• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"Touchdown Teddy" Bridgwater

klecker

So for you Bridgewater defenders/lovers do you believe that at almost no point yesterday did we have an open receiver or tight end?? Even Blunder could hit Rudolph a couple times a game. This was the same Bears team that gave up over 80 points in the previous two games in the first half.

Yesterday Greg Jennings, Cord Patterson, Kyle Rudpolph, Jarius Wright, Chase Ford combined for 4 catches for 32 yards.

Obviously this guy is not near as good as they thought. They barely let him throw the slant, no back shoulder stuff, no double moves with a pump fake, no rollouts. He goes mock 1 through the progressions and checks it down. Never lets a play develop.

I wonder who was pushing so hard to draft him??

Another great example of the Vikings screwing themselves by playing a rookie QB too early. They did this with Ponder too. There is a small percentage of rookie QBs that roar out of the gates like Andrew Luck and succeed. The Vikings would be no worse had they used Ponder to get through this season and let Teddy learn what NOT to do in the NFL. The game is fast and he is young. He needed more time to marinate. Now he might just be rotten. Congrats on throwing away another QB with possibilities.

Hey Skunked, youre still going to need an arm. He just doesnt have one. Very Ponderlike player, without the balls to scramble and get yards.

Rodgers didn't have an arm either. Some development years sure seemed to help out THAT guy. Teddy needed time to grow into a man. Time to learn the game speed. He also needed time to develop his deep throw.

Saying it's not there is a very short-sighted view. The big question now is did playing this season destroy his confidence.

Arm strength is a cliche that gets thrown around far too much. You don't need to throw the ball a mile to get the job done in the nfl. Accuracy and timing is FAR more important. I'd put arm strength way down on the list.

Here is ranking of needed qb skills.

1. Decision making

2. leadership

3. accuracy

4. timing

10. Arm strength

Another great example of the Vikings screwing themselves by playing a rookie QB too early. They did this with Ponder too. There is a small percentage of rookie QBs that roar out of the gates like Andrew Luck and succeed. The Vikings would be no worse had they used Ponder to get through this season and let Teddy learn what NOT to do in the NFL. The game is fast and he is young. He needed more time to marinate. Now he might just be rotten. Congrats on throwing away another QB with possibilities.

Suggesting the vikings use ponder instead is laughable. No one would watch the games! I know i wouldn't. Teddy's a rookie. He's gonna struggle more then not. I would give it at least another season or two before he's considered ruined. Its so clear the offensive line is inadequate after this season, hopefully there will be change there next year.

Totally agree with those that say its to early to make many assumptions about this kid only a handful of quarterbacks have ever looked great being thrown into the fire as rookies. Speed of the game is also a big factor to adjust to every time you go up a level the speed of the game increases.

As far as arm strength I think he probably has a good enough arm to play in the nfl I would be more concerned with accuracy and decision making, going to be some growing pains. Its not like he has a Moss/ Carter tandem to throw to and he certainly isn't playing behind a offensive line that anybody would fight over, throw in a inconsistent running game and the kid isn't getting a whole lot of help.

He might end up being a bust or he might end up being a good QB but I am not going to throw in the towel on him in a handful of starts.

Cutler had at least 8 seconds on alot of throws..I counted..he is a savvy vet who knows where to run to get out of pressure. bridgwater was running for his life as soon as he got the snap on alot of plays esp second half..they werent prepared to play in all facets..kicking, punting, you name it..thats on the coaches...

Hey NoFish, thatd be a good list for Peyton Manning, but there is only one of him, laughable. No you dont need to throw it a mile but a 30 yard corner route is not a 26yrd back ankle ball nor is it a 3-5yrd check down/dump pass.

yiggin, I bet come Ponders 2nd year you were calling for a replacement but you want to give Teddy the benefit? Im not saying throw in the towel on him, all Im really saying is he has no arm and get ready for management style offense.

You guys make me laugh.

Rogers had no arm, haha, funny.

Rogers had no arm, haha, funny.
In that regard, he and Teddy had the same "questions" about arm strength coming out of college. Rodgers had several years to develop all of those things. Teddy was thrown in at the age of 12.

You make me laugh

The Vikings might now have destroyed the confidence of two first-round QBs. THAT makes me laugh.

Youre right, these 2 guys have no shot because their confidence was rattled. Couldnt be because they dont have the tools, or better yet arm strength, which isnt that important (if your name is Peyton Manning at least). If their confidence is "destroyed" from this or what those 2 guys have "been through" then they are lacking the tools to take the pressure that an NFL QB takes.

