sure they put a stop to it.

Ice i think ur right. I think one cannot mark trails with stay or bait site stayout ect.... id call the co for sure and put a stop to it.

The ribbon may be against the law, but unfortunately the law says he only has to be a 100 yards away. Legal yes. Ethical not. What a jerk.

I'm not a bear hunter but have a question. What kinds of changes to a bears natural habits occur once they start hitting a bait? Do they keep foraging or do they just hole up close to a bait and defend it against other bears?

None that im aware of, tyeybwont stop forageing naturals and it hard to bait when their plentiful. Specially acorns. Acorns drop and they always pull a houdini. Bear know what they need to survive the winter. What baiting dose is primarily give us the only managment tool for bear. It would be very hard to manage a population with spot and stalk methods only. Specialy in MN. Sows and cubs are always tue first to den usually late sept. To early oct. Even if ther is bait piles around. Mature boars will forage and hit baits til its all gone or a severe cold snap forces them to den. Even the if its mild temps afterwards the can and do come out to forage if its avaiable.