• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cliff Wagenbach

• Great Outdoors

• delcecchi

• NilesBayHusker

RoosterMan, it is a web cam from my deck. Just installed it last weekend.

Good news Darrel!

I heard that there is also open water by HooDoo Point! I will have to take a drive over there to see this morning.

Cliff

Del,

Casey wrote,

PS... who the heck is HUFF and why does his two cents matter in the Outdoor News? numbers in Wake Em Up and big fish in Pike Bay? WOW........

I don't read the Outdoor News much and it may be less now. Basically the guy said he would fish walleye on the opener from Taylors Island to Black Bay for good numbers and the Pike Bay area for large ones.

I, for one hope he's right! smile And all you east enders thought it was the other way wink

How high is the water going to be compared to last year? Are we going to have dock pallets floating all over the lake?

I didnt see any ice on pike bay last opener! There were some small chunks but no real ice that I ran into.. this yr its THICK! Remember the -40 we had for wks.. yea that makes the ice thicker! It will take a miracle for it to even be fishable this yr...

Pike Bay will be open by opener! I think that we will also be able to fish Big Bay in many areas. It is looking very black out there from the McKinley Landing!

You have to remember that all of that snow on top of the ice all winter really insulated it from that 40 below weather!

Cliff

There was still alot out there today. Alotta grey ice so might be right on the line. It may literally melt all the way preopener night

Cliff, you and Casey need to get your stories straight. wink

Cliff, you and Casey need to get your stories straight. wink
We like to mix it up a little.......Just to see if anyone really reads this stuff! grin

Cliff

Everyone down on they're knees... pray to the walleye god he'll melt the ice.. OHHH LORD MELT THY ICE AND I'LL EAT THY VEGETABLES TILL IM 83.. THEN ITS BLT's after that......

Careful, lot of non-believers on this site. We don't want them coming over here from sillytown and praying....oops....wishing for cold weather smile

Iceranger, last year you had to launch your boat at pike bay lodge or the houseboats for opener. That won't be the case especially with all the rain in the forecast. I don't even have a boat thanks to my good friends at Aronsons until probably mid may and I'll still be fishing on opener. Go ahead stay home, like I said more room for me.

BTW, I'm sure they just wrote what the HUFF said backward. I just have never heard of such a person. Wouldn't mind hiring him for a half day get a few tips.

Thank you everyone for the reports, Pike bay isn't out yet, I don't see how big bay is going to be open. The webcams on the west side doesn't even show any sign of melting. sigh.., looks like we are rescheduling again this year.

Anyone have a progress report in Daisy bay? Headed up for opening weekend. Wondering if we will need to bring the tin boat with to beat on the ice and leave the glass home.

Links not allowed here but the Timberjay front page story is discussing ice out on Vermilion lakes and others in the area. Seems that there is a lot more optimism from resort owners compared to last year but still looks like it's going to go the bell. If you read the article you will see there may be a bit more boat traffic in Pike Bay.

Good Fishing!

I agree that there is far more optimism from guides and resort owners as far as ice out goes. Taking a big hit two years in a row hurts, but you have to look at things realistically.

I own a bait shop, got smacked last year, and getting prepared for it again this year with the highly anticipated bait shortage, and temps/ice working against us.

Expect the worst, and hope for the best is all you can do. smile

Still shore to shore white ice on Niles Bay and Frazer Bay. There is some open water now at Tim-buk-too, but it's still going to take a while.

Is Duffy open to get to all around the island? Have a cabin on the opposite side away from Aronsons.

Looking for a up to the minute live report from one of you locals. While realizing that there is no chance of the ice sheet going away by Saturday in its entirety. I am wondering the probability that a guy would be able to put the boat in Daisy and make his way around and down towards Pike bay. You can basically see that no matter how many times a guy pulls up the cams from up there, it does not satisfy the way a realtime report would. Any input would help all us guys stuck back here in the office a bunch. Thanks ahead of time.

Roosterman,

Probably not much chance that you will be able to make that trip this weekend!

Never know what the predicted wind may do though!???

Cliff

Pike Bay Angler ,

Pretty sure that you will be able to get around Duffy Island now!

Cliff

Here is the current view from the north side of Daisy Bay, it has really come along the last few days. I am still holding out hope, we'll see what Mother Nature gives us the next few days.... full-48098-45454-image.jpg

Thanks for pics, keep em coming! I am right across Daisy from you. Reminds me of 2008, and I think we may get lucky again this year! Nice wind blew ice out of bay night before opener, and was able to get boat in and take the south shore of Pine and went all the way to Pike bay. Big Bay was still all ice. Keeping my fingers crossed.

great updates!! yes keep the pics coming.

full-396-45461-imgp0201.jpg

full-396-45462-imgp0203.jpg

full-396-45463-imgp0205.jpg

Took these photos this afternoon.

First photo is the Stuntz Bay Landing.

Second Photo is McKinley Park Landing.

Third Photo is the Hoo Hoo Point Public Landing.

Cliff