LOL, you funny guy

Yup, these consensus first round picks never had the tools. One who was called "the most NFL-ready" and the other who was set to be the first QB drafted until he got jitters at his pro day. Guys that did nothing but win in college. It just must have been dumb luck that the Vikings picked complete duds. You're right, it couldn't have been anything else but these guys were bad players. I'm so thankful to have your wise insights. Thank you. Thank you.

Here is an objective look at Bridgewater from the top sportswriter cover the Packers these days. Maybe in the words of Aaron Rodgers, all the Vikings fans need to R-E-L-A-X:

Quote:
Green Bay — Quarterback Teddy Bridgewater stood on the sideline in rain gear with a minor ankle injury seven weeks ago when the Green Bay Packers crushed his Minnesota Vikings, 42-10, at Lambeau Field.

The rookie from Louisville has taken every snap in the five games since then and will be at the helm again Sunday for the 109th meeting between the border rivals at TCF Bank Stadium.

A 9-point favorite in the Week 5 meeting, the Packers (7-3) are favored by 9 1/2 over the Vikings (4-6) this time. Green Bay has an 8-1-1 record in the last 10 meetings.

Since replacing injured veteran Matt Cassel onSept. 21 during a loss in New Orleans, Bridgewater has posted a 3-3 record in six starts.

"He's been good," an executive in personnel for an NFL team said. "He's polished and typically accurate. He won three games, all in the fourth quarter. He's got poise. But he has rookie moments, too."

Such as in the final 50 seconds Sunday against the Bears at Soldier Field. On second down and 3 from the Chicago 29, Bridgewater went for it all despite a heavy rush and threw the ball right to safety Ryan Mundy for a game-ending interception in the end zone.

It broke an interception-free streak of 128 passes. The 21-13 setback ended the Vikings' two-game winning streak and was a sour way to come off a bye week.

Tennessee's Zach Mettenberger leads the four rookie starting quarterbacks in passer rating at 86.2. He's followed by Oakland's Derek Carr (76.8), Bridgewater (75.0) and Jacksonville's Blake Bortles (72.2).

"Bridgewater has poise," the scout said. "He's still trying to figure it out. They lost Adrian Peterson, which would have helped him. The line hasn't been great, either."

Bridgewater passed for 317 yards and ran for a touchdown Sept. 28 against Atlanta, becoming the first rookie to win with a fourth-quarter comeback in his first start.

Returning against Detroit, Bridgewater absorbed eight sacks in a 17-3 home loss to Detroit. The Vikings also lost the next week, 17-16, in Buffalo when Bridgewater took five sacks and had a rating of 56.1.

"Just didn't look good against Detroit or Buffalo," a defensive coach for a recent Vikings opponent said. "I think his plan after that was to get rid of it quick and, if isn't there, just throw it in the vicinity of the receiver. He's done a good job of that. Didn't take any stupid sacks like he had been doing."

Bridgewater has been sacked five times in the past three games.

"He's not bad," the assistant said. "Average arm, not great. He can get away from you. He's not real fast but he is athletic."

According to STATS, Bridgewater ranks 29th in percentage of poor passes (19.1%) among the 32 quarterbacks with the most attempts. The Vikings run the ball effectively (117.0, 12th) but rank 30th in total yards, 29th in passing yards and sack percentage, and 28th in third-down efficiency and points.

Minnesota is averaging 9.7 points in its six defeats compared with 30.8 in its four victories.

Bridgewater ranks 31st in touchdown passes (four) and 29th in average gain per attempt (6.57). He has just three completions for more than 30 yards.

"I don't worry about Teddy's ability to throw the deep ball," offensive coordinator Norv Turner said last week. "I see it every day, and I think he is capable of being an outstanding deep-ball thrower. In time, we won't have to have this conversation."

Quote:
"He's not bad," the assistant said. "Average arm, not great. He can get away from you. He's not real fast but he is athletic."

Yep, sounds great.

Two horrible throws to start the game. Johnson was WIDE open on the second miss. And remember what I said about a shallow cross last week. Looks like it works. Imagine that. They should put Ponder back in.

Two horrible throws to start the game. Johnson was WIDE open on the second miss. And remember what I said about a shallow cross last week. Looks like it works. Imagine that. They should put Ponder back in.

