• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 8 "Strut Busters"

sticknstring

Good luck string go back after them.

I'll be the first one to day I never pass a jake.Does not matter if I have two tags or one. I have taken many more longbeards but my jake count is up ther. The still play the game the same way and still put on a show. Oh and they tasted good. I do say it was just a jake or anything like that. I just love being in the turkey woods. Tom or Jake will never matter to me. I'm hoping a few come by this week over in WI.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sticknstring

• x1957x

• monstermoose78

• ANYFISH2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I got set up and called a few times and had gobbles come back. Then a heard something and I watched the neighbor chop his corn down. Then he decided to disk it up today. I just packed up and will try again tomorrow.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

They LOVE those freshly plowed fields. Hit it again ASAP.

Yep. Sometimes they're in it before the tractor is out of it.

I will go tomorrow and give it go

grubs and worms are the attraction ?

I've killed them with then in their crop. So likely yes.

Well guys I had my chance I will give a detailed report in a little bit. I need to go check a few things first.

First of Donbo, archerysniper, sticknstring, and Borch you boys are awesome with Turkeys in my opinion and thank you for all the help!

First off I got up this morning and did my honey do list. I was packed and headed out about 815 this morning. I got to my dad's at about 830 am and started to walk out to the field. I got next to the pond and notice 2 turkey which I though were decoys and then one them went into full strut. I back tracked back to the house set up a hen decoy and called a few times. A gobble followed rate away. I thought I am going to shoot a turkey off the deck of my old mans. I got one more gobble and nothing for an hour. I decided to head out to the field and set up.

I got out to the field and set up my blind next to the oak tree in the middle of the field. I was in my blind about 930 and with one hen decoy set out. I called a few times and never heard a gobble. About 1015 I heard a noise it sounded like the wind blowing. I about jumped off my chair then it happened again. I knew it was close, but I could not see it. I got my crossbow up and ready then I see a beak peak out from the corner of the window. Next was the head and neck. Then tail feathers, so I unzipped the window where the turkey is. The hen saw me open the window and it made some kind of odd cluck. The tom walked out to about 20 yards with no shot possible. He stopped and strutted at 20 yards. He turned broadside and I let an bolt fly rate over his back. A few choice words muffled and hurried to get another bolt loaded. I shot again as he just stood there I aimed lower, but used the 20 yard mark I sent him another warning shot just low. The hen had enough of my warning shots and headed west with the tom in tow.

I watched them chase each other around for while. I heard them getting freaky or that is what I thought. Then I notices movement out of the window facing west. The hen came rate into my hen decoy and made funny noises at it. The tom stayed where I missed him before. Finally the hen headed to the north and went just pasted my blind. The tom came closer and when he hit 15 yards I let another bolt go. SMACK!! The tom jumped up I bet 20 feet in the air. I could see my bolt buried rate where it should have been. When he hit the ground he and crappie flopped. I jumped up and flipped the blind over and I see him get up and start walking away. I watched him go into the brush. I waited a half hour as I would do with a deer. I followed a good blood trail for 75 to 100 yards and nothing. I thought I heard some flopping while I waited. I think he flew across the brook or somewhere. I searched for 3 hours and then I went and got my cousin and his hunting dog to see if the dog could find it. The dog went straight down the blood trail and stopped where the pool of blood was. We walked around looking for the bird hoping the dog would catch the scent. It was a no go. I do know his beard touched the ground and he had some nice spurs.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Stick with it, good things come wi th adversity and persistence.

Good luck monstermoose! !

That sux. These birds are tough critters. If they fly after the shot, there's little you can do but put some miles on your boots. Look under deadfalls and logs, in brush piles, etc. The last one I shot with my bow flew across a field and burried itself under a pine tree.

Like I said, tough critters, archery tackle makes them even tougher. As much as I love bowhunting, and bowhunting for turkeys, I gotta admit, shotguns are a much more efficient weapon for the job.

What a bummer Moose - sounds like you had a very exciting hunt! I know the feeling. Been there a handful of times over the years... it isn't fun. When they fly - there's not a whole heckuva lot a guy can do. Good luck if you make it back out. I've slept through my alarm the past two mornings now. Go figure, opening day I was up before my alarm rearing to go. I hope to get out tomorrow morning if the wind isn't howling.

Keep after them moose. That's a though break but it happens. These buggers are tough.

Sounds like you had a lot of action today so far.

