• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Free Agent Thread

JP Z

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zepman

• FISHINGURU

• Scott K

• BuckSutherland

I would be very surprised if Sherels is on the final 53 man roster this year. He's basically a punt returner...very poor in his DB coverage. Yet, as a depth player, he sees time every year in the DB-field due to injury. This is why we're 31st defensively in the league. Bad (Cook) gets hurt and worse (Sherels) replaces him. Ughhh....

The draft is literally filled with CB's who can also return punts. This is an easily fixed problem that I hope this new coaching staff sees very clearly.

Thank the lord its not Vick. Now we draft a guy to start later this year, especially if we are out of the playoffs. It was the right move for the Vikes. Wonder how much extra coin he got from them??

EDIT:

$10 million for two years. Wonder how the deal works if we could keep him for this year and cut him next year??

Sounds like we got Cassel for a couple more years, Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Guru...I know you don't like Cassel but under the circumstances, this is about as good as we could have done this off-season at filling the QB spot. Vikes would have been Divisional Champs last year had he started all year.

Strike gold with one in the draft(yeah right)...let Cassel give the youngster some time figure some things out and then turn it over once Cassel starts to wear thin...

Cassel at least gives them a legitimate shot a winning games...Zimmer will get the D turned around.

Guru...I know you don't like Cassel but under the circumstances, this is about as good as we could have done this off-season at filling the QB spot. Vikes would have been Divisional Champs last year had he started all year.

I don't mind the signing really, just not very exciting lol.

There wasn't much out there and with some better play calling and blocking he could be aight. Makes us not HAVE to take a QB at #8 which is nice.

I think a guy like Sproles could make our offense way better and he wouldn't cost much.

I think a guy like Sproles could make our offense way better and he wouldn't cost much.

You don't think he would cost much? I realize he had a down year this year and is getting old but I would think someone would give him a decent chunk of change. It would certainly be awesome to have him. Should be interesting.

Why not just draft a guy like Dri Archer in the 5th or 6th rounds.

I've been saying for the last 3 years we need a "scat-back" type coming out of the backfield.

Sproles, or someone like him, would be awesome on this team.

I sure hope at this point we dont take a QB at 8 unless it is one of the three anointed ones, and I am not so sure about that even. Trading back and gaining more value would still be my play, but I only see a couple teams that would trade. I would not want to slide beyond 26.

Possible trades:

10 or 11 Detroit and TN. I doubt it, but you never know.

13 Rams. Cause they got a haul when they traded out of 2.

16 Dallas. Cause Jerry Jones is a donkey

18 Jets. Because they lack any offensive weapons and Rex's job is on the line

19 Miami. Because there GM is clueless

20 Arizona. Highly doubt it

26 Clevland. Because they stayed put at 4, we have traded with them before, and they are sick of losing and want to get two top 8 prospects this year and win NOW!!

Everyone in between is probably smart enough to stay put, and I sure hope we dont trade down beyond that.

Here is the draft value chart from Walt.

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

You don't think he would cost much? I realize he had a down year this year and is getting old but I would think someone would give him a decent chunk of change. It would certainly be awesome to have him. Should be interesting.

No I don't think he would cost very much. I think I read he made 2.5 million last year with the Aints and was set to make 3.5 Million this year, that really isn't much, we give that to players who don't even play lol.

He's not a premier back just a change of pace receiving check down guy, if you watched any of the Aints the past few years he bailed them out on a lot of plays and 3rd and longs.

I wouldn't mind a guy "like him" either, but with him he already knows everything and would be a game changer day 1 for our squad, he's also a return man. Be sweet to see him and AP together in a Pro Form, that would give the opposing D something to think about.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the ties he has with Norv in the Charger days, they already know each other real well and Sproles knows Norvs plays.

This coming week should be very interesting. Spielman has a ton of cash to spend and the Vikes have already been said to have contacted some of the highest profile FA's out in the market. Alteraun Verner and Michael Johnson...

