• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Free Agent Thread

JP Z

Chong is aight, I don't mind him as long as he's not ahead of Patterson on the depth chart, that is just REDONKULOUS. He can stretch the field and get Jennings in the slot in 3 wide sets to help move the chains.

Our D is shaping up nicely, can't wait to see the new look, it's been long overdue.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zepman

• FISHINGURU

• Scott K

• BuckSutherland

Vikes sign another db, Derek Cox, from the Chargers. Another good move. All these players are in their mid 20's and in their prime. Now they can draft for depth, and if Mack falls to them this would be a great transformation of the defense.

Steve Smith to the Ravens..........Hakeem Nicks to the Colts.....

I like Smith with the Ravens, I think he can do what Derek Mason did late in his career for the Ravens.

Vikes sign another db, Derek Cox, from the Chargers. Another good move.

Really? He rated below Chris Cook and in the bottom 10 in the NFL...

Good Luck!

Ken

Charlie Johnson back in Purple...2yrs/5M.

I hope this is a move for OL depth and not back as a starter.

no kidding... johnson is below average at best. Hopefully for depth

LABS...

He had a down year last year...no doubt. He was asked to play in a different scheme ("Zone"). Just like the Vikes putting Robinson in the slot...he just can't do it. Robinson showed some real talent on the outside in his 1st year. Put him in the slot and he's terrible. They tried to make him replace Winfield last year and that's not an easy position to play. The signing of Munnerlyn was huge for both players. Munnerlyn will take the slot and Robinson can move back outside.

Check out his first 2-3 years in the league with the Jags. The kid can play given the opportunity and being put in the right situation. He's a young CB who's just needs to find the right fit and scheme.

Zimmer will give him that opportunity....

It is 2 years/ 2.5 million, not 5 million.

Guion signs with the Packers...I can't honestly understand this signing at all. He was graded out as one of the worst DT's in the entire league last year.

Any UDFA could do what he does....

Melton has left the SeaChickens and now the Cowboys are entertaining him. I like the Vikings chances of landing him after he's done with his tour.

The #1 DT on the market this year...visiting places with not much $$$$ to spend.

Jared Allen also in Dallas...I hope they spend their $$$$ on him and give us Melton. Tomorrow we should have an answer either way.

Melton, if 100% healthy, would start ahead of Floyd. The duo of Melton and Joseph would be huge and free us up to draft just about anyone we wanted to.

If they go defense, I like Gilbert in the 1st and Van Noy in the 2nd.

Take a QB in the 3rd....

They seem to be filling most of their needs in free agency. That to me points towards taking a QB in the first round.

James Jones signed with the Raiders...........WOW! I guess he was just following the money.

Vikes sign another db, Derek Cox, from the Chargers. Another good move. All these players are in their mid 20's and in their prime.

I agree. Many people are knocking this move and saying Cox is just being added for depth and may not even make the team. Granted, Cox had a bad year last year, but prior to that he did enough to warrant a 4yr/$20 million dollar deal. New system, fresh start. Could be a good thing. Zim excels at getting the most out of average players and elevating everyone's game. Here's how Cox stacks up against Cook who was somehow rated higher than...anyone:

COOK--Played in 34 of a possible 64 games (53.1%). O INTs, 13 passes defended, 123 tackles.

COX--Played in 63 of a possible 80 games (78.7%). 13 Ints, 39 passes defended, 204 tackles.

Even if we factor in 16 more possible starts for Cook with these same types of numbers, it doesn't get much better. Anyhow, after all that lip service, I am NOT saying he's a stud in disguise, but I'll reserve judgment until after our new staff has a full off-season to work with him and our other picks.

FA has been mighty good to the Vike's so far. I really was hoping we'd go after a better G and LB than Johnson and Brinkley, but we are getting younger/better at other positions and the draft is just around the corner. I think by and large we're building the right way for once. Excited to see this new team!

Melton has left the SeaChickens and now the Cowboys are entertaining him. I like the Vikings chances of landing him after he's done with his tour.

The #1 DT on the market this year...visiting places with not much $$$$ to spend.

Jared Allen also in Dallas...I hope they spend their $$$$ on him and give us Melton. Tomorrow we should have an answer either way.

Melton, if 100% healthy, would start ahead of Floyd. The duo of Melton and Joseph would be huge and free us up to draft just about anyone we wanted to.

If they go defense, I like Gilbert in the 1st and Van Noy in the 2nd.

Take a QB in the 3rd....

The Cowboys needed a DT big time...they must have stepped up and closed the deal with a better contract than any of the other 6 teams he visited.

He would have been nice in Purple....

Vikings sign DE/DT Corey Wooten (Bears) to a 1 year deal. Big, tall, lanky guy who is going to be very good depth and even rotational player. Can also play some DT if needed.

Very solid signing...

Quote:

Vikings agreed to terms with DL Corey Wootton, formerly of the Bears, on a one-year, $1.5 million contract.

Another $500,000 is available through incentives. Wootton is recovering from hip surgery, but expects to be 100 percent by July. Along with the signing of DT Tom Johnson, Wootton's arrival likely means the Vikings are closing the door on free agent DT Kevin Williams. Capable of playing both inside and outside, Wootton logged 862 snaps for the Bears last season. 535 came at defensive tackle, with the rest coming at end. With the Vikes remaking their line, Wootton should see time at both spots in Minnesota, but more snaps are available at tackle.

I like the Wootten signing. Good player, smart kid, nice size. Not a superstar but very very serviceable.

The Oakland Raiders will trade a late-round pick in the 2014 NFL draft to the Houston Texans in exchange for quarterback Matt Schaub, a league source told ESPN.

The Oakland Raiders will trade a late-round pick in the 2014 NFL draft to the Houston Texans in exchange for quarterback Matt Schaub, a league source told ESPN.

Good chance this takes Oakland out of the running for a QB in round one. I look for them to grab Watkins if available or the best tackle available. Clowney would be there first choice but will be gone.

I was thinking on the otherside where it kind of points that Houston may go QB in the first.

Jets cut QB Mark dirty Sanchez and sign Michael dog murderer Vick to a 1 year $5 million deal.

They are dreadful. Trade one loser for another and tell your second year QB we have no confidence in you. LOL.