• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It truly is tragic what Pelican Lake was allowed to become.

It never should have become a fishing lake.

It is and always will be managed as a wildlife lake.

The greatest thing to ever happen to it was the massive winter kill last year.

It will be an awesome day when the lake is fully drawn down and restored to its former glory as a duck slough.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jigginjim

• 20lbSloughShark

• RuddyDuck

• RumRiverRat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the 10/14/14 Wright County Board Meeting as quoted from their minutes:

"Bengtson provided an update on the Pelican Lake project. They have begun the process for obtaining bids on the Pelican Lake outlet. A pre-contractor meeting occurred on 10-13-14 with bids due 10-17-14. Bengtson anticipates the start of construction for the gravity outlet portion in several weeks with a deadline the end of December. The pumping portion will be the following year. The goal is to reduce the Lake level so that the facilities can be constructed for the pump station. Borrell asked how much the gravity flow will lower the Lake with no more precipitation. Bengtson anticipates this at about 4’ given the current level of saturation. The long term level will be lowered by about 3’ but the gravity structure is capable of bringing the water level down about 4’. Sawatzke asked why pumps are needed. Bengtson envisioned only using the pumps once every 10 years for management draw down (winter kill of rough fish such as bullheads). He said the pumps will allow them to conceivably take the Lake about 9’ down from where it is now. That would still leave two areas in the Lake at about 3’ to 4’ of water."

I drove by where the outlet will be and it is staked and ready to go and with that said I anticipate the schedule quoted above as moved up.

Thanks for the lake update. I know they want to do most of the lowering during the winter months. This would prevent any flooding issues with wetter times of the year since some water will be going thru St. Michael. Probably why they have the Dec deadline.

• 3 weeks later...

There are enough good northern and action lakes in the area. Just go to the MN recreation compass and start clicking on lakes. Duck hunters need this (I'm not one)

I drove by the outlet area yesterday. They have moved dirt east of the gravel road and were doing some clearing thru the woodlot where the ditch will go. Other than a few stakes, it didn't look like much activity on the lakeside of the road, but that ditch is already there.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

sure had lot of fun fishing down there.

Little mad? You have to travel 100 miles to even find a lake that compares. The people who have lived around here their whole lives had no say in the matter at all. Many of us have had our best fishing, best memories on that lake. Its now over, getting ready to be drained, and yet there has to be some of you that will poke fun at us. Where are your best fishing memories? You won't stay silent either if anyone decides to destroy it.

-Tom

I have Pelican memories. A big Pike on the wall and some pictures of my kid with his limit of ducks from youth opener this year.

Little mad? You have to travel 100 miles to even find a lake that compares.

I find it hard to believe that while living in MN, you would have to drive a hundred miles to find a duck slough that had severe winter kill last winter.

You can believe whatever you want, but have some respect for others. Someone shares their good experiences with you and all you can do is make fun of them because all it is to you is a "duck slough?" That is plain and simple disrespect, and I know you would not preach this in person.

-Tom

Did many of you forget that this lake was killed deader than dead last winter..... Why? Because it was a freak of nature for several years and it got what it had coming.

So how many years before it would have become the destination fishery it was prior to the die off? Any chance it would have a complete kill again?

How long do you play around with the lake before its just right to treat it for what it is? Its a body of water better served for wildlife. Simple as that.

Wow, pretty hostile post by IC. Surprised the moderators allow that one to stick on here?? Name calling and threats.

The government didn't do anything to the lake yet, Mother nature killed it off last year, just like she has done in the past. I enjoyed fishing it too, but winterkills are the nature of the lake. Plenty of other panfish lakes out there for me to try this year. I'll still support the local bait shops, as I still need bait for those lakes too.

I did call the DNR about what they netted after the winterkill. They said a few crappies and a few pike, but very low numbers. Give it a try I guess.

It was fun fishing while it lasted, never managed as a fish lake, with no way to lower water levels. The fish were able to make thru our mild winters. There many waterfowl production lake that will have some fish. The lake did not totally die, some northerns and panfish did make thru the winter kill. Until it gets lowered the fish will still be there. So fish while you can, don't worry about draining, just go with the flow.

I talked to someone tonight that firmly believes the lake was poisoned by the DNR last winter to kill it off secretly. Love it!!!! It is great what people conjur up and start to pass around.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

i might go set a couple tip ups out sometime. If I croak from poisoned fish you know it was true... lol

I talked to someone tonight that firmly believes the lake was poisoned by the DNR last winter to kill it off secretly. Love it!!!! It is great what people conjur up and start to pass around.

Where did you run into SloughShark at? whistle

Not me, I'm 100 miles away right now. The DNR wouldn't poison the lake, they hit the mother of all scapegoats. If they just pretended to not notice, nobody would point fingers their way when the lake when downhill. Not that it matters now. I just try to look at it as a push to explore new lakes.

Next week the dnr is beginning the construction on the giant walls reaching the clouds so they can forcefully change the migratory pattern in hopes that ducks will actually stop by... ha! D.N.R.= Dreams Not Reality

• 4 weeks later...

I drove by the outlet area today and the outlet construction is actually done. Water is now flowing out of the lake.

I checked out the drain channel, was surprised how open the channel is. I could be worth a cast or two with a rod and reel. How it will be interesting what happens with the ice this year, with falling water levels.

I have seen a few portables come and go. A few fish made the winter but I don't know about fishable numbers, a lot of water out there for a few fish to be plus no shortage of food for what's left pan fish wise anyways.