• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Otter Ice Shelters

Sam I am

And the insulation is no comparison between them. The Norpac insulation in the CC houses is superior to the quilted onsulation in the Otters. BUT there is also weight difference in them ad well with the CC skin being heavier. The white canvas interior also makes it a breeze to kerp well lit with led's if/when one wants more light.

I'm with ya, Castmaster wink I don't believe any Canvas Craft competitors have published a thermal imaging test but, I can understand why they haven't.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the trigger last night. I went online to order my new Resort and...Otter is OUT OF STOCK already?!?! So...I called up to Scheels to see if they were going to be getting any Resorts in and they said, "We already have them in and we only have three left...they're flying out of here." So, I jumped in the truck and got up there to get mine. It almost fit in the back of my old Tahoe, but I did have to tie the tail gate down.

Last year all the Resorts were gone way early...apparently Otter underestimated the demand for an $1100 fish house. I hope they made more this year. I sat in the display at Scheels for almost a half an hour...and couldn't find a reason not to buy it. So, I did!

IF they are out of stock and/or retailers have limited supply in Sept then they must have had major a issue or somebody dropped the ball.

I was going to buy that $1100 fish house. I told my wife I was going to buy a new shack and she says OK. I said its $1100 and she went nuts. Ended up getting the carry over Wild 2-3 man whatever its called for $550 shipped to my door. I only used it 2 times last winter so I guess she was right about not needing an $1100 shack. I use a 1 man most of the time.

Picked up my Otter 1200 cabin yesterday. Got it put together today. Everything fit perfect including the top.

They must have fixed the problem with the fit of the top or I got real lucky.

IF they are out of stock and/or retailers have limited supply in Sept then they must have had major a issue or somebody dropped the ball.

Seriously. I was on Otters HSOforum last month...everything was in stock...went back there and checked...3 of the 4 XT1200 shelters are out of stock on Otters HSOforum. Only thing I can think is that they shipped them all to retailers?

• 2 weeks later...

Assembled and standing tall and proud in the garage. Even got my wife to sit in it with me, but got "the look" when I suggested we "break it in". <sigh> Anyway, it's a pretty nice piece of gear. I only assembled 2 of the three seats as that will generally be how it's fished. Directions were straight forward. The only thing adverse I can say about the assembly was my fault. I mis-drilled one of the back support rod holes in the back flange of the sled. So...I have an extra hole for some fresh air. I may just slap some gorilla tape on it to cover it back up. Nice work Otter...happy so far!

Has anybody modified the rod holders by combining two Otter rod holders together so each fisherman can have the ability to put two rods in the holder? I think I may give it a shot.

Sam

I have mounted 1 in usual spot and then 1 on my Sportsmans Caddy and you can also drill a hole in the lip of the tub and put a rod holder anyplace you want on it.

I've had a Lodge sitting in the box here at work since last march. Bought it on closeout from L&M in Bemidji last year.... This thread has me pulling it off the rack and taking home tonight to get it set up. BRING ON THE ICE!!!

putting an Otter together is not something you want to do when time is a factor.

just daydreaming at work but...what if someone made a tub that was much shallower so it would fit into car trunks? Put the Otter frame and shell onto that tub so that guys with cars would have access to a good flipover. hmmmmm

Were there changes to the Otter lineup for the 2014/15 season?

None to the houses but they did add this little gem. full-39403-49673flipperhitch.png

It held up to to my towing needs, The one thing you will notice is the welds. Its not some stamped out tack-welded job, its over-built with continuous welds in the right places, mounts onto existing ball allowing use of your tow tow bar with no changeout. I thought it was handy, I could go from towing a wheelhouse to hooking up the train without beating on a frozen receiver hitch to change out mounts.full-39403-49674-flipperhitch.png

I was as Scheels today looking at fish houses. I wish the Lodge xt1200 was a little taller inside. I'm 6'2 and it would be nice to be able to stand and stretch without hitting the sealing. I noticed the comparable CLAM seemed to be slightly taller, though I still think Otter is far superior...except for the seats. Someone needs to redesign those awful things. Clam seats are way more comfortable...