• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vikings 2014

SkunkedAgain

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PurpleFloyd

• CaptainMusky

• FISHINGURU

• RumRiverRat

I guess some people have a hard time understanding sarcasm. BTW he played in exactly ONE preseason game for the Niners. How many preseason AND regular season/playoff games (answer is 35 + preseason games) did he play for the Vikes and had ZERO? Just sayin'

Is it just me or does Cassel look like arse out there? Im only going on clips I see on TV but he looks bad. Mechanics look terrible, throws an even shallower ball than I can recall, this is going to be another bad offensive year, I sure hope Teddy steps up as well as our D, which doesnt look all that bad.

Is it just me or does Cassel look like arse out there? Im only going on clips I see on TV but he looks bad. Mechanics look terrible, throws an even shallower ball than I can recall, this is going to be another bad offensive year, I sure hope Teddy steps up as well as our D, which doesnt look all that bad.

If you didn't like Cassel's play and mechanics you are going to hate Teddy's.

70 yard opening drive for a TD and he looked bad? I don't think he was great but he's not a great QB, he's serviceable. I thought his passes looked good. The O-Line still sucks.

O-line in tough shape for sure yet.

Play calling was noticeably better than the four tecmobowl plays mustgrave ran every series.

Defense seems much more oriented to a team game than the me me me of JA in the past.

Still think Audie Cole should be out there before Jasper Brinkley.

Well..

I guess I hope Linval Joesph can make it through the rest of the season without getting shot again.

From 5

Quote:
Updated: 08/09/2014 3:39 PM

Created: 08/09/2014 5:14 AM KSTP.com

By: Megan Stewart

Minneapolis police were investigating a shooting inside a downtown nightclub that injured 9 people early Saturday, including a Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle.

Linval Joseph went to the 400 SoundBar nightclub sometime after Minnesota's 10-6 win over the Oakland Raiders in the preseason opener Friday night at TCF Bank Stadium. He was shot in the calf, according to a team statement, which also described him as an innocent bystander and the injury as minor.

Two people with serious injuries were in stable condition Saturday and expected to survive, police spokesman Scott Seroka said. He didn't know the exact condition of the other seven but described most as having minor injuries.

Police are still looking for the shooter. Seroka expected more information to be released Monday.

The Vikings said their thoughts were with the victims and that they were "extremely thankful" that Joseph was not seriously hurt. Joseph is expected to rejoin his coaches and teammates at training camp that will resume Sunday, the team said. Joseph likely won't be able to practice for several days. Vikings players had Saturday off.

Joseph is a nose tackle who signed a five-year contract with the Vikings worth as much as $31.5 million, with $12.5 million guaranteed. He's being counted on as a key cog in new coach Mike Zimmer's defense.

Joseph spent his first four NFL seasons with the New York Giants, starting 46 of 48 games and averaging 55 tackles and three sacks over the last three years. He was also part of the 2011 Super Bowl championship team.

The owner of SoundBar says the nightclub is shut down indefinitely. Safety protocols were in place and security is unsure how the gun got into the nightclub.

The nightclub was operating under a series of license conditions that required heightened security and other measures.

“Our business licensing unit has worked with this business (400 Soundbar), several times to address safety issues in this establishment,” Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges said

Linval must of just been grazed, a hole in your calf wouldn't be very good.

It sure was nice seeing some decent offensive play calls, on defense we seen more blitzing in the 1st quarter of a preseason game then we've seen in the past decade lol. It was mighty refreshing.

I was fortunate to spend a beautiful Friday evening watching football(and a few nice looking cheerleaders) in a pretty dang nice college stadium. Not a bad seat in the house. Can't beat outside football!

As for their first drive, well the result was good. Cassel was 5 for 6. BUTT...Patterson bailed him out on two of them. Jennings ran a simple route they've probably run a couple hundred times in camp. Rudy was wide open due to blown coverage. And the 5th pass was a swing screen to Asiata that was about 6 inches from a pick 6. Asiata had one really nice run, and there were no flags on the drive. Although Cassel steps up in the pocket well, he's not really that mobile. He has a slow, low release that is more apt to get batted down. I'll take a quicker "mediocre" Bridgewater w/ promising upside over an old, mediocre(at best)Cassel. I hope Teddy starts game one.