With AP not getting any younger, I would expect them to open their checkbooks and get some deals done this week that would vastly improve our defense. I think they go after BOTH of them agressively. It'll cost a ton of money, no doubt, but they owe it to AP to give him the best possible team around him. The contracts they pencil in this FA period, and the draft, will likely be the final push to get AP back in the play-offs and a run at the SB.

QB will always be the key...sadly, I just don't see one in this draft that will put this team over the top.

Manziel, being the biggest wildcard in the whole draft, might be able to work his majic in the NFL and I would still try to do whatever it takes to get him. He's boom or bust...I get it. Take him and hope like he&& it's boom.

It'll cost a ton of money, no doubt, but they owe it to AP to give him the best possible team around him.

Really? Some obscure clause in his contract? And here I thought they only owe him the millions they agreed upon. Not sure why they owe "him" a playoff team vs. the other players, coaches or even more important... Their fans!

With Everson Griffen signing a reportedly large contract, you have to wonder if the writing is on the wall for Jared Allen.

Jared is out of here unless he gives us a really good deal, which he won't even though he should because we paid him out the wazoo and kept him through his whole contract.

Griffen should be ready to step it up, he's young and has decent stats for only being a rotational guy up to this point.

With the new Zimmer defense we'll probably be running a 4-3/3-4 hybrid so some of these guys might actually turn out really good in a new scheme.

Maybe the conversation with Johnsons agent has us thinking he's way to over priced so we locked up Griffen?

That would be fine with me if we are after Verner and maybe Sproles.

With Everson Griffen signing a reportedly large contract, you have to wonder if the writing is on the wall for Jared Allen.

The Minnesota Vikings have re-signed defensive end Everson Griffen to a five-year contract worth $42.5 million, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Good riddance to Allen. That is maybe a little more than I thought EG was worth. Now I hope we get another stud DT in the draft. Robison, Floyd, (Donald/Hagemann, etc.) and Griffen would be our line for a couple years then.

the vikings have already been on the record that Allen doesn't fit into zimmers plan. The writing is on the wall and its in permanent ink.

20 million for 5 yrs is the guarantee. Jared dang near got that in 1 year.

The rest he has to earn, and if he does he'll be worth it.

I can see him easily getting double digit sacks and being disruptive as a full time starter.

20 million for 5 yrs is the guarantee. Jared dang near got that in 1 year.

The rest he has to earn, and if he does he'll be worth it.

I can see him easily getting double digit sacks and being disruptive as a full time starter.

+1

Allen's agent confirmed that the Vikings told the goat roper to hit the road last night.

Cassel gives the vikes a decent offense. Its not the offense I'm worried about though... This defense is still well below average at best. Zimmer better be able to work some magic. ANYTHING is an upgrade over the cover 2.

Id like to see the vikes grab Verner in FA for sure and draft either DL or LB with the 8 pick or trade back. No too hard to find upgrades for the rest of the Defense in FA either... Anyone is better then who we had last year

It's a very strong FA market for CB's this year...the Vikes need to sign a starting caliber CB to pair him with Rhodes. IMO, even if they have to over-pay for one they'll still be o.k. since Rhodes will still be on his rookie contract for a few more years.

Fix the secondary in FA and concentrate on DL and LB in the draft. How nice would Rhodes and Verner sound heading into next year??

Spend some $$$ Rick!!

Waiting for Greenway to restructure also...if he refuses, I'd simply cut him. Being paid WAY too much money for what he does...which is not much.

Should free up another 4-5 M.

Yeah Greenway should restructure, he's been getting owned out there lately, he's one of the guys that you have to wonder if he'll benefit from a new system.

We definitely need to snag Verner, if not Vontae Davis would also be sweet.

I would love to get Verner, and Johnson from FA. That would plug 2 big holes in our defense. Restructure Greenways contract, and sign a decent LB, and use the draft to fill in the remaining holes, and you can then draft BPA. We do have the money to do that, so it is possible.

I'd have to guess Johnson is off our radar now after signing Griffen, that's probably why we signed Griffen and gave him a good deal shortly after talking with Johnsons agent.

I doubt Johnson wanted to play on this team for one and probably is looking for monster cash.

I forgot we re signed Griffen. Well then we best find a good safety in FA. One less need to go after in the draft.