• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

suggestion for ice fishing lake near Lutsen?

Our family is heading to Lutsen March 6-8. I don't ski, so I'm hoping to find a lake not too far away to spend the day ice fishing. Does anyone have a suggestion for me for some panfish action?

Thank you.

There really aren't any options. There are some good perch lakes off the caribou trail aways, but unless you have a snowmobile, your not getting to them. The only other option is to drive aways to some trout lakes up the gunflint trail. Also, with all the snow that's up there, slush could be a MAJOR issue if things start warming up by then. You might just be better off fishing the big pond in front of the river mouths.

Thanks for the reply. This may be a dumb question regarding "...fishing the big pond in front of the river mouths". Would I be fishing from shore in an open water situation, or is that fishing on ice?

thanks again.

Either way, can you provide a little info on how and what I would use and target, since I've never fished in the area. Thank you

It'd be open water. However, weather plays a role there too. Waves can pile ice up along the shoreline, making it unfishable. A trout stamp is required. Otherwise it's pretty simple. You can either cast spoons or float crawlers off the bottom. Lake Trout would be the most likely catch, but Steelhead or Coho Salmon are possible as well.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

JB is right on the money about finding any Gills or Crappies up there. Perch can be found as he said. Trout fishing lakes would be the best option, however JB nailed it again with the fact that slush could be very bad. Fishing the Big lake around the mouths of the rivers could produce a fish or 2. It would be shore fishing more than likely casting spoons, inline spinners, and minnow type lures. You could float a crawler off the bottom or under a float. Using a float you could use a looper bug tipped with wax worms,spawn bags, or a chunk of crawler. Make sure to read up on the fish of Lake Superior and the regs. The fish you will more than likely see are Steelhead or Kamloops make sure they are clipped fish if you keep it. Lake Trout could be around. Brook Trout,Whitefish, Burbot, Brown Trout, and Salmon this fish are doubtful, but it could happen. Check seasons and lengths limits and limits of all these fish.

Be careful down there, because it can be slick without ice to deal with. Good Luck and let us know how you do.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Ya beat me to it JB great info!!

Unless we get big winds I doubt there will be any shore casting up there. You might be able to get out on the ice if it is still here.

Seen some cool pics taken at a resort in Lutsen this morning. Shoreline is locked up with ice for as far out as the eye can see. Absolutely not safe for walking on though! In all all the times I've driven the north shore in the winter, this is the only time I've ever seen the shore that far up locked with ice. However, could just as easily be wide open water tomorrow at this time eek