I agree the line isn't the greatest, but I'm not ready to judge their productivity just yet. CJ at LG is their weak spot, but Yankey is a long way from being an improvement. Looks like their lineup will be the same as last year. Just have to wait to see how the famed Turner offense will open things up and take some heat off them. It can be done. Musgrave's system did them no favors at all. Adrian should make a difference as well.

I'll take a quicker "mediocre" Bridgewater w/ promising upside over an old, mediocre(at best)Cassel. I hope Teddy starts game one.

We definitely need to see some more game action, I wasn't as impressed with Cassel as some people, the way the media is hyping that first drive it sounds like he's the second coming of Tom Brady.

One thing to keep in mind is Cassel is at his ceiling and Teddy is at his floor.

I don't know of any people who think Cassel is anything special,just playing better than the other 2.

As far as potential, that and $4 will get you a Latte at McDonald's.Bridgewater at this point has shown nothing special to anyone who is not clouded in the hope he will be the savior of the franchise and certainly not more than Jackson or Ponder did at this point.I hope the team finds a franchise QB and if it does end up being Teddy that is great but he is going to have to prove it on the field and he is no closer to doing it at this point than the last 2 projects were.

If you want to see a rookie take charge of a team, make pre snap reads and hit the open WR take a look at how Garoppalo did for NE . If Teddy looks like that next week I will give him the credit.

I DONT want to see Bridgewater start game 1. I would let him watch until Cassel has played poor for a few games in a row and the viikes are out of the playoffs. Who knows, maybe Cassel is good enough to win 10 games with an improved defense. I think Teddy needs to sit an watch and study for a while

If you want to see a rookie take charge of a team, make pre snap reads and hit the open WR take a look at how Garoppalo did for NE . If Teddy looks like that next week I will give him the credit.

I was hoping the vikes would take Garoppalo in the second or third rd before the draft. Im sure the pats will get the most out of him

I DONT want to see Bridgewater start game 1. I would let him watch until Cassel has played poor for a few games in a row and the viikes are out of the playoffs. Who knows, maybe Cassel is good enough to win 10 games with an improved defense. I think Teddy needs to sit an watch and study for a while

I am always interested in the whole concept of playing right away vs sitting. I can see the value of letting a guy sit if he has the physical tools but needs to develop mentally. But in the case of bridgewater, all of the accounts from the press and rubes is that he was able to read defenses, call plays, make line adjustments and all of those things in college. So if he had that stuff down and if that was what made him worth the first round selection, then all he needs to do is adjust to the speed of the game and that is only going to happen on the field.

So if he is what they said he is, I believe he should be able to go out on game one and play and do his learning on the field.

You could be right. I just don't wanna see him start game 1. He looked pretty raw in that first game. He's got some mobility it looks like, which is nice. More then Cassel does, thats for sure. I just think Cassel played well enough in limited time last year to earn the starting job this year. It was a miserable situation last year for him too with Ponder getting all those starts when Cassel was clearly the better option. Heck, his only bad games were against top 5 defenses from last year pretty much. Id just like to see them give cassel a chance to have a winning season. If it doesn't work out, turn the reigns over to Teddy half way through the year. I don't care how well people think he can read defenses straight out of college- its gonna take time for him to learn the NFL weather he's a starter right away or not

His first play from scrimmage was electric though. Sans the illegal formation penalty that was a play Cassel cannot make because of how slow he is.

He needs to have better pocket awareness but I think he did make good reads/progressions.

Yeah that is pretty much what is thought and said about the Pats back up QB every season. Cassel was talked about in the same way at one time. People also thought Mallet was so great last season, now after 1 bad preseason game he is chopped liver and since Garoppalo made a couple good throws he's the real deal.

It is a nice advantage to get drafted by a play off team and learn from a HOF QB. Some of these rookies get put in bad spots and are basically doomed right out of the gate. The real good ones can fight through it though, only time can tell.

I thought Teddy did just fine for his 1st time out. Couple of dropped balls and he held the ball a little too long on a few drop-backs which, actually, ended up being passer interference and defensive holding.

He wasn't great and he wasn't that bad either. IMO, he at least looked the part and had some pretty good hops when he needed to get out of the pocket.