A couple bad missis for sure, but PLEASE don't even mention Ponderous!

I'm still willing to give Teddy some rope. Heck, a LOT of rope! He does continue to do SOME things right...

Zach Mettenberger would have been a perfect fit for Norv (sit in the pocket and fire with the huge arm). I think a lot of the problem is that Norv wants to run a different style of offense than Teddy is used to. Its the square peg into the round hole. I dont understand WHY we dont use Teddy's mobility to move the pocket and help out the O-line and create some throwing lanes. Would give him a run pass option as well. Teddy would do better under a system like New England where you unload the ball in under 3 seconds almost every time.

Oh, and ic that he completed a slant to CP yesterday. About time.

What I don't get is why he's so hesitant to run. Wonder if it's the coaches telling him not to run at all costs to avoid injury, or Teddy just trying to be a pure pocket passer. None the less it's very frustrating seeing a very mobile quarterback refuse to use his legs when he has a lot of room for a first down, and instead throwing it out of bounds.

Yeah I agree.

No doubt in my mind we are a game or 2 better if we had Manziel at QB.

Based off big running play potential and there is no chance J-Football misses all the deep throws to wide open receiver's that Teddy has.

Yeah I agree.

Based off big running play potential and there is no chance J-Football misses all the deep throws to wide open receiver's that Teddy has.

winnerchickdinner_zpsfe7e0c5a.jpg

What I don't get is why he's so hesitant to run. Wonder if it's the coaches telling him not to run at all costs to avoid injury, or Teddy just trying to be a pure pocket passer. None the less it's very frustrating seeing a very mobile quarterback refuse to use his legs when he has a lot of room for a first down, and instead throwing it out of bounds.

Yes, he has left some yards on the field, and that sure can be frustrating, but I think the coaches are being VERY careful with him (we are, after all, one hit away from starting Ponder, and that is NOT an upgrade no matter how some people try to spin it). More to the point, though, he is trying to learn how to be a pocket passer, not a scrambler. Pocket passers win championships, scrambling quarterbacks wear knee braces. I think once he learns how to throw receivers open instead of waiting for them to GET open, he'll excel in this league. He missed a few throws BADLY yesterday, but he made some great throws, too, and his poise is awesome. He has a great deal to learn yet, but yesterday was another encouraging outing if you are being realistic and not expecting him to be Peyton Manning by now.

For the record, I won't be a hater for hater's sake and trash Johnny Football, but I can promise if he resorts to running and winging it as much as he did in college, he'll be the next RGIII or he'll own one of Favre's records. Not the TD one, either...

Cassell getting hurt and Peterson being gone certainly has made for much more growing pain than was likely planned. It's too bad that stud Hoyer that is keeping sure fire hof rookie qb on the bench wasn't available for vikes to pick up so teddy could ease into playing time. wink

Cassell getting hurt and Peterson being gone certainly has made for much more growing pain than was likely planned. It's too bad that stud Hoyer that is keeping sure fire hof rookie qb on the bench wasn't available for vikes to pick up so teddy could ease into playing time. wink

That hurts. It also hurts that he doesn't have a clean pocket very often. Your timing will never be right if you have to slide around all the time.

I think he's being over-coached. They are trying to cram so much information and new things into such a short amount of time on the fly. New system, new WR's, TE's, and RB's coming in and out, make shift O-line, we have no cohesiveness right now.

You can tell when we go up tempo with the no huddle and it's bang bang he does really good. That's when he's not thinking about the coaching and just playing the game.

I'd rather him take the bumpy road and progress in steps then possibly come out flashy and look really good and then regress.

Guys like RGstink and Crapernick looked unreal when they busted on the scene everyone thought they were can't miss next generation QB's after watching them the first few games and they haven't kept on that level. They are loaded with weapons all around them while Teddy is working with mostly dung.

Yeah I agree.

Yeah because he has shown so much in the league so far, maybe in a video game.

• 2 weeks later...

Teddy has really been loosening up lately, they have been going more up tempo and it's paying off. He's also been making some nice audibles at the line after reading the defense and getting us in good plays.

It's been pretty chilly and windy the past few weeks at TCF Stadium and he's been playing well in these conditions.

He's up for Offensive Rookie Of The Week again, he's already won 2 of them and this can be his 3rd. If he wins he'll be tied with Sammy Watkins.

Go vote for him........http://www.nfl.com/voting/rookies/2014/REG/14