Well after reading scoots story I headed out again this morning. I was out there about 8 am. I set up but this time I added a jake decoy again. I had many hens come in and talk to my decoys. One of the hens was huge. I drink my big water bottle and had lunch in the blind. I was seeing a hen at least every hour. About 130 I had to pee so I got out of the blind to 2 steps and hear something crack a branch behind the blind. There stands a tom watching me. He slowly made his way off, so I hunted until 3 pm seen a few more hens. However the tom never came back. When I was packing up I looked down in the cut corn and there he was with 2 hens. I will be back at tomorrow. This weekend will be the nephews turn with the shotgun.

I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me. Plenty. Claustrophobia sets in and you need get out to stretch, pee, move, packup, etc and there will be a bird within eyesight on a silent approach. Tomorrow is your day - good luck!

'57 - If I miss tomorrow morning, a call will be needed for the weekend!

Good. Luck to both of you. Tomorrow is both of yours, lucky day. Here's an official good luck hex!#####$#####$#####****----,to you both!!! LOL

Stick and monster, I'll checking to hear of your success at each break tomorrow.

Strut busters need you!! Enough with the suspense, the drama has been nice, but I can't wait to see your birds!!

I actually had a tom roosting on property I could hunt this morning! I climbed the big hill w/ all my gear and listened for 10 minutes to put a game-plan together. It was dead calm and you could hear for miles. Finally, a jake gobbled 80 yds from me. Listened for a bit longer and that jake turned out to be 2 jakes. Not a peep came from any other direction. Figured it was good as any, so I set my gear down, popped up the blind and walked it 10 yds closer to the birds. The birds were still talking and now in addition to the 2 jakes, I heard a distinct tom gobble a little farther down the ridge. I decided to put the jake decoy out. It was getting pretty light now and as I turned to head back to the blind, I heard it. The dreaded alarm putt! A hen that was only 60 yds away busted me. They settled back down and the birds started gobbling again on their own, but the damage was done. That hen pitched out first and flew down to the bottom. I quickly cackled and flapped my hat in desperation, but the rest of the birds followed suit and my morning went boom to bust in an instant. That tom was pretty fired up though and I heard him gobbling in the bottom right up until I had to leave at 7:15. Going to make a phone call tonight and hopefully be in a little better position for morning.

Hopefully Moose has better news today and will take the heat off. I've never been much good under pressure! smile

...and my morning went boom to bust in an instant.

Oh, if I had a dollar for every time that happened... shockedfrown

+2 with ya, Don. IT WILL HAPPEN tho sticknstring. At least you know they are around and looking!

Sorry Guys, I went fishing instead. I thought it might be best if I let my spot have a day off. I did catch lots of fish!!!

O yeah I will be posting photos again. I got another camera and took some advice from the fellas on here to get one from the pawn shop and get one the water proof and shock proof one.

Sticknstring. 57 here. Can you post a couple pictures in the photo forum for me. My son and I took my buddy out today on his FIRST EVER TURKEY HUNT and he got a good Tom. 21LBS, 3/4 AND A 7/8th's in spurs with an impressive 10 inch beard. Pm me and I will text you pictures of his archery Tom today. Thanks again..

Well this morning my nephew did not feel up to hunting so he stayed home. I went by myself which was okay.

Here is my set up looking south full-12169-45873-turkeyhunt2014.jpg

This is what is to my east

full-12169-45874-lookingeast.jpg

What lays to my west just beyond the tree line is a battle brook.

full-12169-45876-lookingwest.jpg

This morning I had toms gobbling this morning, but again they sounded like they were on the other side of the brook. I did not see anything until I decided to call it a day, because of the wind. I looked around before jumping out of blind this time and a saw a sneaky hen to the east.

full-12169-45877-sneakyhen.jpg

I waited another hour to see if she had a tom or jake with her, but she did not. My sister told me last night the coyotes were very close to the house. I did some coyote scat and tracks. I do not know if they would have chased most of the turkeys away. I do know yesterday the neighbor plowed up the field again making it a lot closer to the property line which is great in my eyes. I did see 2 hen pheasants and 3 roosters, but they would just run across the opening to fast to get photo.

I went back out Sat morning until 10am. Other than 2 other ground blinds, I didn't see or hear a thing all morning. Beautiful day though.

57 - PM sent for the pics.

Sticknstring, besides the buddy, my grandson shot a 25lb, with four beards at 10.25,6.25,and 5.175, and 5.00 with 1" spurs on each foot. He's pumped but not like his grandpa! Got some awsome video of him shooting it at appx 11+ yards. Took 3 and a half hours to finally commit to the decoys! Thanks and I sent you back a message.

Wow 57 that is heck of turkey Congrats to him.