Yeah that is pretty much what is thought and said about the Pats back up QB every season. Cassel was talked about in the same way at one time. People also thought Mallet was so great last season, now after 1 bad preseason game he is chopped liver and since Garoppalo made a couple good throws he's the real deal.

It is a nice advantage to get drafted by a play off team and learn from a HOF QB. Some of these rookies get put in bad spots and are basically doomed right out of the gate. The real good ones can fight through it though, only time can tell.

link?

Just so we are refreshed about the persona he has to overtake. It will be no small task to erase the heroes of the past from our memories.Look at the speed and that arm.

Everyone focusing on the offensive side of the ball, when the most important thing to happen in that game was the Vikings forcing 3 consecutive 3 and outs against the Raiders 1st team. Granted, Oakland helped them with a few penalties; but it is nice to see the defense forcing the offense to make plays.

It's still a new offense out there, O-line blocking scheme is different. Hopefully things get put together a little bit better. But 10 points on the first 2 drives without your best offensive player on the field is still pretty good.

The other thing to remember is it's still the preseason. Did Bortles look good? Sure, but he did it by exploiting the same hole in the Tampa 2 defense (that every QB does quite well - see 2013 Vikings). Manziel's preseason the only thing to look at are his from the pocket numbers. Preseason nobody is going to scheme against his running around. Coaches just want to see if the guys can cover, fill gaps, and be in the right spot for the base defenses. Carr looked pretty bad against the Vikes. In fact overall this week was a lot of bad football around the league. Well, except maybe Arizona, they played extremely well.

Nice post Nick...spot on.

For those of you making career assumptions based off the 1st pre-season game...well, the only thing I can do is LOL!!

Also, having Ponder on this team right now is a huge mistake by Spielman. We should have some young kid with potential as our #3. Ponder will not make the 53 man roster and should not be allowed to take any more snaps for the Vikes going forward.

I can't believe they don't have a young guy taking Ponders snaps right now...

link?

What kinds of links do you want? There are links out there for any side of any conversation related to football.

Cassel was drafted by the Pats and hyped up for years, then Tom went down for the season with an injury Week 1 from a torn ACL and MCL. Cassel had a nice season and was about to become a free agent, they used the franchise tag on him because they didn't know how Tom was going to play after that injury. There was even talks at the time that they should keep Cassel and trade Tom because of his age and his recent injuries. Instead he got traded to the Chiefs and got a big pay day.

Mallet was one of the "steals" of the draft, mastermind Belichick stole him in that draft, he was so strong in the last couple camps he could be a starter on every other team. Just as recent as right before this preseason game Mallet was so great in camp and this was his audition to show all the other teams how great he is. He took a dump and Garoppolo was solid....now there are already articles saying Garoppolo could be the next Tom Brady and Mallet is a turd lol.

Anyone remember Flynn? That guy could be a starter on 30 other NFL teams if he wasn't behind Rodgers. Everyone cheers for the backups, if they back up HOF QB's they could be starters on any other squad, if they are behind a mediocre QB they should be the starter. The wheel just keeps on spinning.

Nothing against Garoppolo he might be great, longevity will tell. Anyone can have flashes of greatness.

Anyone can have flashes of greatness.

perfect example is the video PF posted of TJack. Looks like Cash Money!

To those who are comparing Teddy's performance against all other rookie QB's out there...NFL Network said that Bortels faced a 4 man front last weekend with zero blitzes on all of his throws.

Teddy was blitzed on every one of his.....

Be patient with the kid...it's not going to be there day one...it's never been there for anyone day one.

The good thing is we will get another first round pick in 2015, we can make a try for another pie stain QB.

perfect example is the video PF posted of TJack. Looks like Cash Money!

Actually his name is T-Money!! Just ask Pier lol

To those who are comparing Teddy's performance against all other rookie QB's out there...NFL Network said that Bortels faced a 4 man front last weekend with zero blitzes on all of his throws.

Teddy was blitzed on every one of his.....

Be patient with the kid...it's not going to be there day one...it's never been there for anyone day one.

This ^^^

I have found out over the last few years that reading the "Vikings threads" from newest to oldest makes way more sense!!!! Go Pack